Stupid Radiation ?

waffle8
waffle8 Member Posts: 234
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
OK ladies tell me where to put all that cream during radiation? Wondering about under the breast? Does it cause to much moisture? Any thoughts?
Thanks.....

Comments

• BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    I was told to put it on my
    I was told to put it on my breast, under my breast, under my arm and half way up my chest wall.

Hugs

Donna
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member

I was told to put it on my
    I was told to put it on my breast, under my breast, under my arm and half way up my chest wall.

Hugs

Donna

I agree with Donna
    Just smear that stuff all over--wherever you think was radiated and beyond. I switched back and forth between Eucerin cream and 100% aloe gel (towards the end). I just finished 33 rads last week, sorta red, sorta sore, but the rad. onc. said I looked great. I think the creams helped a lot.

Good luck,
    Renee
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    missrenee said:

I agree with Donna
    Just smear that stuff all over--wherever you think was radiated and beyond. I switched back and forth between Eucerin cream and 100% aloe gel (towards the end). I just finished 33 rads last week, sorta red, sorta sore, but the rad. onc. said I looked great. I think the creams helped a lot.

Good luck,
    Renee

I put it under my breast,
    I put it under my breast, all over my breast and clear up to my neck. I wanted to make sure that everything was moisturized. I used Aquaphor really heavy at night and Biafine under that. And, it worked. My skin looks great!
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    DebbyM said:

I put it under my breast,
    I put it under my breast, all over my breast and clear up to my neck. I wanted to make sure that everything was moisturized. I used Aquaphor really heavy at night and Biafine under that. And, it worked. My skin looks great!

All I can tell you is
    All I can tell you is moisturise alot. All over the side and back under the boob and up the neck. I did this twice a day.
  • sausageroll
    sausageroll Member Posts: 415
    Kat11 said:

All I can tell you is
    All I can tell you is moisturise alot. All over the side and back under the boob and up the neck. I did this twice a day.

Depends
    Depends on where you are getting radiation...but most likely on your back too.
  • Betsy13
    Betsy13 Member Posts: 185
    Aloe
    ditto on what everyone else said. I used Aloe 3 times per day. Once I had a horrific burn and I used hydrocortizone all over, then neosporin all over, then xeroform petrolatum dressing (got from rad. onc.), then 3in x 8in non-adherent dressing (got from rad. onc.), then put on my bra (ruined it!), then benadryl, then an ice pack. It took about an hour for the burning and itching to go away. Fortunately, these episodes lasted on and off for about a week.

What caused this was I had burning and itching and the rad. nurse gave me a "cooling gel pad". It was wonderful. It worked great! I am allergic to the gel...

With all that being said, I don't think what happened to me is the normal. So, put on tons of moisturizer and drink lots of water!

Good luck,
    Betsy
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Betsy13 said:

Aloe
    ditto on what everyone else said. I used Aloe 3 times per day. Once I had a horrific burn and I used hydrocortizone all over, then neosporin all over, then xeroform petrolatum dressing (got from rad. onc.), then 3in x 8in non-adherent dressing (got from rad. onc.), then put on my bra (ruined it!), then benadryl, then an ice pack. It took about an hour for the burning and itching to go away. Fortunately, these episodes lasted on and off for about a week.

What caused this was I had burning and itching and the rad. nurse gave me a "cooling gel pad". It was wonderful. It worked great! I am allergic to the gel...

With all that being said, I don't think what happened to me is the normal. So, put on tons of moisturizer and drink lots of water!

Good luck,
    Betsy

Great Idea .. Betsy ...
    Aloe .. works in pure form, infact I have several plants in my yard .. A wise suggestion made by my Mom many years ago. I kept a small plant somewhere with me --

Vicki Sam
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    VickiSam said:

Great Idea .. Betsy ...
    Aloe .. works in pure form, infact I have several plants in my yard .. A wise suggestion made by my Mom many years ago. I kept a small plant somewhere with me --

Vicki Sam

Lotion in the armpit, and on
    Lotion in the armpit, and on back shoulder also.
  • Hope 2010
    Hope 2010 Member Posts: 62
    I'm about 50% done and I was
    I'm about 50% done and I was told to put it all over my breast...up to my neck and all around to part of my back. I just put it on every where I can reach...under...over..on my back. I tried to get it all around the areas where they marked me. Good luck on your rads.

Patty
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    I put the cream everywhere
    I put the cream everywhere I was radiated at least four times a day. I never burned too badly and I am fair-skinned. Don't be afraid to slather that stuff on. xoxoxo Lynn
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    lynn1950 said:

I put the cream everywhere I was radiated at least four times a day. I never burned too badly and I am fair-skinned. Don't be afraid to slather that stuff on. xoxoxo Lynn

Different instructions here
    Of course, check with your nurse or doctor, but my radiation oncologist was adamant that I should use the lotions/creams everywhere EXCEPT under my breasts, and told me to use cornstarch (just plain cornstarch from the grocery store) there, once or twice a day.

I asked him again several times during rads, as I kept thinking I had misunderstood, but he was very clear, that he wanted that area to be kept as dry as possible, and not add any extra moisture.

The cornstarch was very soothing once I started to get red, and, while I did peel under my breasts quite a bit toward the end, it wasn't painful. While I was at it, I also used the cornstarch under my arms, which was helpful, since I couldn't use anti-perspirant.

Different equipment, different opinions among doctors -- but it can't hurt to ask about it.

Traci
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    Don't forget
    Don't forget to do over your shoulder and up your neck. Two places I didn't think of until I was getting really toasty there. The rads onc said those were the places that the radiation was exiting my body from.

marge
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Hope 2010 said:

I'm about 50% done and I was
    I'm about 50% done and I was told to put it all over my breast...up to my neck and all around to part of my back. I just put it on every where I can reach...under...over..on my back. I tried to get it all around the areas where they marked me. Good luck on your rads.

Patty

I had the creme all over my
    I had the creme all over my right side, under my breast, clear to my armpit and up to my neck. You need to keep your skin moisturized. Use the creme's that your own rads oncologist suggests, but, use it.

Hugs, Jan
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Betsy13 said:

Aloe

Good luck,
    Betsy

I used aquaphor a lot. I
    I used aquaphor a lot. I used it only at night and wore an old tshirt because it stains. I put it all over my breast, under my breast, under my armpit and up to my collar bone. My radiation oncologist prescribed biafine also for the redness or dark pink that I got.
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    TraciInLA said:

Different instructions here
    Of course, check with your nurse or doctor, but my radiation oncologist was adamant that I should use the lotions/creams everywhere EXCEPT under my breasts, and told me to use cornstarch (just plain cornstarch from the grocery store) there, once or twice a day.

I asked him again several times during rads, as I kept thinking I had misunderstood, but he was very clear, that he wanted that area to be kept as dry as possible, and not add any extra moisture.

The cornstarch was very soothing once I started to get red, and, while I did peel under my breasts quite a bit toward the end, it wasn't painful. While I was at it, I also used the cornstarch under my arms, which was helpful, since I couldn't use anti-perspirant.

Different equipment, different opinions among doctors -- but it can't hurt to ask about it.

Traci

I do remember the cornstarch
    I do remember the cornstarch now that you mention it but I was told to only use it if there was too much moisture in that area. I had a bra that wicks moisture away so I only used the cornstarch once or twice.

Hugs

Donna
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    lynn1950 said:

I can't add much. I put my
    I can't add much. I put my cremes where everyone else said to.

Good luck with your rads!