Emotional day

Jean 0609
Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I guess this is part of that emotional roller coaster ride I am on. I had an appointment this morning for my annual routine physical. My family doctor is also my GYN doctor, since I didn't have any female problems. I have been totally fine emotional recently. Very very few "feel sorry for me...cry all day" days. Everyone tells me how great my attitude is. Until today that is. I was fine this morning and went for my appointment. While I was sitting in the waiting room I realized that I hadn't been there since February 2, 2010. This was the day that my doctor actually found my lump. Things just started going through my mind. The nurse took me back to the room. When my doctor came in and started talking to me, I just started crying. I told her that up until a couple minutes ago I was perfectly fine, then all of the sudden it hit me. I assured her that this wasn't how I've been and she said it was perfectly normal. On the other hand, everything went well. She said everything looks good. Just one of those days I guess. Glad they are few and far between. Hugs, Jean

Comments

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Oh Jean, floods of emotions .. happens to the best
    of us. Everything is fine - You are fine, strong and the center of your husband universe. Your family loves you so much, we support you here on our board. It's ok to have 1 of those days.

Be kind to yourself ... and allow your emotions to flow, it's what makes us strong women.

Vicki Sam
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    I do believe the emotional
    I do believe the emotional toll is even worsed than the physical , and OMG the physical is horrible enough! We go through so very much, and as you said the Brave Face is really hard to keep up all the time. We expect way more of ourselves than anyone else does.

Your emotions are right on target!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    I have em too..
    Days like this. There is nothing wrong with crying at all. It helps me to feel better gets it all out. and it lubricates your eyes too LOL. Let your emotions go. They are your emotions and it don't help to keep them bottled up. Or to expect them to not happen. We are going though a tough time right now. And crying don't last forever. It gets rid of tension. cleans your eyes. Help you to breath deep, and exercises your facial muscles. So actually it is a good thing LOL. Now if it could do something for my chin I would be in good shape. ( with my face anyway ) Take care your sister Kay {{{hugs }}}
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    I'm sorry you had one of
    I'm sorry you had one of those "moments". Mine have been very few & far between also but I've had a couple of freak-outs (as i like to call them). I'm glad everything went well for your appointment, though. Lucky me, I started chemo right about the time my PMS kicked in -so I've been a cranky, sore, blubbering mess for the past week.
    *big hugs*
    Heather
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member

I'm sorry you had one of
    I'm sorry you had one of those "moments". Mine have been very few & far between also but I've had a couple of freak-outs (as i like to call them). I'm glad everything went well for your appointment, though. Lucky me, I started chemo right about the time my PMS kicked in -so I've been a cranky, sore, blubbering mess for the past week.
    *big hugs*
    Heather

So sorry Jean :(
    I am so sorry Jean that you are having such a bad day. But, you need to know that it is perfectly normal, and, it happens to all of us.

No one gave us a rule book or a how to act book when we were diagnosed with bc. I certainly wish they would have.

And, I can see how your appointment hit you hard with remembering that awful day when your lump was found. But, look at how far you have come! You have been through so much already, but, there is light at the end of the tunnel!

And, guess what? We are all there waiting for you, to celebrate and to give you big cyber hugs.

So, let me send you a big one right now and I hope you feel better!

Sue :)
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Ritzy said:

So sorry Jean :(
    I am so sorry Jean that you are having such a bad day. But, you need to know that it is perfectly normal, and, it happens to all of us.

No one gave us a rule book or a how to act book when we were diagnosed with bc. I certainly wish they would have.

And, I can see how your appointment hit you hard with remembering that awful day when your lump was found. But, look at how far you have come! You have been through so much already, but, there is light at the end of the tunnel!

And, guess what? We are all there waiting for you, to celebrate and to give you big cyber hugs.

So, let me send you a big one right now and I hope you feel better!

Sue :)

We know how you feel, Jean
    Some days I get so sick of putting on my big smile--and hearing people say, "Wow, you look so great, you're doing so great, you're my hero, I'm so proud of you!" When inside I'm feeling--this really sucks and I feel really crappy, I'm sometimes I'm just so sad.

But, another day dawns, and my mood changes and things look a little brighter.
    I wish that day for you, today, Jean.

Hugs, Renee
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Thanks everyone!
    I feel better already. I guess I just needed to get it out. I read your posts and cried a little more, but now I'm done. You are all so wonderful and I'm glad to have you all as a part of my life. This is such a blessing to have this site whenever I need it. Hugs, Jean
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Jean 0609 said:

Thanks everyone!
    I feel better already. I guess I just needed to get it out. I read your posts and cried a little more, but now I'm done. You are all so wonderful and I'm glad to have you all as a part of my life. This is such a blessing to have this site whenever I need it. Hugs, Jean

Emotions
    My dear Jean, you are so normal to have those moments, and we would all be very jealous if you didn't. It is part of the process of getting through treatment, and even survival. I was one of those who never shed a tear, trying to make it easier on my family. About six months after completing chemo, I had a skin flap that started growing in the corner of my eyelid, and I had my oncologist look at it for me. He suggested having it removed by a dermatologist. I made my appointment, sat down in the office, and in walks the dermatologist. She leans over and says, "Boy you have really been through it." That's all it took. I bawled like a baby. It was so embarrassing, but at the same time, it felt good to get out all of that emotion I had been holding inside. I am sure that doctor regrets to this day even speaking to me, but not only did she remove the flap, she gave me the opportunity to let down my guard and release the tensions. We never know when these emotions will come to the surface, but thank God they do. Living with this whole breast cancer journey is emotional, and you use whatever outlet you have to deal with these emotions. I have such strong family/friend backing, and I also have the ability to choose when and where I have my breakdowns. This board is such a great outlet, and no one on here is going to think for a minute that you are anything less than normal. Welcome to the roller coaster we all are riding.....and know that the ups are just as thrilling as the downs, and that one follows the other. Hang in there. We are here for you any time! Hugs, Judy
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Jean 0609 said:

Thanks everyone!

Those darn emotions just
    Those darn emotions just have a way of creeping up on us with no warning...they just jump out of nowhere...then we have to put them back in check...then we feel better!
    Thats awesome that everything turned out good!!! Im glad your feeling a little better now!!
  • sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    jo jo said:

Those darn emotions just
    Those darn emotions just have a way of creeping up on us with no warning...they just jump out of nowhere...then we have to put them back in check...then we feel better!
    Thats awesome that everything turned out good!!! Im glad your feeling a little better now!!

Funny thing
    I have always cried easily. Sad movie I am the one bawling. But even when I got my diagnosis I didn't cry. I have had times when I feel wheepy but haven't been able to shed any tears? Wierd huh?
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Jean, you are a true survivor
    Yes, yes. There have been days, even years when I am fine and then, out of nowhere, something hits hard and I'm left a blubbering fool. My hubbie and daughter understand. Sometimes, the health care folks get it and sometimes not. Then I am just like you, I am assuring them that I am not depressed, etc.

I think I am like one of Pavlov's dogs where now, when I am in a healthcare setting, my mind and body are conditioned for a shock. It makes it harder to be diligent, but I make myself anyway.
  • survives
    survives Member Posts: 254 Member

Jean, you are a true survivor
    Yes, yes. There have been days, even years when I am fine and then, out of nowhere, something hits hard and I'm left a blubbering fool. My hubbie and daughter understand. Sometimes, the health care folks get it and sometimes not. Then I am just like you, I am assuring them that I am not depressed, etc.

I think I am like one of Pavlov's dogs where now, when I am in a healthcare setting, my mind and body are conditioned for a shock. It makes it harder to be diligent, but I make myself anyway.

Healing tears
    You were at your doctor's office on "the day". Not the month, but still "the day". That's very emotional. You've only just started the chapter of your life. And you're still healing. It's good to cry and have "those moments". Who can keep that "stiff upper lip" going? I sure can't. I've burst into tears with my pcp more than once. She said that usually I'm the "strong patient" and it gives her a good jolt when I surrender to the tears.

Unless these episodes of tears and sadness come more frequently and stay around longer, and you just can't shake "the blues", the I wouldn't worry. You're quite normal with yourself at this place in your healing.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Jean a good cry
    is probably what you really needed. And if after reading these posts you feel a smile coming across your face...... Doesn't that feel good. We're all here for you and know that what you're feeling is totally normal.

I remember going to gyn's office in 2001 weeks before my son's wedding and I was postmenopausal. I started crying in the waiting room. I don't know why but I used to cry at the drop of a pin. I'm an emotional person. I cried watching my children graduate from kindergarten, dance recitals, graduations (high school & college) and especially their weddings. Sometimes it just feels good to cry over a book or a movie. My sister-in-law died while I was reading "Tuesday's With Morrie". Try watching the movie "Beaches" as I've done many a time.

Four years ago I started falling down and broke both shoulders. I had a bone infection for which I was on home IV for 7 weeks. I couldn't drive a car for 18 months and became totally dependent on others for my personal care. I had to quit a job I'd had for 18 years and I liked it. Did I cry - you betcha!

For some reason I didn't cry when I found out I had bc. I'm the 5th in my family so it really didn't come as a surprise. I'm still getting used to my flat chest and I've just started chemo so who knows that cry may be right around the corner :-0
    Char