Anyone who had bilateral mastectomy without reconstruction

cahjah75
cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
concerned about how their incisions are looking. Yesterday as my onco nurse was connecting my needle to my Purple Power Port she noticed that I have 2 small bumps near the center of my chest and then I told her about the mini boobs that are on the sides of my body under the arm area. I had 2 surgeons each removing one breast. Yesterday was 8 weeks. My bc side is very tight and the side with the port has a little more flesh. The 2 mounds on the side are a bit annoying. My surgeon said I could wear a prosthetic bra the end of the month but I want something that's going to fit and flatten those bumps. For now I've been wearing a prosthetic camisole with cotton boobs but it covers my port so next time I'm going without! I'm thinking about going to the stores recommended by my insurance and talking with the professional fitter before buying anything. I see my surgeon again in September and he had told me that he could do a simple procedure to take care of them. Need to find out how and what he has in mind and if it has to wait until all treatment is over. Just another bump in the road. I've haven't completely ruled out reconstruction at a much later date (bilateral mastectomy was my 12th surgery in 4 years) but I do want to look feminine again. I went from a 40DD to nothing. I'm 61 and I do miss them somewhat but they were pretty sad looking before they were removed. I'm looking forward to at least having some perky replacements whether they be artificial or not :-)
Char

Comments

• DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    I had a lumpectomy Char, so,
    I had a lumpectomy Char, so, I can't answer your questions.

But, I wanted to wish you good luck. I know that those on here that have been through this will post for you.

Hugs, Debby
    24242 Member Posts: 1,398
    No reconstruction
    Though I was only 36 at the time of my diagnosis and had one removed at a time, I decided that was enough surgery for me. I seem to get all the side affects even with surgery and my breast never made me feel more like a woman. Getting older has done that for me.
    I am with you there though you do what you have to do and yes you deserve to feel like THAT Woman again no matter what you need to do to get there. Reconstruction has been an amazing experience for some and others, not so much.
    I still joke about how I was always the type who had to go big or go home so decided just not to go there with boobs. I am happy with my body another couple scars do not make me or take away from me, I am what I am and have done very well with it.
    I hope that you too find the way to your best self...
    Tara
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Char dont those bumps in the
    Char dont those bumps in the road just sux!
    I did have reconstruction ...but after my mastectomy my incisions went almost all the way across each boob...since they took my nips, the incision went thru were the nips were...sorry if thats confusing. But the incision site was a thin line and was told most of it would fade in time. I guess how it looks depends on how you heal. I was lucky enough to have a female surgeon and made the incisions at a little bit of an angle so if i wore a low cut top no one would be able to see the incisions.
    Good luck on the perky replacements "artifical or not".
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    My incisions go straight across
    each breast area. My surgeon said the puffy parts on the side of the body are where they took skin from my back to end the stitches. So, they stick out kind a pointy as do the tiny ones near the center of my chest. There's less than an inch between. The rest of the incision is completely flat (right tighter than the left). I'm sure it will all be ok in the end. My upper body has so many stitch marks I look like railroad tracks (I had 9 surgeries between my 2 shoulders and cervical disc fusion).
    Char
  • Chickadee1955
    Chickadee1955 Member Posts: 356 Member
    cahjah75 said:

My incisions go straight across
    each breast area. My surgeon said the puffy parts on the side of the body are where they took skin from my back to end the stitches. So, they stick out kind a pointy as do the tiny ones near the center of my chest. There's less than an inch between. The rest of the incision is completely flat (right tighter than the left). I'm sure it will all be ok in the end. My upper body has so many stitch marks I look like railroad tracks (I had 9 surgeries between my 2 shoulders and cervical disc fusion).
    Char

I had bilateral mastectomy
    I had bilateral mastectomy in April and chose to delay reconstruction. My surgeon left as much skin/tissue as possible to aid in the reconstruction later. I, too, have lumps under my arms and asked the surgeon about it. He said it was tissue that was always there, but had been connected to my breasts, so I didn't really feel them under the arms. I haven't been able to find any bra that would pull the lumps forward, so I have relied on sports bras.

I haven't been too concerned about having natural looking breasts during this time of healing and chemo, so I didn't go any further with searching out camis or other bras.

Good luck to you. If you find something that works well, please post specifics!

Chickadee
  • ladybug22
    ladybug22 Member Posts: 646
    bilateral mastectomy
    had mine in 08.i still wear my prosthetic camisole under a top if its a little low that work for me. i dont want to go under again.i went to professional fitter to get my prosthetic. do what makes you happy hugs to you
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    I had a bilateral mastectomy
    I had a bilateral mastectomy in 2008. The surgeon, a woman, knew I was undecided about reconstruction, so she left as much as she could (little flabby pouches near my armpits). I am still undecided. I'm afraid of more surgery and recovery time. For now I go braless. I was small before BC and never liked wearing bras anyway. BTW, I am 60.
  • sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    lynn1950 said:

I had a bilateral mastectomy
    I had a bilateral mastectomy in 2008. The surgeon, a woman, knew I was undecided about reconstruction, so she left as much as she could (little flabby pouches near my armpits). I am still undecided. I'm afraid of more surgery and recovery time. For now I go braless. I was small before BC and never liked wearing bras anyway. BTW, I am 60.

06/10
    for me and I will not have reconsturction just can't see going thru all that just to have boobs. Middle section is raised and under the arm is a bit puffy. Surgeon said all that will smooth out with time. Already my incisions is a faint red line