Good afternoon ladies and a few gents, I have my surgery date scheduled.

2Floridiansisters
2Floridiansisters Member Posts: 384 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am having that sentinel dye injection done on September 14th then the next day at 8:30 in the morning I am getting that wire placement procedure done then at 11:00 it's off to the surgery floor. I am having a lumpectomy and pray I am agreeing to the right decision.

Oh lord I pray. I sure don't want to ever in my life go through this again. So I have 2 more chemo treatments to get through and my last one is August 25th, then it's the surgery then soon after that I start the radiation. ewwww that part scares me the most.

But the bright side of all of this is I should have all this done by Thanksgiving, and this year I think I'll understand more what it means to be thankful. No more taking anything for granted.

Okay that's my news, Love Ronda

Comments

• missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Congratulations on your decision, Ronda
    I had the dye injection, wires, lumpectomy, chemo and an almost done with rads (yeah). There's a little voice of intuition in all of us--trust and believe in yours. Sounds as if you have gathered all the info you can and came to a decision that's right for you. Good job! Don't be scared of the radiation--I've had 29 treatments so far--6 to go. I am doing just fine--a little red, a little tired, a little sore, but determined to get this done and move on.

You will definitely have a blessed Thanksgiving!

Prayers and hugs to you,
    Renee
  • 2Floridiansisters
    missrenee said:

Congratulations on your decision, Ronda
    I had the dye injection, wires, lumpectomy, chemo and an almost done with rads (yeah). There's a little voice of intuition in all of us--trust and believe in yours. Sounds as if you have gathered all the info you can and came to a decision that's right for you. Good job! Don't be scared of the radiation--I've had 29 treatments so far--6 to go. I am doing just fine--a little red, a little tired, a little sore, but determined to get this done and move on.

You will definitely have a blessed Thanksgiving!

Prayers and hugs to you,
    Renee

Thank you Renee
    Would you want to tell me about that wire thing, I know next to nothing about what that is like.

This sure is an ordeal, isn't it? Congratulations on almost being done!
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Hi Ronda,
    Glad to hear that you made your decision. My thoughts & prayers will be with you during your surgeries. When they put the wire lead in, they do a sonogram to find your lump and mark it, so that your breast surgeon knows exactly where to go for the lumptectomy.

If I remember correctly, we are on the same chemo schedule. Do you have your third chemo this Wednesday like me? We'll be almost done. Yay! Hugs, Jean
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    Jean 0609 said:

Hi Ronda,
    Glad to hear that you made your decision. My thoughts & prayers will be with you during your surgeries. When they put the wire lead in, they do a sonogram to find your lump and mark it, so that your breast surgeon knows exactly where to go for the lumptectomy.

If I remember correctly, we are on the same chemo schedule. Do you have your third chemo this Wednesday like me? We'll be almost done. Yay! Hugs, Jean

Ronda, you've been on such a
    Ronda, you've been on such a roller coaster ride, but I think that you've made a good decision about your surgery. I'm praying that you will have peace about it.

The wire localization is the way Jean described: they may do a mammo to find the clip left when you had your core biopsy, instead of a sonogram. After that, you just have to be careful not to hit the wire.

Joyce
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    So glad
    you've got a plan Ronda:-) It seems we all want to hurry up and get rid of the bc and all we end up doing is waiting....... Best wishes for a positive outcome.
    Char
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    jk1952 said:

Ronda, you've been on such a
    Ronda, you've been on such a roller coaster ride, but I think that you've made a good decision about your surgery. I'm praying that you will have peace about it.

The wire localization is the way Jean described: they may do a mammo to find the clip left when you had your core biopsy, instead of a sonogram. After that, you just have to be careful not to hit the wire.

Joyce

Hi!
    Hi Ronda! They did the wire on me before the lumpectomy. They numbed me first, whew, then did an ultrasound to find the titanium clip that had been placed during my core biopsy to find the tumor site. Then, the tech inserted the wire at the tumor site. I felt nothing, as I was numb. whew again. lol So, they wheeled me back to my room to wait for the surgery. My hubby thought the wire sticking out of me was amusing. grrrrrrrr lol

Actually, I did too. I didn't wait long though. They came pretty quick to wheel me into surgery. Don't worry about it. It was painless for me.

And, don't worry about rads. We can all help you through them. Been there, done that you know. When will you start rads?

Sue :)
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    cahjah75 said:

So glad
    you've got a plan Ronda:-) It seems we all want to hurry up and get rid of the bc and all we end up doing is waiting....... Best wishes for a positive outcome.
    Char

I'm glad the decision part
    I'm glad the decision part is over. You'll do great. Rads isn't bad, the dr. sees you every week. Your rads tech team will take good care of you. If you have the slightest problem dr. will stop. I burned and my dr postponed rads, I didn't think it was a big deal I've had sunburns look worse than that. Never felt any pain.
  • 2Floridiansisters

I'm glad the decision part
    I'm glad the decision part is over. You'll do great. Rads isn't bad, the dr. sees you every week. Your rads tech team will take good care of you. If you have the slightest problem dr. will stop. I burned and my dr postponed rads, I didn't think it was a big deal I've had sunburns look worse than that. Never felt any pain.

Thanks dear ladies for all your support!!!!
    Yes Jean you and I are on the same chemo schedule, I don't know how you feel but I actually look forward to getting the chemo!!!! To me it means I am getting the help my body needs, I can't wait to have it all end though because I can't stand being bald, I hate it truthfully.

Dear Joyce, like you I am opting for doing the least invasive procedure, I am so hopeful that I am doing the right thing, if not then I guess the lord will get me through whatever happens in the future. We really don't know what tomorrow brings and I am scared that I am not giving this cancer the "big guns" but my surgeon has me convinced to go with the lumpectomy, he better be right.

Oh thank you Ritzy, that doesn't sound too bad, you make it sound doable, my surgeon did give me a script for some valium for these 2 days and trust me, I'm taking them!!!!

Thank you Char for the wishes!!!! I really do appreciate them.

Thank you as well ms.sunshine, those rads sound so scary to me because as a young girl I always burned year after year, the kind of peeling, blistering sunburns, ewwwwwwww, thanks for telling me they will quit if it gets to that point. I have orderd this cream online made just for radiation patients. I'll use it too.

God bless each and everyone of you!!!
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member

Yes Jean you and I are on the same chemo schedule, I don't know how you feel but I actually look forward to getting the chemo!!!! To me it means I am getting the help my body needs, I can't wait to have it all end though because I can't stand being bald, I hate it truthfully.

Dear Joyce, like you I am opting for doing the least invasive procedure, I am so hopeful that I am doing the right thing, if not then I guess the lord will get me through whatever happens in the future. We really don't know what tomorrow brings and I am scared that I am not giving this cancer the "big guns" but my surgeon has me convinced to go with the lumpectomy, he better be right.

Oh thank you Ritzy, that doesn't sound too bad, you make it sound doable, my surgeon did give me a script for some valium for these 2 days and trust me, I'm taking them!!!!

Thank you as well ms.sunshine, those rads sound so scary to me because as a young girl I always burned year after year, the kind of peeling, blistering sunburns, ewwwwwwww, thanks for telling me they will quit if it gets to that point. I have orderd this cream online made just for radiation patients. I'll use it too.

YES, take the Valium when
    YES, take the Valium when you feel you need them, and, don't be afraid to ask for more.

The procedure is doable. Just make sure they numb you first, because some on here weren't, and, they can do it.

God bless you too Rhonda!

Sue :)
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member

Thank you Renee
    Would you want to tell me about that wire thing, I know next to nothing about what that is like.

This sure is an ordeal, isn't it? Congratulations on almost being done!

The girls explained the wire localization thing pretty well.
    Unfortunately, my tumor was very deep (against the chest wall) so it was kind of difficult to completely numb me. My surgeon put 3 wires in, taped them down and I actually had surgery the next day. I'm not the bravest person out there, and I can't lie to you--for me it did hurt but I think it was my unfortunate tumor location. Also, I squeezed my nurse's hand like the dickens and it was pretty quick. Not as fun as a day at the beach, but not the most horrible thing I've ever had either. If you have drugs--take 'em! Yeah, you're right--this is an ordeal and it really sucks. Thanks for the congrats--this has been a long haul.

Best wishes and prayers,
    Renee
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member

Rhonda, I'm glad that you
    Rhonda, I'm glad that you finally made your decision. I know what a weight that is off your mind. You will do just fine and now you can concentrate on completing your treatments. You mentioned that you bought some cream online and I just wanted to caution you to make sure your radiation onc is okay with you using it. It seems our docs differ on what they recommend we use. Good luck to you on completing your chemo, having your surgery, completing rads and then on to living, again!! Take care.
  • m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 441
    MyTurnNow said:

Rhonda, I'm glad that you
    Rhonda, I'm glad that you finally made your decision. I know what a weight that is off your mind. You will do just fine and now you can concentrate on completing your treatments. You mentioned that you bought some cream online and I just wanted to caution you to make sure your radiation onc is okay with you using it. It seems our docs differ on what they recommend we use. Good luck to you on completing your chemo, having your surgery, completing rads and then on to living, again!! Take care.

Hi Ronda,
    Wishing you all

Hi Ronda,

Wishing you all the best with your surgery and treatments. I know how hard it was for you to decide hat was the best surgery option.

Sending you happy thoughts and (((hugs)))

Kay =)