How many days do you take anti-nausea meds?

kdw1008
kdw1008 Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am about a week out of my 3rd of 6 chemo treatments (taxotere, carboplatin and herceptin) and still having some stomach problems/nausea. Fpr my first 3 treatments i took Zofran every 6 hours and promethazine in between (so i take something every 3 hours) for 2-3 days after chemo day. They work ok and I've just had nausea but this time it seemed worse and lasted longer.

Need to talk to my onc i know, but just curious how many days after chemo others take the anti-nausea meds? Did you have to up the # of days each treatment or did it stay about the same? Thanks for any info - Im always looking ahead to get prepared for the next treatment!!

Comments

• Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    Make sure your Onc knows how long you're nauseaus
    I was on on those particular meds, but I had nausea for 4 - 5 days.
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Nausea Meds.....
    I started my nausea meds the day before each chemo, in addition to Dexadron, which is also an antinausea med in addition to being a steriod. I took Zofran and Compazine....took them for a total of 5 days........the day before, the day of and for 3 days following each infusion...plus I was given antinausea meds via IV before the chemo drugs were administered. I was so very lucky.....never had the first wave of nausea.....I was told it's easier to prevent it than to get it under control once it starts....I was also told to keep REAL ginger root on hand in case it was needed.....you can grate some of it and drink it as a not tea

Hoping you feel better soon!
  • MAJW said:

Nausea Meds.....
    I started my nausea meds the day before each chemo, in addition to Dexadron, which is also an antinausea med in addition to being a steriod. I took Zofran and Compazine....took them for a total of 5 days........the day before, the day of and for 3 days following each infusion...plus I was given antinausea meds via IV before the chemo drugs were administered. I was so very lucky.....never had the first wave of nausea.....I was told it's easier to prevent it than to get it under control once it starts....I was also told to keep REAL ginger root on hand in case it was needed.....you can grate some of it and drink it as a not tea

Infused on my chemo day
    One day prior, two days after
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    MAJW said:

Nausea Meds.....

I took scheduled emend,
    I took scheduled emend, decadron and zofran. zofran made me constipated so I stopped it, cant take compazine. I didnt have big time nausea after I finished my scheduled meds. just felt "off" and did nt feel like eating much. mostly managed this with "sick" foods. lots of chivken soup, toast etc... MAjw is right about keeping ahead of it. I have heard ginger root is good I never tried it though.
  • kdw1008
    kdw1008 Member Posts: 7
    MAJW said:

Nausea Meds.....

Yes i take the Dexadron also
    Yes i take the Dexadron also - day before, day of and day after and i get something in IV during chemo - cant remember what! You are so lucky! Yes I will try the ginger root also - thanks!
  • Pinkpower
    Pinkpower Member Posts: 437
    I ws on the same cocktail as
    I ws on the same cocktail as you are now. Zofran was not a good match for me, it triggered my migraine headaches so doc gave me Dexamethasone, this one worked for me and I took it for 4-5 days after each treatment depending if I felt nausea or not, if I didnt, then of course I would stop taking the med after 3days. Plus I found out early on that eating something every 2-3 hours helped control the nausea, just like when I was pregnant with my girls. Even if its an apple or some cheese.
  • cookie97
    cookie97 Member Posts: 200
    I also am taking Dexadron
    My doctor gave me every drug possible just in case I needed them. I thought that I would take one of the stronger ones which was Phenegran alternating with the decadron. I had the worst monday morning medicine hang over! So now I only take the Dexadron the day of and the day after and just watch what I eat.

Hope that's what you were looking for and good luck.

Here's hoping that you can keep that boat from rockin as much as possible!
    Edie
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    My oncologist
    gave me Dexa for the day before chemo and to take days 2 & 3 after. I was given something in IV also. Took Emend just before infusion and on days 2 & 3 after. So far I've had no nausea. However, on my "what to look for sheet" given by onco nurses, it does say to report to oncologist any lasting nausea or vomiting. Good luck and call your dr. Sending {{hugs}}.
    Char
  • tjohnson2310
    tjohnson2310 Member Posts: 168 Member
    MAJW said:

Nausea Meds.....

Avoid greasy fatty foods
    Have a light meal on the day of chemo and avoid fatty greasy foods for at least 48 hours. Also as soon as you feel nauseated take something.Stay on top of it. This has helped me through 4 cycles of Taxol.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    cahjah75 said:

My oncologist
    gave me Dexa for the day before chemo and to take days 2 & 3 after. I was given something in IV also. Took Emend just before infusion and on days 2 & 3 after. So far I've had no nausea. However, on my "what to look for sheet" given by onco nurses, it does say to report to oncologist any lasting nausea or vomiting. Good luck and call your dr. Sending {{hugs}}.
    Char

why dont you girls get emend
    why dont you girls get emend ? it is great. also ativan is a good "as needed" med, it helps anxiety but it also helps nausea. I took befor I wnet to bed for sleep and to get through the night without nausea. I have never heard of decadron as an "as needed" med for nausea, i just took it as a scheduled dose, be careful, it is a steroid.