QUESTIONS RE: ARIMIDEX & SIDE EFFECTS

scarlettg7
scarlettg7 Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just started taking my arimidex a few weeks ago & now have some serious side effects such as hands & feet going numb & tingly, my right hand is the worst though, also noticing some joint pains & more frequently uti's as well. I know that my paper said there would be some crazy side effects but if anyone out there is experiencing anything like this I'd love to hear your stories & what you did to help fix it, or what did your onc tell to try ? I don't go back for my first f/u cat scan til october so Im gonna stick with it for a while longer unles the symptons get worse, would love to here anyone elses stories regarding ARIMIDEX & did you find releif with trying some else, thanks to all who reply, SCARLETT.

Comments

• sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Hi Scarlett :)
    Love your picture!

I could not tolerate the Arimidex. I was on Tamoxifen first, and that had it's side effects, but when she switched me over to the Arimidex, the side effects were far worse for me. Intense joint pain. I had the tingly hand & feet but the neuropathy can be the after effects of the Chemo drugs as well.

The 2 big things I just couldn't tolerate were the joint pain and I also had a hard time with my swallowing reflux...weird. Apparently it was from the Arimidex. Anyway, I'm back on the Tamoxifen. It gives me joint pain as well but not nearly as severe.

Just remember, everyone is different and not all react the same to the same drug.

Blessings and hugs!

Sylvia
  • scarlettg7
    sea60 said:

Hi Scarlett :)
    Love your picture!

I could not tolerate the Arimidex. I was on Tamoxifen first, and that had it's side effects, but when she switched me over to the Arimidex, the side effects were far worse for me. Intense joint pain. I had the tingly hand & feet but the neuropathy can be the after effects of the Chemo drugs as well.

The 2 big things I just couldn't tolerate were the joint pain and I also had a hard time with my swallowing reflux...weird. Apparently it was from the Arimidex. Anyway, I'm back on the Tamoxifen. It gives me joint pain as well but not nearly as severe.

Just remember, everyone is different and not all react the same to the same drug.

Blessings and hugs!

Sylvia

Thanks so much Sylvia for
    Thanks so much Sylvia for your input, your right the joint pains can be worse on other days. Im already making my list of questions for my onc. when I go back to see her in October, until then I'll just tough it out & see what she reccomends then. It seems we women go through sooo much, the surgery, chemo, tons of scans, more f/u surgeries, then all these crazy side effects from our meds we have to take, it's amazing im still sane some days lol. Anyone else I'd love to hear your input as well. Im glad Im not the only one with complaints on arimidex. My hot flashes are still ok most of the time, but like I said I did recently start it, do they continue to get worse or do I dare ask :)
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    I'v been on arimidex almost
    I'v been on arimidex almost a month now. So far I've been quite fotunate, however I'm a lot older than you. I'm having trouble sleeping and have a terrible taste in my mouth. I'm also lehtargic but so far no pain.
  • KayNYC
    KayNYC Member Posts: 495 Member
    Arimidex since late June
    I was told that I might experience SE at or after the first month. I have some stiffness at the ankles and feet when I wake up or sit for long periods of time. It goes away once I am up and active. I did not have these symptoms prior to taking the Arimidex. The only other SE I have experienced is some blurred vision from dry eye that is now under control since beginning the OTC, Genteal lubricant drops once or twice a day.I have maintained my active lifestyle-lots of walking and working long hours (full time). If you have questions, call your Med Onc's office. You don't have to wait until your next appointment. I am told that there are supplements that can help with the joint pain and stiffness. It was recommended that I do daily walking for at least half hour perods (I normally do much more than this.)My nutritionist also suggested I start the vitamin B100s the week I started the Arimidex.
    Keep us posted.
    Hugs, K
  • Shadow904
    Shadow904 Member Posts: 3
    I'm on Arimidex too
    Hi Scarlett,
    I've been on Arimidex for a year now and I too, am experiencing joint pain (lower back and upon waking, my feet). The lower back is constant but I am now learning to tolerate it. I exercise (walking/dancing) and take supplements, fish oil, glucosamine/MSM, VitaminD, and eat healthy. It is very difficult and at times I just want to stop taking these pills. I figure, if I made it thru AC chemo, radiation, two surgeries, I can do this if it will help to prevent recurrence. My Onc suggested an injection of Zomeda, for the bones, but I refused; VitB6 will also help. I don't want more chemicals in my body; so I chose supplements, and lots of Kale, broccoli, dark greens! I know what you women are going thru; I also had neuropathy in the hands, but that disappeared after about 3 months of being on it. Stay strong and believe me that having a healthy diet is huge in counteracting any side affects from these drugs. Take Care and God Bless.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    watch your vit d
    Please have your doc check your vitamin d level. The aches and pains from arimidex are magnified by a low vitamin d level. My level was quite low (20's) and my endocrinologist upped my vit d intake from 2000IU to 5000IU per day. My level has creeped up to 55 and I am having less pain.

See http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/hormonal/new_research/20091215.jsp
    for more on vitamin d and arimidex pain.

It is worth a try and I would hate to see you give up without checking if your vit d level is normal.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member

watch your vit d
    Please have your doc check your vitamin d level. The aches and pains from arimidex are magnified by a low vitamin d level. My level was quite low (20's) and my endocrinologist upped my vit d intake from 2000IU to 5000IU per day. My level has creeped up to 55 and I am having less pain.

See http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/hormonal/new_research/20091215.jsp
    for more on vitamin d and arimidex pain.

It is worth a try and I would hate to see you give up without checking if your vit d level is normal.

P.S.
    The test to check vitamin d is a simple blood test called vitamin D, 25-hydroxy total. Hope this helps.

I had terrible neck pain before my vit d level was "fixed." I have been able to tolerate arimidex much better since then (almost no neck pain and less aches in general). Hope this helps!
  • scarlettg7

P.S.
    The test to check vitamin d is a simple blood test called vitamin D, 25-hydroxy total. Hope this helps.

I had terrible neck pain before my vit d level was "fixed." I have been able to tolerate arimidex much better since then (almost no neck pain and less aches in general). Hope this helps!

Yes this helps, I will
    Yes this helps, I will defintely mention this to my onc. when I go get my next blood test, I will look into it, in the meantime I will still keep researching, at least now I know im not the only one with some of these side effects. This site has helped me soo much, I can jump on here at 3" in the morning with any question & there is always someone "near & far" to help with any question or offer some soothing advice, thanks to everyone.
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762

Yes this helps, I will
    Yes this helps, I will defintely mention this to my onc. when I go get my next blood test, I will look into it, in the meantime I will still keep researching, at least now I know im not the only one with some of these side effects. This site has helped me soo much, I can jump on here at 3" in the morning with any question & there is always someone "near & far" to help with any question or offer some soothing advice, thanks to everyone.

I'm having the numbness on the left side of my body
    and just realized it's a side effect of arimidex. It started with my foot and I thought it was neuropothy from the Taxol, but it keeps getting worse and worse. Now it's all the way from my shoulder to my toes. Tomorrow I stop taking it and call my onc. She had me scheduled to see a neurologist thinking it was left over neuropothy, but now I don't think so.... What else can we take if this happens?

I found this website description of side effects:
    What are the possible side effects of anastrozole(arimidex)?
    emt Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
    donot Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:

* sudden numbness or weakness, especially on one side of the body;
    * sudden headache, confusion, problems with vision, speech, or balance;
    * swollen glands;
    * a bone fracture; or
    * swelling in your hands or feet;
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Mama G said:

I'm having the numbness on the left side of my body
    and just realized it's a side effect of arimidex. It started with my foot and I thought it was neuropothy from the Taxol, but it keeps getting worse and worse. Now it's all the way from my shoulder to my toes. Tomorrow I stop taking it and call my onc. She had me scheduled to see a neurologist thinking it was left over neuropothy, but now I don't think so.... What else can we take if this happens?

I found this website description of side effects:
    What are the possible side effects of anastrozole(arimidex)?
    emt Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
    donot Call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:

* sudden numbness or weakness, especially on one side of the body;
    * sudden headache, confusion, problems with vision, speech, or balance;
    * swollen glands;
    * a bone fracture; or
    * swelling in your hands or feet;

MaMaG
    Did you mean to put

MaMaG
    Did you mean to put the do not call your doctor for the lower effects because everything I have read says to call your doctor immediately if you have any of these. Just checking because these are serious and my handout with arimidex said call the doctor for these. I think that was just a typo on your part. This is good info to give out. Sorry about your neuropathy. My hubby has this from diabetes and it is no fun. Hope it gets resolved for you.
    Stef
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    fauxma said:

MaMaG
    Did you mean to put

MaMaG
    Did you mean to put the do not call your doctor for the lower effects because everything I have read says to call your doctor immediately if you have any of these. Just checking because these are serious and my handout with arimidex said call the doctor for these. I think that was just a typo on your part. This is good info to give out. Sorry about your neuropathy. My hubby has this from diabetes and it is no fun. Hope it gets resolved for you.
    Stef

Yes, Stef. I don't know where that donot came from???
    I copied and pasted all of that! Weird. Well, update, I went to the onc today and she took me off Arimidex for a month to see if that was what caused my problem. She also put me on B12, so for those of you on it with minimal side effects you might want to take the B12. She said you can't have too much B12, your body will eliminate it. So it might be worth a try! Just an idea. I'm not a dr, so ask yours first.
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Mama G said:

Yes, Stef. I don't know where that donot came from???
    I copied and pasted all of that! Weird. Well, update, I went to the onc today and she took me off Arimidex for a month to see if that was what caused my problem. She also put me on B12, so for those of you on it with minimal side effects you might want to take the B12. She said you can't have too much B12, your body will eliminate it. So it might be worth a try! Just an idea. I'm not a dr, so ask yours first.

I have heard that B12 is
    I have heard that B12 is supposed to help with the neuropathy. My hubby is taking some prescription meds for his and it is helping. Can't remember the name but if I think of it I will post it. Hopefully the B12 will help you enough. Glad your doctor is taking you off for a month so you can see if that also helps. I think it is great you posted some of the lesser known side effects. Most of us know the common ones but those others need to be watched for.
    Stef