Question on expanders

Jennifer1961
Jennifer1961 Member Posts: 137
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Okay. I'm trying to figure out what to do after chemo. More surgery with reconstruction or radiation. My surgeon really thinks I need mastectomy. Here's my concern. From what I understand, it takes several months for the expanders to "do their thing" before an implant can go in. This really stresses me out since I'm an exercise instructor and I can't imagine being off work for four to six months. Is it possible to exercise with the expanders in? I know the surgeon will have the answers, but I'm not seeing him for a week for two. It's almost 1am right now so obviously it's keeping me up at night!

Comments

• bakerette
    bakerette Member Posts: 74
    I don't think that you will
    I don't think that you will be out of work for six months. I have a very physical job. Im on my feet for 8-10 hours per day, lift at least 30lbs at a time several times a day. push and pull racks of product. I'm a baker, and I was told with bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction I would be off for 6 weeks. So, I have 3 more to go. I will trade my expanders for the permenant when I am ready. I'm thinking I want to work the holidays then get them in January as I will again be out of work for probably 4 weeks this time. It sucks being without income! But I had to think of what would matter to me long term. And getting rid of all the cancer, hopefully for good, then being put back together, made the most sense to me at the time.
  • Dot53
    Dot53 Member Posts: 239 Member
    Hi Jennifer
    Good question... yes, you can exercise with the expanders in. I do it all the time. I asked my PS before going back to my exercise program of running on the treadmill and doing my Jillian Michael and Yoga CD's and his response was "of course, they're not (the expanders) going anywhere". I rarely wear a bra while exercising as well... personal choice but as my doc said they haven't moved and I feel great...

Good luck!

Dot
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Hey Jennifer
    Yes, you can definintely exercise with expanders. I try to workout 5 days per week. I don't do as much upper body as I did before, my decision. But I still love my cardio!
  • Sally5
    Sally5 Member Posts: 87
    Jean 0609 said:

Hey Jennifer
    Yes, you can definintely exercise with expanders. I try to workout 5 days per week. I don't do as much upper body as I did before, my decision. But I still love my cardio!

Exercise
    Jennifer,

Exercise with expanders: I was worried about this, too. I'm not sure about everyone else, but for me I needed to get back to a regular exercise routine. I started walking. I guess at first, I was afraid to do a lot more.

I am at 12 weeks. My reconstruction surgeon did not want me to run for 6-8 weeks. Something about the pocket (which holds the expander) being healed. Then he said with a supportive sports bra I could run. It felt fine; actually great running. (no movement....)

I can now swim and bike ride. I know you should give your body time to heal but it won't be 6 months.

Since you are a fitness instructor (I think you said that) I am sure you will know how to use the right muscles. The inside of your arm muscles won't work the same way (at first).

Hope this helps.

Take care,
    Merry (Sally5)