Ketagenic diet

taraHK
taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My oncologist was talking to me yesterday about a "ketogenic" diet -- which (as I understand it) is high fat/protein, low carbs.

It's a very old idea for fighting cancer -- and similar to Atkins or South Beach for weight loss, I believe. But apparently there is some new research coming out now, especially from some German teams. Has shown some success (for fighting cancer) in animal models, and also some recent reports of success for brain cancer (I think quite small scale studies).

Any else heard of/exploring this?

It would be quite difficult for me! -- I'm a real believer in that basic food pyramid! And, when I've attempted weight loss (over the years!), I've always gone for low fat diet. Also I really do love my carbs! bread, rice, pasta -- and fruit!

But, I want to be open-minded. Welcome any views --especially if anyone has gone down this route. I know quite a few people advocate reducing sugar.....

Best,

Tara

Comments

• taraHK
    woops: ketogenic
    Sorry -- should be "ketogenic". Also know as "warburg effect"
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    I'm not sure about that
    I'm not sure about that particular diet, but from what all I've read, high protein/fat is where I have been going during my chemo. Started over 2000 CEA down to 17. Sticking with it.
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    Tara
    Tara,
    I am familiar with the ketogenic diet as our daughter has epilepsy. The diet significantly alters the chemical way the body works. People who have many seizures a day show significant improvement when on this diet. When followed strictly the body chemistry changes a lot so people are monitored closely and sometimes even hospitalized when starting the diet. Stanford has worked with people with epilepsy and the ketogenic diet for a number of years.

I don't know how it works with cancer but I would be interested to find out.

Aloha,
    Kathleen
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member

Tara
    Tara,
    I am familiar with the ketogenic diet as our daughter has epilepsy. The diet significantly alters the chemical way the body works. People who have many seizures a day show significant improvement when on this diet. When followed strictly the body chemistry changes a lot so people are monitored closely and sometimes even hospitalized when starting the diet. Stanford has worked with people with epilepsy and the ketogenic diet for a number of years.

I don't know how it works with cancer but I would be interested to find out.

Aloha,
    Kathleen

My daughter was on this diet...
    Also for seizures...

And, the Atkins variation I did a long time before cancer, for losing weight. During my treatment, tho, I ate alot of protein, but non-fatty stuff like fish, chicken and turkey.

My only question with using it as a cancer fighter is....this diet is a bit tough on the kidneys...if I remember correctly. I wonder if it is good to do during chemo, where the kidneys/liver is already under stress...

Thanks for the news!

Hugs, Kathi
  • taraHK
    KathiM said:

My daughter was on this diet...
    Also for seizures...

And, the Atkins variation I did a long time before cancer, for losing weight. During my treatment, tho, I ate alot of protein, but non-fatty stuff like fish, chicken and turkey.

My only question with using it as a cancer fighter is....this diet is a bit tough on the kidneys...if I remember correctly. I wonder if it is good to do during chemo, where the kidneys/liver is already under stress...

Thanks for the news!

Hugs, Kathi

website
    Thanks for these comments. Here is a website which looks reasonably reputable....it includes a booklet (PDF) you can download or check out....(click on the UK flag in upper right corner for English if your German isn't so good ha ha).

http://www.frauenklinik.uni-wuerzburg.de/forschung/ketogenic_english.htm

Please understand I am not trying to push this approach -- just researching at the moment. I have some concerns.....

@Kathi - yes-- I also have some query about effect on kidneys

And I'm not so sure about reducing calories (hugely) while on chemo -- I've been concentrating on maintaining my weight (I'm about 5 lbs overweight at the moment -- but very comfortable with that, while I'm on chemo...)

My oncologist is a conservative guy ...so I'm just intrigued....

Tara