Bloat, Weight Gain & Depression

new2me
new2me Member Posts: 177 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hey guys - June 30th I had my 3rd treatment (3 more to go) the only thing thats hard for me to handle right now is the bloating and weight gain. These last 4-5 days I look 5 months pregnant and am running out of clothes to wear to work. Dr. says Taxotere could be to blame and advised to take Gas-X, watch my sugar intake, and try to exercise alittle. Anyone else have this problem? If so what did you do about it?

Thank you so much for any advise.

Kelly

Comments

• mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691 Member
    I gained 7lbs in one week!!

I gained 7lbs in one week!! I had in fact eaten less, was more relaxed and have been excercising every day. The doctor's think it might just be water retention. I am hoping because like you my wardrobe is becoming very limited.

I also got a little discouraged but the doctor told me just to keep doing what I was doing and not to give up. I admit that helped and I am, eating very healthy, exercising, getting sleep etc but the weight hasn't gone down, in fact it has gone up and I don't think it is that small piece of dark chocolate I have daily (am not cutting that out). I have 3 more Taxol left to go, will be done 8/27 so I am just putting one foot in front of the other to keep going.

I made some comfortable fun pants and loose tops, wear a little mascara, put on some fun earrings to go with my bald head. Perhaps, if there is a Goodwill store, you can pick up a few inexpensive items of clothing just to see you through to the end.

For me, just doing everything I can to help myself is becoming enough, I can't control some of the other stuff. Hang in there, it will be over and just keep doing your best. I wish you well.
  • Snowkitty
    Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
    Come to think of it, my
    Come to think of it, my stomach is bigger than usual. And I have alot of gas. Just little tootles, but a lot of them. I would be interested in suggestions also.

Cindy
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    I had lots of gas and GI
    I had lots of gas and GI issues but did not gain weight. i know I never felt "right" with eating. I hope others have answers for you . It did get better once chemo was done
  • new2me
    new2me Member Posts: 177 Member

I gained 7lbs in one week!!

I gained 7lbs in one week!! I had in fact eaten less, was more relaxed and have been excercising every day. The doctor's think it might just be water retention. I am hoping because like you my wardrobe is becoming very limited.

I also got a little discouraged but the doctor told me just to keep doing what I was doing and not to give up. I admit that helped and I am, eating very healthy, exercising, getting sleep etc but the weight hasn't gone down, in fact it has gone up and I don't think it is that small piece of dark chocolate I have daily (am not cutting that out). I have 3 more Taxol left to go, will be done 8/27 so I am just putting one foot in front of the other to keep going.

I made some comfortable fun pants and loose tops, wear a little mascara, put on some fun earrings to go with my bald head. Perhaps, if there is a Goodwill store, you can pick up a few inexpensive items of clothing just to see you through to the end.

For me, just doing everything I can to help myself is becoming enough, I can't control some of the other stuff. Hang in there, it will be over and just keep doing your best. I wish you well.

I've gained 10 lbs in about a month
    I will admit some weight could be my own fault. I can still taste chocolate. but my belly is huge and I can feel the action going on in there, especially after I eat. For awhile I haven't left like working out or taking awalk - Haven't wanted to do much of anything but lay around. Maybe I'm abit depressed. Been on the verge of tears this week. I can handle my hair being gone but the weight gain is just too hard. I look fat and ugly in everything. I don't feel sexy anymore, have no desire for intimacy or anything with my wonderful loving husband. It hurts to pee and everything down there is tender. I just can't get my umph back to do anything. This is so not like me and I hate feeling like this.
    It gets harder with each treatment and when I think about doing another 3 I get so bummed.
    thank you guys for listening I guess I just need to vent and get it out. I know understand.
  • jackiejhm
    jackiejhm Member Posts: 169
    Rats-
    Unfortunately, I know all too well about this. My Onc put me on prevacid. It helped with the , ahem,gas issues, and a teensy bit with the bloating. I'll bet any antacid might help. I was told my some very smart cookie(on this board!) that the bloating is mostly from those darn steroids. A necessary evil. They "beef up" your body so it can withstand the chemo. So, Yup, at 5' 3" tall- I gained 15 pounds. My daily "runs" turned into, daily "drags" by our sweet dog! Zero energy! It does get better. 3 months after chemo, and 1 month after rads i am getting stronger and stronger!! Now, if only I could get my cotton-pickin' jeans to zip! Oh well....goals are good! xoxo, Jackie
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691 Member
    new2me said:

I've gained 10 lbs in about a month
    I will admit some weight could be my own fault. I can still taste chocolate. but my belly is huge and I can feel the action going on in there, especially after I eat. For awhile I haven't left like working out or taking awalk - Haven't wanted to do much of anything but lay around. Maybe I'm abit depressed. Been on the verge of tears this week. I can handle my hair being gone but the weight gain is just too hard. I look fat and ugly in everything. I don't feel sexy anymore, have no desire for intimacy or anything with my wonderful loving husband. It hurts to pee and everything down there is tender. I just can't get my umph back to do anything. This is so not like me and I hate feeling like this.
    It gets harder with each treatment and when I think about doing another 3 I get so bummed.
    thank you guys for listening I guess I just need to vent and get it out. I know understand.

I felt I had some low level

I felt I had some low level depression when I was on the AC part of the chemo. I had no motivation to even get out of bed, take a shower or look decent. I also had a hard time with the way I looked, fat and bald. That went away when I was done with the AC and up until now with the Taxol the depression part has been alright although I do notice low level anxiety when I am not able to sleep. I have been taking Ativan (Lorazepam) intermittently to help with that. It takes the edge off of the anxiety. You might want to talk to your doctor to see if there is anything that could help you through until the end. I don't like to take drugs unnecessarily so but am finding there are times where it makes a big difference. This course of treatment is hard enough and some relief could make a huge difference.

venting is good! take care.
  • Chickadee1955
    Chickadee1955 Member Posts: 356 Member
    jackiejhm said:

Rats-
    Unfortunately, I know all too well about this. My Onc put me on prevacid. It helped with the , ahem,gas issues, and a teensy bit with the bloating. I'll bet any antacid might help. I was told my some very smart cookie(on this board!) that the bloating is mostly from those darn steroids. A necessary evil. They "beef up" your body so it can withstand the chemo. So, Yup, at 5' 3" tall- I gained 15 pounds. My daily "runs" turned into, daily "drags" by our sweet dog! Zero energy! It does get better. 3 months after chemo, and 1 month after rads i am getting stronger and stronger!! Now, if only I could get my cotton-pickin' jeans to zip! Oh well....goals are good! xoxo, Jackie

I have to join the 10# and
    I have to join the 10# and counting club. I don't know which of the individual pieces of the cancer experience is to blame, maybe all of them together, but I just went and bought a few pairs of lightweight capris in the next size up and some large T-shirts. I thought at first that my belly had always been this big, but I hadn't been able to see it before because I had breasts that obstructed my few. Now the 'girls' are gone I can see everything south.

I realize as the number on the scale goes up and the pants get tighter, its not just an optical illusion. I'm just hoping it will go away after chemo and I get back to being more active. Oh, and the tummy tuck. :=D
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462

I have to join the 10# and
    I have to join the 10# and counting club. I don't know which of the individual pieces of the cancer experience is to blame, maybe all of them together, but I just went and bought a few pairs of lightweight capris in the next size up and some large T-shirts. I thought at first that my belly had always been this big, but I hadn't been able to see it before because I had breasts that obstructed my few. Now the 'girls' are gone I can see everything south.

I realize as the number on the scale goes up and the pants get tighter, its not just an optical illusion. I'm just hoping it will go away after chemo and I get back to being more active. Oh, and the tummy tuck. :=D

Me too!!!
    I was just looking at my belly yesterday. Wow, all those extra pounds, right in the stomach. I remember when I went for my chemo training the nurse telling me this is not a time to diet. If you crave something...eat it. I definitely took advantage of this. I am still working out (not as much as usual). Hopefully, once this chemo is done, I can get back to normal. Hugs, Jean

Hey Chickadee, how is your hair?
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Jean 0609 said:

Me too!!!
    I was just looking at my belly yesterday. Wow, all those extra pounds, right in the stomach. I remember when I went for my chemo training the nurse telling me this is not a time to diet. If you crave something...eat it. I definitely took advantage of this. I am still working out (not as much as usual). Hopefully, once this chemo is done, I can get back to normal. Hugs, Jean

Myself .. I lost 37 lbs during chemo .. and looked good, that
    is until I started to eat more than 1 meal per day. Then that damn weight started creeping up on me. Sucks BIG time.

I think if any of us learned anything from our chemo weight gain .. it is that we are all human and perhaps we can reach out and offer support to a overweight friend, relative or acquaintance in our life with empathy, and not pity.

We often get craze when we go topless without any head cover and wish not to be judged by our appearance .. so may be the over weight man or woman, suffering in silence. I know both scerino's first hand.

Just a thought .. and my opinion only ..

Vicki Sam
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    VickiSam said:

Myself .. I lost 37 lbs during chemo .. and looked good, that
    is until I started to eat more than 1 meal per day. Then that damn weight started creeping up on me. Sucks BIG time.

I think if any of us learned anything from our chemo weight gain .. it is that we are all human and perhaps we can reach out and offer support to a overweight friend, relative or acquaintance in our life with empathy, and not pity.

We often get craze when we go topless without any head cover and wish not to be judged by our appearance .. so may be the over weight man or woman, suffering in silence. I know both scerino's first hand.

Just a thought .. and my opinion only ..

Vicki Sam

I lost 70 and then another
    I lost 70 and then another 8-10. I dont think this heat helps either. I know that I am trying to keep it off as eating was always my coping strategy. Now I try to stop and say are you eating because you are hungry? or mad ? or stressed, sad etc.. I find mild exersize really helps me. I do pilates with a personal trainer friend, she modifies it for me, and it really helps I notice when I dont do it. drink fluids too, you will be bloated if you are constipated too. Funny thing with the hair, I dont feel too attractive. I thought I would feel good with the weight loss and in some ways I do but I feel it makes me look older. I have decided it is indeed a process. I do know my bowels just did nt feel right, it was unpleasant to eat. but that things a re so much better now.
  • PNinMN
    PNinMN Member Posts: 28
    I know how you feel!
    I have gained some weight myself with the chemo - I have had 5 cycles of Taxotere and Cytoxan and my last one is this Thursday. My pants are tighter and I feel bloated a lot. With my 4th and 5th cycles my ankles got swollen for a couple of days but then they went away. I wish I could make my bigger stomach go away too! I have been coping by wearing cute looser fitting tops and dresses. I have my days where I feel down about how I am looking and feeling but I figure it just has to get better at some point so I keep plugging along.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Kelly, the bloating and weight gain
    is definitely not on my wish list. I had my first chemo yesterday and did feel bloated last night. Food still tastes good but I'm trying to eat healthy and I do drink a lot!

Anxiety and stress post mastectomy and the waiting for chemo to start I gained 15#s. Yikes. Not a good way to start chemo. Good thing I have a closet full of clothes that I hadn't given to Goodwill yet as I had lost 23#s last fall. I guess I'll have to go dig them out. Darn )-:
    Char
  • Chickadee1955
    Chickadee1955 Member Posts: 356 Member
    Jean 0609 said:

Me too!!!

Hi Jean,
    The hair is still

Hi Jean,

The hair is still growing! I talked to my onc who says it will likely fall out again before the course of treatment is done, but so far I have sparse, growing hair. Still have eyelashes, eyebrows (both a little thinned), leg and arm hair. Of course, the most stubbornly clinging hairs are silvery white!!
  • Pinkpower
    Pinkpower Member Posts: 437
    We are definately not alone
    We are definately not alone on the weight gain subject. By the time I finished chemo I had gained a total of 22 lbs.Someone at the job I was at who obviously did not know I ws going thru chemo actually asked me when was I do? She actually thought I was pregnant, boy was I depressed that day, I actually logged it in here. I hate to exercise and this is why so far I have only lost about 6 lbs since I finished chemo back in March. Im sure if I exercised I would lose more, but right now I just dont feel like it even though I hate the extra pounds. Maybe someday I will find my motivation.
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    Pinkpower said:

We are definately not alone
    We are definately not alone on the weight gain subject. By the time I finished chemo I had gained a total of 22 lbs.Someone at the job I was at who obviously did not know I ws going thru chemo actually asked me when was I do? She actually thought I was pregnant, boy was I depressed that day, I actually logged it in here. I hate to exercise and this is why so far I have only lost about 6 lbs since I finished chemo back in March. Im sure if I exercised I would lose more, but right now I just dont feel like it even though I hate the extra pounds. Maybe someday I will find my motivation.

Yeah I lost 17 lbs. while
    Yeah I lost 17 lbs. while going thru chemo, but gained the 17 back + 5 more lbs. Gee I have to get this weight off.