need help with this one

zenmonk
zenmonk Member Posts: 198
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Starting on Saturday I began getting this extremely bad shooting pain centered on my left temple area. I went to the ER on Sunday and of course all test, ct's came back normal. They doped me up with dilauded and sent me home. Felt a little under the weather on Monday then Tuesday I felt like a million bucks, one of the best days yet. Then yesterday that shooting pain returned with a vengence. It was horrible. I would lay there on the gurney and practically jump off every time the pain would hit me. My vision was blurred and I could not function becuase the pain was so bad. They did another CT, MRI and more blood work. Guess what? everything once again came back normal. I find it hard to believe that I could be experienceing that much pain and everything be normal. So they gave me 4mg dilauded and sent me home. I dont remember much. I have never had such a bad pain that it scared me. I have had migraines along time ago but this is nothing like that. I would'nt even really call this a headache. Its pretty scary this pain. I feel ok this morning but I am scared about it coming back. The doctors said they dont know or maybe it was some kind of sinus infection. I would lean towards the dont know becuase I have had sinus infections and they are nothing like this and I didnt need copious amounts of dilauded to kill the pain of a sinus infection. Can anyone relate to this or had this experience or any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Time for another doctor?

I would seek another opinion, since cerebral aneurysms can
    cause your symptoms. If your present doctors haven't ordered
    a CTA scan, then it might be time to get another opinion from
    a doctor that's not associated with your present ones.

Don't invest too heavily in one opinion, ever.

Good luck,

John
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    John23 said:

Time for another doctor?

I would seek another opinion, since cerebral aneurysms can
    cause your symptoms. If your present doctors haven't ordered
    a CTA scan, then it might be time to get another opinion from
    a doctor that's not associated with your present ones.

Don't invest too heavily in one opinion, ever.

Good luck,

John

Another doctor yes
    what about a neurologist?
    Cheers!
  • greybeard64
    greybeard64 Member Posts: 254
    Agree with John
    You need to find answers, if your present Doc cant give them to you, time to find someone who can. As I have said before the waiting and wondering is harder to deal with then the prognosis. Knowledge is power, and not knowing what your facing makes it worse for your mentally. Bless you and good luck.
    Chris
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member

Agree with John
    You need to find answers, if your present Doc cant give them to you, time to find someone who can. As I have said before the waiting and wondering is harder to deal with then the prognosis. Knowledge is power, and not knowing what your facing makes it worse for your mentally. Bless you and good luck.
    Chris

While you wait.....
    Try and find remedies of your own..ie. removed caffeine from your diet or any type of mono sodium glutamate...I have found that the older I get (55 now) that the more my inner setup is changing. I am now allergic to penicillin (never was before) etc. so it may be that your body is reacting to something in your diet...doubtful, but still, its something to try while others are looking for answers as well...Stay vigilant for an answer and yeah, if you do go to another Dr, don't let your primary know. You surely don't want him faxing your records to the one you are seeing for other probabilities....

One more thing........Normally in a powerhouse situation (I work in an electric producing plant) usually when a problem pops up with something, if you can find the last piece of equipment that was worked on and what it was that was done that is usually a great starting place for solving the problem..mostly human error.....look back at maybe somethings that have been done "out of the norm" on your body, medically or mentally, and see if you can come up with a common denominator which may or may not lead you to an answer...Good luck to you .....Buzz
  • abrub
    abrub Member Posts: 2,174 Member
    Ask about Cluster Headaches
    I've heard about them, and this sounds like a possibility.

"Cluster Headaches" - so called because they tend to occur in groups, and then disappear for long times or forever, are extraordinarily painful (the "kill me now" type of pain.) I don't know what the treatment is for cluster headaches - it may be just lots of pain meds, while waiting for the episode to pass. see Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluster_headache

I've had sinus infections, and I've had migraines, but I haven't had headaches like you are describing.

Check with your Primary care, and then on to a neurologist.

Good luck!
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    abrub said:

Ask about Cluster Headaches
    I've heard about them, and this sounds like a possibility.

"Cluster Headaches" - so called because they tend to occur in groups, and then disappear for long times or forever, are extraordinarily painful (the "kill me now" type of pain.) I don't know what the treatment is for cluster headaches - it may be just lots of pain meds, while waiting for the episode to pass. see Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluster_headache

I've had sinus infections, and I've had migraines, but I haven't had headaches like you are describing.

Check with your Primary care, and then on to a neurologist.

Good luck!

Sometimes when I cough....
    I get the brain fried experience of my left lobe of the brain trying to explode and it leaves me with an agonizing headaches that seems to dissipate in 30 minutes or so...never long lasting but nonetheless just as painful
  • idlehunters
    idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787 Member
    Buzzard said:

Sometimes when I cough....
    I get the brain fried experience of my left lobe of the brain trying to explode and it leaves me with an agonizing headaches that seems to dissipate in 30 minutes or so...never long lasting but nonetheless just as painful

How Your Blood Pressure?
    I had same symptoms... pain in head... blinding spots in eyes ..and/or blurry. I already knew I had high blood pressure from the chemo but it turns out my pulse was going thru cycles of going over 100...off and on...irregular patterns...when it shot over 100...the head pain started... they put me on a beta-blocker in addition to the BP meds & all ok now..... just an idea..

Jennie
  • zenmonk
    zenmonk Member Posts: 198

How Your Blood Pressure?
    I had same symptoms... pain in head... blinding spots in eyes ..and/or blurry. I already knew I had high blood pressure from the chemo but it turns out my pulse was going thru cycles of going over 100...off and on...irregular patterns...when it shot over 100...the head pain started... they put me on a beta-blocker in addition to the BP meds & all ok now..... just an idea..

Jennie

thanks
    Thanks everybody!!!!