Bone scan , prosthesis and chemo

kjrpcb
kjrpcb Member Posts: 41
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi all, the past two weeks have been a whirlwind. Healing well and feeling better.I saw my oncologist and she is answered all of my questions. I had my entourage with me. If I bring any more people with me they will have to move us to a conference room. I'm grateful that I have their support. I was a bit anxious and I think I had a bit of a panic attack during the tour of the chemo ward. I saw all of those people staring back at me in various stages of illness and I started feeling faint. Bone scan was done and it's clear YIPPEE. I have a MUGA on Friday and CT on Tuesday. I anticipate starting my TCH cocktail at the end of the week. My doctor enrolled me in a clinical trial not sure if I have been accepted but should know soon. If that isn't enough I had my fitting for my prosthesis. I was speechless when she told me the cost per prosthesis. I walked out out of the store with 4 bras and prosthesis x2 and the cost was over $800.00. I am so thankful I have medical insurance. I know that isn't the case for a lot of people. The bras feel and look great much better than the camisoles. In light of my meltdown at the chemo ward, can someone give me some insight into what to expect and how to prepare for chemo. When should I order a wig and has anyone attended the ACS look good feel good class. Surgery I can handle but the thought of loosing my hair if wigging me out (pardon the pun). Thanks for listening and as always ,thank you for your phenomenal support and words of encouragement.

Comments

• Look Good, Feel Better
    Whirlwind indeed!

I will be attending the ACS session on Saturday. I watched a video online to get an idea as to what to expect.

http://www.lookgoodfeelbetter.org/

I'm a bit jealous regarding the prothesis. I purchased temporary 'soft forms' to get me through returning to work after surgery, but will let my insurance pick up the tab on the 'droop sister' after radiation.

The hair thing hit me harder than I had expected. I decided to not go the wig route, but instead went with scarves and hats. Since completing chemo I have elected to go sans the coverings altogether. My personal comfort has become more important to me than making others feel comfortable.

Selfish? Maybe, but I'm OK with that for the time being.

Prayers for you and all the souls going through this journey.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    While I was getting chemo
    on Tuesday, a staff member from my local ACS chapter approached me with all kinds of info and gave me an appt with Look Good, Feel Better on Sept 14th. I'm having my head shaved on Aug 26th at my hairdressers. I plan on wearing turbans dressed up with hairbands. I don't work so don't see the need for a wig. At home I'll stay bald. I was told that if you want a wig that will match your current hair color you should do it before it falls out.

As for the prostheses and bras - I had already found out the exorbitant cost. I agree, TG for insurance. Mine pays 80% and I pay 20%. They even sell special ones for chlorine for swimming. They are a bit less expensive but don't last as long either. I had wanted to sign up for water therapy for my arthritis before I found out I had bc. So, I'll have to wait on the bathing suit. I have been wearing a post mastectomy camisole since surgery. It had removable pockets for the drains and has cotton boobs. I bought 2 so I could wash one while wearing the other. I plan on seeing a professional fitter some time this month for bras and prostheses for a more permanent basis.

So happy your bone scan was clear! Yeah! I'm having the PET scan on Aug 23rd.

As for the chemo room - I have 2 sisters who are bc survivors and I had a sister-in-law die in 1998 and a co-worker die in 1997 so I had been to chemo rooms sitting with them several times. For me it would be heartbreaking to see children. I'm glad it's only adults where I go. My cancer center is a brand new bldg just opened Monday. It's beautiful and the nurses are so helpful. Once you start and get the first one over with like I did on Tuesday the others should go fine. You'll be ok. You have the strength to kick this. And, I was prepared for the worst and am happily not having hardly any side effects.
    Sending cyber {{hugs}},
    Char
  • NDY2010
    NDY2010 Member Posts: 13 Member
    Look Good Feel Better
    Look Good Feel Better: I attended one of their meetings just last night (11 Aug 2010). They provide a cosmetologist to teach make-up techniqes plus info on hats, wigs, & scarves. The best part is they provide each participant with a "big free" bag of cosmetics (very high end brand names too). It's about a 2 hr session and the instructor used a volunteer to show the rest of us how to apply each item then we would apply our own (she would help us individually if we needed it too). She said that the local ACS has a location that any of us could go to and pick up a wig, hats, scarves,etc. All these items were donated and free to us (they even have some mastectomy bras at the Oklahoma City location). These were the nicest people, even provided refreshments and gave their phone numbers in case any of us wanted to call them later.

Hair Loss: I lost my hair 14 days after starting my chemo cocktail. I had already purchased two wigs (synthetics are highly recommended since they are more easy-care). Hair loss affects each of us differently. I wear a turban or even a do-ray around the house and when I go out I either wear a wig (granted they are so hot now) or a scarf & cap or hat. Actually there are perks to losing hair---no leg or underarm shaving & all the extra time saved by not having to mess with fixing our hair. Just shower & go!

Concerning chemo: I too got that same dreaded feeling when I toured the chemo ward and saw all those people hooked up to IVs but it's so different when you become one of them. After the first time you will never have to experience that scary "what is it going to feel like" feeling anymore. You'll find that a lot of your fellow patients are talking to each other, reading, listening to headphones, TV, working on laptops, etc. Hopefully you'll have a great chemo nurse like I have. It makes to whole experience so much easier for me.

Prosthesis: I didn't like the post-op camisole with its "giant cottonball insert" so just around the house I started wearing my sports bras & just left the strap off the mastectomy side (I found that was most comfortable) plus I still had the support of the other breast.

Yes, these boards are a life-saver especially for the newbies. I've certainly learned so much. One more hint, take a tape recorder to each doctor session (it helps with recall like you wouldn't believe).

Hang in there,
    Judy
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    NDY2010 said:

Look Good Feel Better
    Look Good Feel Better: I attended one of their meetings just last night (11 Aug 2010). They provide a cosmetologist to teach make-up techniqes plus info on hats, wigs, & scarves. The best part is they provide each participant with a "big free" bag of cosmetics (very high end brand names too). It's about a 2 hr session and the instructor used a volunteer to show the rest of us how to apply each item then we would apply our own (she would help us individually if we needed it too). She said that the local ACS has a location that any of us could go to and pick up a wig, hats, scarves,etc. All these items were donated and free to us (they even have some mastectomy bras at the Oklahoma City location). These were the nicest people, even provided refreshments and gave their phone numbers in case any of us wanted to call them later.

Hair Loss: I lost my hair 14 days after starting my chemo cocktail. I had already purchased two wigs (synthetics are highly recommended since they are more easy-care). Hair loss affects each of us differently. I wear a turban or even a do-ray around the house and when I go out I either wear a wig (granted they are so hot now) or a scarf & cap or hat. Actually there are perks to losing hair---no leg or underarm shaving & all the extra time saved by not having to mess with fixing our hair. Just shower & go!

Concerning chemo: I too got that same dreaded feeling when I toured the chemo ward and saw all those people hooked up to IVs but it's so different when you become one of them. After the first time you will never have to experience that scary "what is it going to feel like" feeling anymore. You'll find that a lot of your fellow patients are talking to each other, reading, listening to headphones, TV, working on laptops, etc. Hopefully you'll have a great chemo nurse like I have. It makes to whole experience so much easier for me.

Prosthesis: I didn't like the post-op camisole with its "giant cottonball insert" so just around the house I started wearing my sports bras & just left the strap off the mastectomy side (I found that was most comfortable) plus I still had the support of the other breast.

Yes, these boards are a life-saver especially for the newbies. I've certainly learned so much. One more hint, take a tape recorder to each doctor session (it helps with recall like you wouldn't believe).

Hang in there,
    Judy

The tape recorder is a good idea
    however, I had my daughter take notes for me and that worked well, too. Check your locas Amer. Cancer Soc. for bras/prosthesis/wigs. They are donated and FREE! My local office had about 200 wigs and I "borrowed" 2 that I got before I lost all my hair and got the ones that matched my hair color the best. I also wore them to my hairdresser and had her cut them to fit my face. I never shaved my head and my onc. told me it was good to leave the strands to form a cushion between my head and the wig. I finished chemo in Feb and radiation in May and as you can see I'm pretty much back to "normal".
    I found a really nice and comfortable bathing suit on girls4sports. The prosthesis fits quite well and looks very natural!
  • iowasignterp
    iowasignterp Member Posts: 55
    wigs, scarves, reconstruction, chemo
    Chemo can actually be quite a social event if you sit with the right people so don't be frightened of it. It is a long event and bring something to do if you get bored.

Regarding wigs, I felt that the wigs were awfully itchy and uncomfortable. i would strongly recommend getting a free one or two from the local ACS office first before plunking down a lot of money. Only wore it on a very few days. Look for wigs while you still have hair so that it can match more closely with what hair you still have. Scarves and hats were much more comfy.

I did the odd thing and had a hat and scarf party before I went bald. I told everyone that I was planning a party for collecting hats and scarves to donate to the Amer Cancer Soc. after I got to use them. My friends all had fun shopping for headgear, I did suggest a couple of the online sites like headcoverings unlimited, and I got to have a great party! I had about 15 different choices of headgear to choose from. It was a neat trying to coordinate my head with my outfits. At the end of the year, I donated them all back to the ACS office. They were thrilled and so was I.

I did prosthesis for about a year and then did reconstruction. Reconstsruction is still an option even 20 years later, insurance still pays then, too, i think. Reconstruction is painful for the first week but I liked it in the long run. If you do a reconstruction, they will do a breast lift on the other side so they will match more closely.
  • JanInMN
    JanInMN Member Posts: 149
    chemo prep
    Hi! I was freaked out by the chemo room too, but I found that the nurses are very caring and supportive. Mabye go in with the idea of making a friend, either with your nurse or another patient. Even if you have to "fake" the friendly attitute because you feel so overwhelmed. Let them know you are nevrous, and i'll be they'll help you feel more at ease. I brought "Chemo buddies" every week and we had fun playing games or watching DVDs. Chemo was a social event that I sort of looked forward to, in a way.
    :-)
    Yeah for the clear bone scan!!!!!

Hugs!
    jan
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    JanInMN said:

chemo prep
    Hi! I was freaked out by the chemo room too, but I found that the nurses are very caring and supportive. Mabye go in with the idea of making a friend, either with your nurse or another patient. Even if you have to "fake" the friendly attitute because you feel so overwhelmed. Let them know you are nevrous, and i'll be they'll help you feel more at ease. I brought "Chemo buddies" every week and we had fun playing games or watching DVDs. Chemo was a social event that I sort of looked forward to, in a way.
    :-)
    Yeah for the clear bone scan!!!!!

Hugs!
    jan

What great news to know that
    What great news to know that your bone scan is clear! Congrats!

Wishing you good luck and praying for good results on the rest of your tests next week.

Sue :)
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    cahjah75 said:

While I was getting chemo
    on Tuesday, a staff member from my local ACS chapter approached me with all kinds of info and gave me an appt with Look Good, Feel Better on Sept 14th. I'm having my head shaved on Aug 26th at my hairdressers. I plan on wearing turbans dressed up with hairbands. I don't work so don't see the need for a wig. At home I'll stay bald. I was told that if you want a wig that will match your current hair color you should do it before it falls out.

As for the prostheses and bras - I had already found out the exorbitant cost. I agree, TG for insurance. Mine pays 80% and I pay 20%. They even sell special ones for chlorine for swimming. They are a bit less expensive but don't last as long either. I had wanted to sign up for water therapy for my arthritis before I found out I had bc. So, I'll have to wait on the bathing suit. I have been wearing a post mastectomy camisole since surgery. It had removable pockets for the drains and has cotton boobs. I bought 2 so I could wash one while wearing the other. I plan on seeing a professional fitter some time this month for bras and prostheses for a more permanent basis.

So happy your bone scan was clear! Yeah! I'm having the PET scan on Aug 23rd.

As for the chemo room - I have 2 sisters who are bc survivors and I had a sister-in-law die in 1998 and a co-worker die in 1997 so I had been to chemo rooms sitting with them several times. For me it would be heartbreaking to see children. I'm glad it's only adults where I go. My cancer center is a brand new bldg just opened Monday. It's beautiful and the nurses are so helpful. Once you start and get the first one over with like I did on Tuesday the others should go fine. You'll be ok. You have the strength to kick this. And, I was prepared for the worst and am happily not having hardly any side effects.
    Sending cyber {{hugs}},
    Char

Congratulations on the bone
    Congratulations on the bone scan!

Hugs, Jan
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Congrad's on a clear bone
    Congrad's on a clear bone scan!
    I went to the look good feel good class before i started chemo...its a great class! They give you wigs, hats or scarfs. They also show you how to put on makeup when loosing your eyelashes and eyebrows and they did a really good job of that plus little tips on makeup and other stuff.
    I bought a wig and i swore i would wear it daily and when it came down to it, i hated it and always wore bandanas cuz thats what i was more comfortable in.
    Good luck on your chemo!
  • jackiejhm
    jackiejhm Member Posts: 169
    jo jo said:

Congrad's on a clear bone
    Congrad's on a clear bone scan!
    I went to the look good feel good class before i started chemo...its a great class! They give you wigs, hats or scarfs. They also show you how to put on makeup when loosing your eyelashes and eyebrows and they did a really good job of that plus little tips on makeup and other stuff.
    I bought a wig and i swore i would wear it daily and when it came down to it, i hated it and always wore bandanas cuz thats what i was more comfortable in.
    Good luck on your chemo!

Congratulations!
    Great news on the bone scan! Chemo is a bear, for sure. But, you can do it! I met some of the most wonderful people in my time in the Chemo suite. Really fantastic folks-like us that were there to "do battle" with that beast. Hang in there. Your hair will grow back-later, it really will. I agree with JoJo- my wigs sat on there stands quite a bit! Bandanas were waayyy more comfy. Take it easy on yourself. You MAY be one of those gals that sails right through!!!! Any questions- Post right here. I don't know how I would have made it through with out all of the help from these amazing ladies! You're in my thoughts and prayers! xo Jackie
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Hi there.
    Before you buy any wigs, please check with your local American Cancer Society. My local office has a "wig room" where you can try on and pick one wig for free. I also purchased 2 before I found out for the free wig. Everyone is different. I have had 3 of my 4 scheduled chemo treatments and still have hair. I got it got really short. I did lose some. It came out in strands not clumps. I do have a few spots that are thin, but no bald spots. My doctor was actually surprised last week that I still had hair. She did worn me that it still may fall out.