Perseid Meteor Shower

starseed
starseed Member Posts: 62
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Something for us all to do---all you need is clear skies.
Aug 12 and 13 is the Perseids Meteor shower which should be visible all over the U.S.
Barring any cloud cover of course. Best time for viewing is after midnight, maybe close
to 0200. Perseus is in the northwest quadrant of the sky, although you don't need to
know where the constellation is, there should be meteors streaking aplenty --generally
from north to south. There may be some on Wednesday night into Thursday morning, but
it should be best from Thurs into Friday. If you live in a big city--you will probably
have to find your way out of the city lights. It's fairly rural where I live so I just
need to set my alarm and grab my chaise lounge!!
If it's something you've never seen and we get a good show, it's an amazing site.
Just look up at the sky in wonder!

Comments

• lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Thanks for reminding us. I
    Thanks for reminding us. I live in a rural area, too. My kids and I go out. lay in the grass, and gaze at the show. xoxoxoxo Lynn
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    lynn1950 said:

Thanks for reminding us. I live in a rural area, too. My kids and I go out. lay in the grass, and gaze at the show. xoxoxoxo Lynn

thanks i hope I remember and
    thanks i hope I remember and the sky is clear!
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Cool!!
    I sent my son the message...he loves to check out the skies with his telescope!

Thanks for letting us know...that was sweet.

Blessings,

Sylvia
  • Menda
    Menda Member Posts: 128
    sea60 said:

Cool!!
    I sent my son the message...he loves to check out the skies with his telescope!

Thanks for letting us know...that was sweet.

Blessings,

Sylvia

Wishes
    When you wish upon a falling star you dreams do come true.
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Menda said:

Wishes
    When you wish upon a falling star you dreams do come true.

I will be out there making
    I will be out there making my wish...lol!
  • jackiejhm
    jackiejhm Member Posts: 169
    Thanks!
    Grabbing my guy, a blanket and heading for the hills!! xo
  • survives
    survives Member Posts: 254 Member
    jackiejhm said:

Thanks!
    Grabbing my guy, a blanket and heading for the hills!! xo

Rain??
    We could be in for some rain here, but this is one time that I hope not!! We watch this show every year. It's started already if you're patient....you'll see a few little "fleas" as they skitter across the sky. Right now, they sort of catch you by surprise!
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Won't miss it! When my
    Won't miss it! When my husband and I were in high school, he took me out to an isolated spot in the country & we laid in the back of his truck for hours watching them..I'll have to remind him of that..I'm sure he was bored out of his mind at the time, lol, because all we were really doing was watching the stars, but he did it for me anyway :)
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    lynn1950 said:

Thanks for telling us! We
    Thanks for telling us! We will be looking for it!

Hugs, Debby
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    It is definitely a sight to
    It is definitely a sight to behold~ I love this time of year and the beautiful showers of shooting stars. Thanks for the reminder!!!
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    chenheart said:

It is definitely a sight to
    It is definitely a sight to behold~ I love this time of year and the beautiful showers of shooting stars. Thanks for the reminder!!!

Excited!
    Oh, I can't wait! My hubby and I sit outside at night a lot. Remember the lightening bug story? lol So, this is something that neither of us want to miss.

Thank you for posting it! I know you can make wishes on falling stars, but, I am going to make wishes on these! Praying they all come true!

Sue :)
  • starseed
    starseed Member Posts: 62
    Ritzy said:

Excited!
    Oh, I can't wait! My hubby and I sit outside at night a lot. Remember the lightening bug story? lol So, this is something that neither of us want to miss.

Thank you for posting it! I know you can make wishes on falling stars, but, I am going to make wishes on these! Praying they all come true!

Sue :)

Groan!
    Wouldn't you know....right now it's cloudy here in east/middle TN, but
    I'm hoping for all this crap to move out so I can see some of them....
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    starseed said:

Groan!
    Wouldn't you know....right now it's cloudy here in east/middle TN, but
    I'm hoping for all this crap to move out so I can see some of them....

It was cloudy here too, so,
    It was cloudy here too, so, we couldn't see anything. I hope we can tonight.

Thanks for sharing this!

Hugs, Jan
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988

It was cloudy here too, so,
    It was cloudy here too, so, we couldn't see anything. I hope we can tonight.

Thanks for sharing this!

Hugs, Jan

Meteor Sower
    We were clouded over last night, but hope we will have clearer skies tonight. Doesn't look good, according to the forecast, but I will be out just in case. Thanks for the heads up..keep your fingers crossed for us. Hugs Judy