Sooooo sick of splitting nails.

BlownAway60
BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Sooooo sick of splitting nails.

Since chemo I have had ridges running through my nails and they keep splitting. I thought about getting some super glue and just paint it up and down my nails.

What have you all used to stop your nails from splitting.

Hugs

Donna

Comments

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    I don't know, Miss Donna - I'm right
    there with you .. Frustrated with bleeding nails and nail beds.

Anyone ?
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Hi Donna
    My last chemo was end of Jan. This past month or two the ridges are about grown out. I'm taking vitamin E 800 I.U. and Selenium for the past month and using "Love My Nails" nail strengthener $1 a bottle from Walmart and just started polishing them. Base coat, 2 coats of color, and top coat. I like the Love My Nails brand, they dry fast and last long. Now they are long and strong, no splitting. I think it's the E thats helping because my hair has been coming in faster too.
  • laurissa said:

Hi Donna
    My last chemo was end of Jan. This past month or two the ridges are about grown out. I'm taking vitamin E 800 I.U. and Selenium for the past month and using "Love My Nails" nail strengthener $1 a bottle from Walmart and just started polishing them. Base coat, 2 coats of color, and top coat. I like the Love My Nails brand, they dry fast and last long. Now they are long and strong, no splitting. I think it's the E thats helping because my hair has been coming in faster too.

An upside to chemo?
    Aside from the funky white zebra stripes my nails have never been stronger.

Alas, I know that should my hair ever comeback, my nails will likely return to that flimsy pre-treatment state.

*sigh*

I'd follow laurissa's advice.
  • BlownAway60
    laurissa said:

Hi Donna

Thanks Laurissa,
    I tried the

Thanks Laurissa,

I tried the Sally Hansen stuff. Next time I go to Walmart I will pick up some of the "Love My Nails" stuff and give it a try.

Hugs

Donna
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Nails.......Splitting of SPITTING?.........
    First, I misread your title..I thought it said....."Tired of SPITTING nails".......duh duh duh here.......I'm claiming chemo brain on that one......

anyway, I was warned from the beginning to take extra good care of my nails and toenails....but no professional mani's or pedi's.....I used Sally Hansen's Triple Strength.....it comes in a green bottle, got mine at Walgreens......About $5....You apply two coats, it's clear, then a coat every other day....my nails never split, as a matter of fact they were strong.......not pretty, ie ridges and discoloration, but they were strong! I also used Essie nailpolish in a shade called Mademoiselle..it's a pale pale pink....It hid the ridges and discoloration.....I used a gentle non acetone polish remover when I wanted to redo which I did about once a week......I keep bright polish on my toenails at ALL TIMES......they were sooooooooooo ugly! I finished chemo 1 year ago this month........(YEAH) and all nails are FINALLY back to normal.....my hair is now over 5 " long and kinky curly! I love it!

So, hang in there, all these things take time to get back to "normal!"
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    VickiSam said:

I don't know, Miss Donna - I'm right
    there with you .. Frustrated with bleeding nails and nail beds.

Anyone ?

So sorry Donna. I wish I
    So sorry Donna. I wish I knew something to help you, but, I don't. But, I bet some of our sisters in pink will help you!

Sue :)
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    MAJW said:

Nails.......Splitting of SPITTING?.........
    First, I misread your title..I thought it said....."Tired of SPITTING nails".......duh duh duh here.......I'm claiming chemo brain on that one......

anyway, I was warned from the beginning to take extra good care of my nails and toenails....but no professional mani's or pedi's.....I used Sally Hansen's Triple Strength.....it comes in a green bottle, got mine at Walgreens......About $5....You apply two coats, it's clear, then a coat every other day....my nails never split, as a matter of fact they were strong.......not pretty, ie ridges and discoloration, but they were strong! I also used Essie nailpolish in a shade called Mademoiselle..it's a pale pale pink....It hid the ridges and discoloration.....I used a gentle non acetone polish remover when I wanted to redo which I did about once a week......I keep bright polish on my toenails at ALL TIMES......they were sooooooooooo ugly! I finished chemo 1 year ago this month........(YEAH) and all nails are FINALLY back to normal.....my hair is now over 5 " long and kinky curly! I love it!

So, hang in there, all these things take time to get back to "normal!"

I dont have the problem
    I dont have the problem with them splitting, I have the ridges across my nails...so far theres about 4-5 ridges in each nail...i liked your idea of putting glue on them...might make them smoother...hehe!

MAJW it must be something in the air cuz i too had that DUH moment when i first read the post...i thought it said SPITTING too...hehe!
  • BlownAway60
    Wish I could spit nails. May
    Wish I could spit nails. May I could win America's Got Talent and go to Vegas and have my own show.

Hugs

Donna
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

Wish I could spit nails. May
    Wish I could spit nails. May I could win America's Got Talent and go to Vegas and have my own show.

Hugs

Donna

Ok .. I'm going to take the bull by the horns .. Went to
    my local salon (known me for years) recommendation was - Nailtiques formula 2 -- 1/2 fluid oz $18.25 ... Pure nail protein .. I'll update you girls in 6 weeks on my nail condition.

I am also going back to basic's .. by using my Pink and Purple Playtex gloves when washing dishes and toilets! I imagine this may help - haha!

Vicki Sam
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    How far into treatment
    did nails start to form ridges and/or splitting??? The Vit E sounds easy enough to do. Vicki Sam please do let us know how your nails do :-)
    Char
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    cahjah75 said:

How far into treatment
    did nails start to form ridges and/or splitting??? The Vit E sounds easy enough to do. Vicki Sam please do let us know how your nails do :-)
    Char

Char if i remember correctly
    Char if i remember correctly my ridges started to appear close to the end of chemo and havent stopped yet...must have chemo still in the system or they plan on stayin that way...which i hope they dont.
  • Scotch Freckles
    Scotch Freckles Member Posts: 273 Member
    Spliting Nails
    The cause is the chemo. Each dose is a tramatic experience on your system. After chemo your nails will grow back normally and maybe stonger. This I have experience. You might want to have your iodine levels checked. I was surprised how much iodine levels effect hair and nails. But, hang in there, all gets better with time.
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member

Spliting Nails
    The cause is the chemo. Each dose is a tramatic experience on your system. After chemo your nails will grow back normally and maybe stonger. This I have experience. You might want to have your iodine levels checked. I was surprised how much iodine levels effect hair and nails. But, hang in there, all gets better with time.

My hairdresser gave me "Nail Envy" by OPI and it
    is wonderful. It held my nails together and they were able to grow out without coming off in the middleof my finger. It is a nail strengthener and it really did the trick for me.

Good luck, it's a pain in the butt. My last chemo was 12-11 and by June my nails were pretty much back to normal.

Hugs, Judy :-)
  • BlownAway60
    Skeezie said:

My hairdresser gave me "Nail Envy" by OPI and it
    is wonderful. It held my nails together and they were able to grow out without coming off in the middleof my finger. It is a nail strengthener and it really did the trick for me.

Good luck, it's a pain in the butt. My last chemo was 12-11 and by June my nails were pretty much back to normal.

Hugs, Judy :-)

Thanks Judy,
    I will have to

Thanks Judy,

I will have to see if I can find some of it. My last chemo was 2-26.

Hugs

Donna
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    I was told to use tea tree
    I was told to use tea tree oil to try and keep them from drying and cracking. I used it every day. I did get the white lines, black spots and some deep ridges but they never cracked or bled. Its been almost a year since my final chemo and I still have the ridges in some of them.
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    VickiSam said:

Ok .. I'm going to take the bull by the horns .. Went to
    my local salon (known me for years) recommendation was - Nailtiques formula 2 -- 1/2 fluid oz $18.25 ... Pure nail protein .. I'll update you girls in 6 weeks on my nail condition.

I am also going back to basic's .. by using my Pink and Purple Playtex gloves when washing dishes and toilets! I imagine this may help - haha!

Vicki Sam

Vicki I've been using
    Vicki I've been using nailteques for years. Started using it when I removed fake nails which ruined my real nails. Perhaps my nails are simply accustom to it because they still have ridges and break. They seem to be getting better now, but arent what they used to be. I actually mended one of them with a tea bag covering and super glue. I dont recommend super glue but it sure did help. I'll be anxious to know how nailteques works for you. Ah the joys BC brings to all of us. :)