snowyswitzerland
snowyswitzerland Member Posts: 11
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Gosh I don't really know where to start. I just want to say thank you to everyone for the warmth and kindness on your discussion board. I was diagnosed with stage 3a colon cancer in February and have been lurking on the computer reading all your posts for the past 2 weeks.

I live in Switzerland, although originally I am from London, England. I have 2 daughters, 10 and 11 (Amélie & Élodie) and a wonderful husband named Cedric.

10 years ago I had a colonoscopy because my mum had a polyp. ( I am now 43.) The doctor only found hemorrhoids and I was told to come back in 10 years. About a year or so ago I started having blood in my stools. I didn't worry about it as I thought it was the hemorrhoids. When the 10 years was up I went for a second colonoscopy and a polyp was found. (January this year.) In February I had 15cm of my colon, the polyp and 26 lymph nodes removed. The polyp and one lymph node were found to be cancerous.

In March I started my chemo. I am now up to cycle 10. I haven't suffered too much from nerve damage. My biggest problem is my cell counts. I can't remember the names but I have had the 4 injections and the one off injection to try and boost my white cells. Today was the third time my chemo has had to be delayed. For my last 3 cycles the doctor wants a 3 week cycles rather than a 2.

The hardest thing to handle was hearing from my mum and sister after I was diagnosed that my mum had also had a cancerous polyp (no chemo) and my sister a non cancerous polyp. If only they had told me I would not have waited until the 10 year mark for a check. British people are not very good at talking about poos and bottoms!

In the beginning I was scared stiff. My biggest fear was not seeing my girls grow up because the cancer spreads. Since reading all the posts on this site I have been given so much inspiration to think positive and that even if the worst happens and the cancer spreads it might not mean the end.

If any of you have tips to help my cells I would really appreciate it. Today my neutrophile was 0.24, my thrombozyten was 75, white 2.36 and platelets 75.

Anne x

Comments

• Sonia32
    Sonia32 Member Posts: 1,071 Member
    Welcome
    I know everyone else will chime in, but just wanted to welcome you to the board. You are amongst an amazing group of people, who I consider to be my online family. By the way I'm glad you've found this board, as a Brit myself you'll know what the English boards are like. Anyway hope you will stick around.

Sonia
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Welcome!
    I'm a 'displaced' American, living in The Netherlands....just up the way from you....

As far as white counts, are you using Neupogin? That worked well for me. Also, with my oncologist's blessing, I drank alot of green tea (antioxidents) and rose hip tea (same...vitamin C). I also steered clear of any and everyone who had the slightest sniffle...a cold can be big trouble, if your white count is down.

Even with all of that, I still had to delay one cycle...my white count was just too low. Don't panic if it happens...it's a fairly normal thing...the docs are just protecting you...

Welcome to the semi-colons!

Hugs, Kathi
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Welcome
    You have found a great group of people to help you get through this. We have no trouble talking about poo and bottoms here so be forewarned :) My husband used to give me neupogen shots several days before my chemo treatment to boost my white count and neutriphile count. My platelett count would have to come back on its own though. It was becoming every three weeks in between treatment for me too. It won't hurt the effects if you go every three weeks. Sometimes it is just your body saying give me a break. Welcome to the board.

Kim
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Hi
    Hi, Anne.

Welcome to the board! I'm sorry your family didn't do a better job of sharing information. Might have made a big difference for you!

I hope your treatments go well. Keep us posted here!

*hugs*
    Gail
  • tabur
    tabur Member Posts: 71 Member
    Welcome Anne
    As a fellow caregiver, please inform Amélie, Élodie and Cedric that they are welcome here too.

Bless you.

Al
  • snowyswitzerland
    snowyswitzerland Member Posts: 11
    tabur said:

Welcome Anne
    As a fellow caregiver, please inform Amélie, Élodie and Cedric that they are welcome here too.

Bless you.

Al

thank you
    Just wanted thank you for making me feel so welcome.

Anne
  • ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member

thank you
    Just wanted thank you for making me feel so welcome.

Anne

G'day Anne
    welcome from australia . We are an international mob. Good luck with your treatment ,if it's any encouragement I was stage 3c into 6 lymph nodes ,have been ca free for over 12 1/2 years . Cheers Ron.
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Welcome!!
    Welcome to the forum!