Post Vanderbilt consult......and the verdict is.........

Buzzard
Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Sept 7th surgery date....VATS....remove section on lower part of upper left lobe where the lingula is holding a 1.4 centimeter mass. It is unknown what it is but most likely malignant..The important thing is, Im trying to dodge a metastisis from CRC and hopefully (and what something to hope for) it is a primary tumor with no CRC cells. They will then take it out and bim bam boom done , no chemo , no muss, no fuss. But, if it is met from CRC its a straight shot from Stage 1A to Stage 4, what a pisser...but, it is what it is and I'll deal with it if it happens. I told him bedside manner was great for infants but I want to be kept fully abreast of where I am in this at all times. He says 3 days in hospital, 4-6 weeks recoup (nope, not that long) and then slowly build back up. I have a fishing trip planned 1st of Oct and I will be there. We had several options but I told him I wanted it out asap and we can gawk at it and check it out after its outta me...I go back to Vandy the 24th for pre op and also a pulmonary check to assure I will have enough capability to keep myself alive after the ventilator is removed, I am most certain that will be a go.

He did ask me what my interpretation of a PET scan was and when I answered he asked where I had learned all the techy stuff...I informed him of this place...Most likely he will be lurking.....I made him promise me 2 things...clear margins, and never ever chit me around...we shook hands and its game on...mets would be a kick in the butt but I am expecting the worse and anything above that I will take...if things go awry ( and I am not figuring on that but ) then I finally get some well needed rest....so its all good...told me he could tell whether it was mets or not being either adenocarcinoma or squamous cell, its just that adenocarcinoma is harder to path but can be done....by a few extra tests...so lets just hope for benign or primary mass...but im pretty much ready for whatever it is.......my wife had her meltdown today but she is fine now...she knows that she can't do it all but she still tries.....she is a warrior and now we are on the same page........Love to all, Buzz

Comments

• Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    You are something!
    Thank you for letting us know so quickly what the results are. Am sure all here were as anxious as I was yesterday to know how things went.

It sounds like you and the doc have a good understanding of how things should go and that is a big step in getting the job done. I hope he dose lurk here so he can see the strength of each person as they travel the path they are given with cancer. And who knows, he may find some things here regarding diagnosis and treatment that lead him to things he didn't know. After all with our 'population' we have a better cross section of the medical profession than he probably ever dreamed up talking to.

I guess surgery was always in the cards and I am sure you will come through with flying colors. As far as the fishing trip is concerned, go for it if you are feeling up to it. But one suggestion, if it is fly fishing with all that casting, get a buddy to cast for you to keep from pulling too much on you wound. Unless of course you don't really care if you catch anything or not, then just plant the line over the side and sit back and relax with the buddies. Let them do the hard work.

I know it must be extremely difficult for your wife. I don't think we can ever fully appreciate all that our loved ones suffer as we move through this. We patients at least can get in there and fight, while they have to stand at our side and hope and pray.

My prayers to both of you as you each face this new challenge.

Marie
  • greybeard64
    greybeard64 Member Posts: 254
    good luck BUZZ
    You sure have the right attitude, and if your looking for good karma, they scheduled your surgery on my B-day. So if nothing else I'll be sending good mojo that day. I bet most surgeons would appreciate you straight forward approach to all this, seems the good ones dont always have the best "bed side manner", but like you I want a straight shooter. Give me a highly qualified confident surgeon with crappy bed side skills over a good cutter with great cheerleading skills every time.
    Glad your wife is there for you, and bless her, I have seen this melt down first hand. She sounds like a great woman. She cleared that crap from her system and can now stand along side you.
    Good luck Buzz, you have many on here that will be pulling for you. your a well received member of this board and your posts are a benefit to many!
    hope this finds ya smilin'
    Chris
  • dorookie
    dorookie Member Posts: 1,731 Member
    VATS
    What is that exactly? I have read about it alot here, I had a lung met in 08, they did a wedge removal, cut me open, took part of a rib out, hurts to this day. But is the VATS less intrusive? I sure hope so.

I know your going to be just fine. I pray for whatever it is you want it, and that we are both here for amny years to look back at this and laugh or at least smile. Why are they waiting till Sept to do the surgery? I found out my was cancer on the 12th of Nov, had surgery 6 days later, is there a reason?

I hate to hear your wife is having a hard time, but who can blame her, we all can relate. I will be praying for her too.

Please let me know if you need anything buddy....I am here....

HUGS
    Beth
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Benign
    Benign is what I am hoping for Buzz. But if not, you are facing it square on + "taking no prisoners" + I really admire your style. I am wishing you the best outcome!
  • luv3jay
    luv3jay Member Posts: 533 Member
    You already know that I'm in
    You already know that I'm in your corner Buzz! And I fully believe you will be on that fishing trip in October. VATS is an easy-peazy procedure! Here's hoping for the best!

-Sheri
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • HollyID
    HollyID Member Posts: 946 Member
    Right around the corner...
    Hey with it being Chris' birthday, what can go wrong?

I'm like you, Buzz. I want the straight shooters and I don't appreciate beating around a bush. I think that's why I loved my surgeon so much. "Holly, you have cancer". "OK, what do we do to fix this?"

My heart goes out to your wife. Dave is a very private person and he's never spoken of his feelings and when I ask and he doesn't want to talk, I know it's time to back off. They go through so much. Often times, I think much more than us.

Go fishing. I love fishing so much that I could do it every day all day long. I don't fly fish, but one day, I will learn.

I'm personally predicting a benign tumor. My crystal ball says benign. :)

Luv ya bud.

Holly
  • Buzzard
    HollyID said:

Right around the corner...
    Hey with it being Chris' birthday, what can go wrong?

I'm like you, Buzz. I want the straight shooters and I don't appreciate beating around a bush. I think that's why I loved my surgeon so much. "Holly, you have cancer". "OK, what do we do to fix this?"

My heart goes out to your wife. Dave is a very private person and he's never spoken of his feelings and when I ask and he doesn't want to talk, I know it's time to back off. They go through so much. Often times, I think much more than us.

Go fishing. I love fishing so much that I could do it every day all day long. I don't fly fish, but one day, I will learn.

I'm personally predicting a benign tumor. My crystal ball says benign. :)

Luv ya bud.

Holly

Thanks all......but no fly fishing.....
    Crappie fishing.....I slow troll, fast troll, spider rig, single pole, cast, pull, long line, cork and jig...etc etc etc.....I am a crappie fanatic...there is only one thing that beats crappie fishing.....LOL.....................and thats eatin' em !! LOL, love to all, Buzz

and Beth...to answer your question on VATS.....

What is VATS?

Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery is a minimally invasive surgical procedure used to diagnose and treat illness or injury to the lung and other organs in the chest cavity (thorax).

How does VATS work?

During VATS, a tiny camera with a light source is inserted through a small incision between the ribs. A second small incision is used to insert special instruments between the ribs into the chest cavity.

What's the difference between VATS and traditional surgery?

Traditional thoracic surgery involves a large (6- to 10-inch) incision in which the ribs are spread apart for the surgeon to gain access to the organs in the chest cavity. This procedure, known as a thoracotomy is still very safe, but involves a longer recovery than a VATS procedure.

What's the recovery time for VATS patients?

VATS patients can typically go home in one to three days (often the following day). Other benefits of VATS include less pain and a quicker return to a normal active lifestyle.
    What conditions can be treated using a VATS procedure?

VATS can be used to diagnose and stage lung cancer, remove cancerous and benign tumors, diagnose and treat fluid around the lung or heart, remove portions of a diseased lung and diagnose and treat certain conditions of the esophagus including cancers. New uses for VATS are continually being developed.............Hope that helped...Love to you also....Buzz
  • Crow71
    Crow71 Member Posts: 679 Member
    Hey Buzz - I'm thinking the
    Hey Buzz - I'm thinking the tumor is benign. Either way, I admire the way you think and fight.
    Roger
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    Crow71 said:

Hey Buzz - I'm thinking the tumor is benign. Either way, I admire the way you think and fight.
    Roger

Buzz is it the same
    Than a laparoscopy?
  • 462lt
    462lt Member Posts: 117
    Crow71 said:

Roger

Amazing
    It is amazing what they can do now days instead of slicing you open like a fish.lol. When is the fish fry. Laura
  • just4Brooks
    just4Brooks Member Posts: 980 Member
    Hats off
    Hats off to you and your wife. Together you two will get through this. You guys are great and us younger (much younger) couples can learn from you two.

Most of all BUZZ you just remember to keep being you. You still owe me some "Possum stew"

Brooks

P.S. Hey, I Found a great recipe for that stew.

~ Possum Stew ~

two cans of tomatoe sauce
    three cans of cooked tomatoes

1/2 thickly sliced warthog meat(mainly for flavor)

a big bag of pasta noodles (any redneck kind will do)

salt and pepper

1/2 possum (other 1/2 can be used for breakfast possum-omlettes)

Fry bacon in big gramma kettle, over mid. size fire, then fry possum in the grease till golden brown. Take the meat out, then add enough water to pot to fill 2/3 way and then boil noodles. Once cooked add both things of tomatoes to kettle and meat and add enough salt and pepper to old granny's taste. Cook all together for a bout 1 hour simmering over low fire to sautee.
  • Buzzard

Hats off
    Hats off to you and your wife. Together you two will get through this. You guys are great and us younger (much younger) couples can learn from you two.

Most of all BUZZ you just remember to keep being you. You still owe me some "Possum stew"

Brooks

P.S. Hey, I Found a great recipe for that stew.

~ Possum Stew ~

two cans of tomatoe sauce
    three cans of cooked tomatoes

1/2 thickly sliced warthog meat(mainly for flavor)

a big bag of pasta noodles (any redneck kind will do)

salt and pepper

1/2 possum (other 1/2 can be used for breakfast possum-omlettes)

Fry bacon in big gramma kettle, over mid. size fire, then fry possum in the grease till golden brown. Take the meat out, then add enough water to pot to fill 2/3 way and then boil noodles. Once cooked add both things of tomatoes to kettle and meat and add enough salt and pepper to old granny's taste. Cook all together for a bout 1 hour simmering over low fire to sautee.

Then throw it all out and eat the pot.......
    and I think thats the best recipe I thought of....... :)
  • Buzzard
    pepebcn said:

Buzz is it the same
    Than a laparoscopy?

yes pepebcn..
    as far as I can tell it is....They did the 2 open cuts on each side of my rectum during CRC surgery and did the cutting loose through 5 holes in my stomach...I am "assuming" that the VATS procedure is just about the same thing or close anyway.."minimally invasive" is the relative factor here.....Buzz
  • Buzzard
    462lt said:

Amazing
    It is amazing what they can do now days instead of slicing you open like a fish.lol. When is the fish fry. Laura

Hmm........Nice analogy.........LOL...
    but efficient and to the point.....LOL...just kiddin sweetie...fish fry will be Sept 7th.....oops dang sorry, I won't be able to make it.....other plans I have to attend to....lets see, I think November would be great..... :)...Bon A Petit'.....Buzz
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Surgery
    Sounds like you and your doctor are pretty much up to speed what the next steps are. Hoping that your surgery is a complete success and you have a very speedy recovery. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Kim
  • christinecarl
    christinecarl Member Posts: 543 Member
    Kick its ****
    I predict a fast recovery and nothing but good news for you. 41 more years to go.
  • christinecarl
    Kick its ****
    I predict a fast recovery and nothing but good news for you. 41 more years to go.
  • christinecarl
    oops

oops
  • Aud
    Aud Member Posts: 479 Member
    Buzz
    thinking about you and holding you in the Light, as always. hoping and praying it's benign -- either way, we're all there with ya.
    love and hope,
    Audrey