Good Comeback lines

2»

Comments

• fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member

worst thing anyone ever said to me was...
    I had just told my male boss that I was diagnosed with breast cancer. He thought for a moment and said, "Well, death IS the best option. THEN you will be with God."

I put my purse down and started to walk out the door. He asked me where I was going.

I told him that it was close enough to quitting time I'm just going to get a jump start on this thing and go stand out in 5:00 traffic and get it over with.

Needless to say, I've been looking for a new job ever since.

xxoo,
    SamuraiMom

SamuraiMom,
    Why isn't he

SamuraiMom,
    Why isn't he looking for a new job? I would think that if there were ever a case for harrassment this is it. This was beyond insensitive iit was cruel and he should be reported. If he feels free to say such an ugly thing to someone with a serious health issue he must feel he can say anything to anyone. I know it has probably been awhile since this happened but I would still let someone where you used to work know. No one should be able to talk to someone in this way. Wow, this really, really pi55ed me off. Well, hopefully karma will be paying him a visit real soon. I did like your comeback but again, he should have been the one job hunting.
    Stef
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    Before I knew I had cancer,
    Before I knew I had cancer, a friend at work gave me one of those little plastic signs. She thought I was preety smart and admired me for it. The sign says "Brain Loading". Well I have it taped on the front of my desk. I think it has become even more appropriate since I have gone through chemo but of course not for the same reason.

Hugs

Donna
  • sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member

Before I knew I had cancer,
    Before I knew I had cancer, a friend at work gave me one of those little plastic signs. She thought I was preety smart and admired me for it. The sign says "Brain Loading". Well I have it taped on the front of my desk. I think it has become even more appropriate since I have gone through chemo but of course not for the same reason.

Hugs

Donna

from a friend
    I was told when her neighbor had BC a woman informed her of someone who had died of BC. Her friend looked at the woman and said, "Well aren't you just a little ray of sunshine!"
  • kdw1008
    kdw1008 Member Posts: 7
    Thank you!!!
    I love the stop story and wish i had had it for the last 4 months!! It really is amazing how people can say things without thinking of the person with cancer. Fortunately I've had more positive stories than negatives - now i can use that line and have no more negatives!!!
  • Emilyfimily
    Emilyfimily Member Posts: 141

from a friend
    I was told when her neighbor had BC a woman informed her of someone who had died of BC. Her friend looked at the woman and said, "Well aren't you just a little ray of sunshine!"

ROTFL!! Oh, now I'm
    ROTFL!! Oh, now I'm giggling...
  • reeseslover1234
    reeseslover1234 Member Posts: 87
    Good Comeback Lines
    My thing is when people stare at you and you make eye contact and they KEEP staring or look away like you didn't just catch them. At least little kids will smile back at you...if your bald head and lack of eyelashes and eyebrows don't make them hide behind their mothers. Women are the worst. Most of the time men will acknowledge the fact that you caught them staring. I would like to have something brilliant to say to THESE people.
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member

Good Comeback Lines
    My thing is when people stare at you and you make eye contact and they KEEP staring or look away like you didn't just catch them. At least little kids will smile back at you...if your bald head and lack of eyelashes and eyebrows don't make them hide behind their mothers. Women are the worst. Most of the time men will acknowledge the fact that you caught them staring. I would like to have something brilliant to say to THESE people.

The words "cancer" and "chemo" scare people to death
    When I was going through treatment, I cut a lot of slack for friends or acquaintances who just didn't know what to say, but were honestly trying to say something nice or be supportive, even if it came off as insensitive or clumsy.

But strangers who stared or asked questions that were just plain rude, no matter who you are ("What did you do to your hair?") -- I immediately threw the words "cancer" and "chemo" back at them, because they make people uncomfortable, and generally shut them up: "I have cancer, and I'm doing chemo -- anything else you'd like to know?"

Traci
  • jackiejhm
    jackiejhm Member Posts: 169
    TraciInLA said:

The words "cancer" and "chemo" scare people to death
    When I was going through treatment, I cut a lot of slack for friends or acquaintances who just didn't know what to say, but were honestly trying to say something nice or be supportive, even if it came off as insensitive or clumsy.

But strangers who stared or asked questions that were just plain rude, no matter who you are ("What did you do to your hair?") -- I immediately threw the words "cancer" and "chemo" back at them, because they make people uncomfortable, and generally shut them up: "I have cancer, and I'm doing chemo -- anything else you'd like to know?"

Traci

You are so right Traci!
    I found it easy to forgive most people. After all, when we are walking reminders of the "unthinkable" it scares folks-well, some of them anyway. Its the "mean ones" I mentally deliver an open handed slap to the top of their tiny little heads!!!!!Grrrrrr.....
    xoxo, Jackie
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member

Got one
    A friend told me when her Aunt had cancer someone did the I know someone who died of cancer. Her Aunt reached out patted them on the arm and said, "Oh that is awful but arent you glad you can't die from stupid?"

I WILL remember this
    I WILL remember this one,...I love it!
  • tat2granny
    tat2granny Member Posts: 77
    jackiejhm said:

You are so right Traci!
    I found it easy to forgive most people. After all, when we are walking reminders of the "unthinkable" it scares folks-well, some of them anyway. Its the "mean ones" I mentally deliver an open handed slap to the top of their tiny little heads!!!!!Grrrrrr.....
    xoxo, Jackie

I have had the same thing happen to me.
    People look at me with THAT look, and I tell them the hairdo is a chemo special, that only the Brave can get! Just for the select few!!!