stage four

Comments

• Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    carkris said:

Hugs. I met a woman in the
    Hugs. I met a woman in the store who was stage 4 had aggressive chemo and is ned currently.

MJ
    I am also Stage IV. My mets are to many lymph nodes, my liver, bones, and skin. The difference is that mine is not a recurrence, I was first diagnosed on February 10 with breast cancer and lymph node involvement. It only took another week of diagnostics to find out just how devastating it was.
    Like you, no possible surgery and no radiation either. I've now had 23 consecutive weeks of treatments. It began with Taxol, Herceptin, and Zometa. This regimen continued for 10 weeks, since then it's just Herceptin weekly with Zometa every 4 weeks.

There's nothing easy about it but for me it's do-able. The message I want to send is that Stage IV is not an immediate death sentence. I live with a lot of HOPE. My head is not stuck in the sand, I'm very aware that it can take a bad turn at any moment.

When I looked at my second scan (I didn't look at the first) and saw the numerous tumors in my liver, it really scared me and I couldn't get it out of my mind (fear) for about 2 days - then I finally came to terms with it and set forth to fight as hard and as long as I can. I've since had another scan and the GOOD NEWS is that those same tumors continue to shrink in size.

I'm wishing the same success for you, regardless what the treatment plan is. Please stay strong both mentally and physically. I would send the same message to your husband along with my sympathy for his already having been through this. Four words mean more to me now than they ever did before, they are FAITH, HOPE, LOVE, and COURAGE.

God bless us all! MM
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    so sorry
    Hi mjfromtx,

I've learned a lot on this board and on breastcancer.org and there is a forum there just for stage 4 women. I think you will find a lot of support and helpful information there.

Here is the link: http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/8

Praying for you on Wednesday. Please keep us updated on how you're doing.

Grace and peace to you,
    dh
  • lksdgrl101
    lksdgrl101 Member Posts: 12
    prayers
    I am new to this, just diagnosed in May, and had a bilateral mastectomy July 10, don't know my full plan of attack yet, but please know that you and your husband will continually in my prayers.

Kris
  • jennytwist
    jennytwist Member Posts: 896

prayers
    I am new to this, just diagnosed in May, and had a bilateral mastectomy July 10, don't know my full plan of attack yet, but please know that you and your husband will continually in my prayers.

Kris

Keeping you & your husband in my prayers...
    ...so sorry you have to face this! Stay strong and know we are all here for you - we are all in this together - fighting this terrible beast.
    much love,
    Jenny
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    I have stage 4 (mets to
    I have stage 4 (mets to ribs), diagnosed April 2009. Finished radiation in 2009. Been doing well on zometa and arimidex. My tumor was ER+.

I am so sorry for what you are going through. Support and prayers are heading your way! Please hang in there as many can survive for years and years with stage 4.
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    So Sorry to Hear...
    about what you're going through. It's not easy I know. I'm not stage 4, but I have several friends that are. Though it really sucks to go through continual treatment, you can still have a life and live a long time with stage 4! I have two friends, one who is 12 years since being diagnosed with stage 4 and several nodes and I think bone mets. My other "sister" is about 8 years out and keeping stable. So...though it's no picnic, you can get through it and go on (maybe with a bit more naps) to have a productive life.

Hang in there. I will be praying for you:)

Blessings,
    Sally
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Hello MJ
    Sorry to hear your news. Remember we are all here for you. Sending prayers your way for you and your husband.
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    Jean 0609 said:

Hello MJ
    Sorry to hear your news. Remember we are all here for you. Sending prayers your way for you and your husband.

Stage IV
    I have stage IV with mets to bone, diagnosed July 2009. The tumor that concerns the doctors the most is my upper left humorous. I had been taking Femara, and a monthly infusion of Zometa. Comparing last year's MRI and CT scan with ones taken in July show that the cancer may be becoming resistant to the Femara, so the oncologist changed my prescription to Aromasin. I'll continue getting the Zometa treatments. I'll also be having radiation to the upper arm very soon. On August 13th I'm scheduled to meet with the radiologist.

Even with all this going on, I'm really doing fine right now. The PET scan I had last week shows a couple new "hot spots" on my spine, but there is no evidence of disease in my organs. Also, I have no pain except for the upper arm, and that's not really pain but some sort of peculiar niggling feeling I can't describe other than to say something in there is definately not right. MRI and Xrays give no clue what is going on. But the doctors agree that it's cancer-related, so that's the reason for the radiation.

I hope all goes well for you, MJ. I wish I had some useful advice to add to what has already been said. Please keep us posted on your progress. Hugs Gracie
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

Stage IV
    I have stage IV with mets to bone, diagnosed July 2009. The tumor that concerns the doctors the most is my upper left humorous. I had been taking Femara, and a monthly infusion of Zometa. Comparing last year's MRI and CT scan with ones taken in July show that the cancer may be becoming resistant to the Femara, so the oncologist changed my prescription to Aromasin. I'll continue getting the Zometa treatments. I'll also be having radiation to the upper arm very soon. On August 13th I'm scheduled to meet with the radiologist.

Even with all this going on, I'm really doing fine right now. The PET scan I had last week shows a couple new "hot spots" on my spine, but there is no evidence of disease in my organs. Also, I have no pain except for the upper arm, and that's not really pain but some sort of peculiar niggling feeling I can't describe other than to say something in there is definately not right. MRI and Xrays give no clue what is going on. But the doctors agree that it's cancer-related, so that's the reason for the radiation.

I hope all goes well for you, MJ. I wish I had some useful advice to add to what has already been said. Please keep us posted on your progress. Hugs Gracie

I am so sad to read that you
    I am so sad to read that you have breast cancer again. Praying for you and your husband!

I hope you find strength and encouragement from this great board of survivors!

Hugs, Leeza
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Jean 0609 said:

Hello MJ

Just thought I would send
    Just thought I would send you a big hug today!

Sue :)
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631

MJ
    I am also Stage IV. My mets are to many lymph nodes, my liver, bones, and skin. The difference is that mine is not a recurrence, I was first diagnosed on February 10 with breast cancer and lymph node involvement. It only took another week of diagnostics to find out just how devastating it was.
    Like you, no possible surgery and no radiation either. I've now had 23 consecutive weeks of treatments. It began with Taxol, Herceptin, and Zometa. This regimen continued for 10 weeks, since then it's just Herceptin weekly with Zometa every 4 weeks.

There's nothing easy about it but for me it's do-able. The message I want to send is that Stage IV is not an immediate death sentence. I live with a lot of HOPE. My head is not stuck in the sand, I'm very aware that it can take a bad turn at any moment.

When I looked at my second scan (I didn't look at the first) and saw the numerous tumors in my liver, it really scared me and I couldn't get it out of my mind (fear) for about 2 days - then I finally came to terms with it and set forth to fight as hard and as long as I can. I've since had another scan and the GOOD NEWS is that those same tumors continue to shrink in size.

I'm wishing the same success for you, regardless what the treatment plan is. Please stay strong both mentally and physically. I would send the same message to your husband along with my sympathy for his already having been through this. Four words mean more to me now than they ever did before, they are FAITH, HOPE, LOVE, and COURAGE.

God bless us all! MM

The more I read
    on these posts the more scared I get. I was dx with bc in May 2010 from biopsy done in oncology surgeon's office. Then had breast MRI to find out how large the bc was. Also had stereostatic biopsy of other breast. I had bilateral mastectomy June 22. This week I had a needle biopsy of my thyroid and an abdominal ultrasound of liver, pancreas, gallbladder and kidneys. What scan did you have done and what prompted your dr to order it????
    Char
  • toniannp
    toniannp Member Posts: 1
    stage 4
    I will be praying for you. I am asking for prayer for myself also. I was told that i had breast cancer in 98. did the chemo rads thing. was in remission for 10 years. '08 was told cancer is back. three rounds of chemo later cancer now stage 4 and aggressive. I am a single mom of 2 teens. lost my husband to cancer in '07. he had leukemia. Please pray for me and my girls. and as i always say never give up hope.
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    I'm so sorry mj
    What can anyone say except we are all here for you and praying. I'm so sorry that you have to comfort your hubby as well as yourself, but God must have put you two together for a reason. I know that you fought this fight before and I know you can do it again. I am not Stage 4 so I can't give you any advise but I'm sure our gals in pink that are will respond.
    Best of luck and love from one who cares.
    Wanda
  • Lighthouse_7
    toniannp said:

stage 4
    I will be praying for you. I am asking for prayer for myself also. I was told that i had breast cancer in 98. did the chemo rads thing. was in remission for 10 years. '08 was told cancer is back. three rounds of chemo later cancer now stage 4 and aggressive. I am a single mom of 2 teens. lost my husband to cancer in '07. he had leukemia. Please pray for me and my girls. and as i always say never give up hope.

toniannp
    A huge hug and prayers are on the way. I'm so sorry.
    Wanda
  • Lighthouse_7
    cahjah75 said:

The more I read
    on these posts the more scared I get. I was dx with bc in May 2010 from biopsy done in oncology surgeon's office. Then had breast MRI to find out how large the bc was. Also had stereostatic biopsy of other breast. I had bilateral mastectomy June 22. This week I had a needle biopsy of my thyroid and an abdominal ultrasound of liver, pancreas, gallbladder and kidneys. What scan did you have done and what prompted your dr to order it????
    Char

Char, I was wondering which
    Char, I was wondering which test too. It is quite scary.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

I'm so sorry mj
    What can anyone say except we are all here for you and praying. I'm so sorry that you have to comfort your hubby as well as yourself, but God must have put you two together for a reason. I know that you fought this fight before and I know you can do it again. I am not Stage 4 so I can't give you any advise but I'm sure our gals in pink that are will respond.
    Best of luck and love from one who cares.
    Wanda

I also am very sorry about
    I also am very sorry about your recurrence. It seems like so many have this summer on this board. Sending you support and prayers!

Hugs, Jan
  • cahjah75
    toniannp said:

stage 4

My heart goes out to you.
    Please keep the faith. You've been through so much. I hope there are others that you and your children can talk to. Sending cyber {[hugs}}.
    Char
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    cahjah75 said:

The more I read
    Char

Sending you good luck and
    Sending you good luck and prayers too Char!

Hugs, Leeza
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member

I also am very sorry about
    I also am very sorry about your recurrence. It seems like so many have this summer on this board. Sending you support and prayers!

Hugs, Jan

MJ, Char, and Wanda
    MJ, thinking of you and wondering how your appointment went on Thursday. Do you know yet what your treatment is going to be? Please let us know how things are going.

Char and Wanda, I assume you were asking me about the scans. To answer your questions, after the mammogram, ultra sound, and two needle biopsies, they scheduled me for an MRI. When those results came in, it indicated "suspicious" areas in the liver. It was those findings that prompted my oncologist to order a Pet Scan that would give a much better view of the liver and the bones. Then after 2 1/2 months of chemo, I had another scan but this time a CT for the abdomen and pelvic area. Just one month ago I had another CT Scan.

TO ALL, if my posts upset anyone, I'm terribly sorry. I read this site quite often but only post when I feel I have pertinant information to share. When I share my experience about such things as my scans, it's not to frighten but rather to give encouragement and hope. For a short time after watching the scan with my doctor on his computer I was upset because all I knew was that I had "numerous tumors" in my liver. When I saw the actual pictures I wondered how I had even survived. Then when you see and compare the most recent scan and how things are so much better, it fills you with optimism and hope. THAT'S the message I want to convey to others. If I can do this, so can you!

God Bless Us All. MM
  • cahjah75

MJ, Char, and Wanda
    MJ, thinking of you and wondering how your appointment went on Thursday. Do you know yet what your treatment is going to be? Please let us know how things are going.

Char and Wanda, I assume you were asking me about the scans. To answer your questions, after the mammogram, ultra sound, and two needle biopsies, they scheduled me for an MRI. When those results came in, it indicated "suspicious" areas in the liver. It was those findings that prompted my oncologist to order a Pet Scan that would give a much better view of the liver and the bones. Then after 2 1/2 months of chemo, I had another scan but this time a CT for the abdomen and pelvic area. Just one month ago I had another CT Scan.

TO ALL, if my posts upset anyone, I'm terribly sorry. I read this site quite often but only post when I feel I have pertinant information to share. When I share my experience about such things as my scans, it's not to frighten but rather to give encouragement and hope. For a short time after watching the scan with my doctor on his computer I was upset because all I knew was that I had "numerous tumors" in my liver. When I saw the actual pictures I wondered how I had even survived. Then when you see and compare the most recent scan and how things are so much better, it fills you with optimism and hope. THAT'S the message I want to convey to others. If I can do this, so can you!

God Bless Us All. MM

MM
    thanks for commenting about the scans. However, was your first MRI of your breasts or your whole body???? I just had an abdominal ultrasound on Wednesday because of an elevated liver function test.
    Char