Biopsy

Skid Row Tom
Skid Row Tom Member Posts: 125
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
I was curious about something. A contributor mentioned that he was "too drugged up" during the biopsy to remember anything. The people I talked to prior to my biopsy reported they were either "knocked out" or were given Valium or some other mind-numbing drug. At Johns Hopkins I took it like a man(joke). No sedation, no Valium or anything else. The 12 "sticks" were quite unpleasant, but the instruments they stuck up my "exit only" felt what it must be like to be raped by a broom handle. Good Lord! This was second only, however, to the dilation they performed several weeks after my prostatectomy. They squirted lidocaine up my other "exit only" and then inserted a camera and dilation tools. No sedation, Valium or anything else. Following that, they took me to a room and demonstrated how to self-cath. I got it in once (they said the urethra might be "slightly irritated"), pulled it out, and they wanted me to do it again! I told them I couldn't do it again. Well, I digress. The biopsy -- were you sedated, or not?

Comments

• NM
    NM Member Posts: 214
    sedated
    I was sedated on both my biopsyes. First 1 showed no cancer. Second 1 showed 5 out of 6 lobes cancerous. Second 1 also got infected and I missed a week of work. I really dont believe you werent sedated and for the self cath, wow scarey as hell

I had my second opinion at John Hopkins (slides sent only) and I though they were one of the best hospitals in the USA. I hope you state that what you went through is unacceptable and want better treatment.

I still think you are in a number 1 hospital and I hope your biopsy shows nada as far as cancer is concerned..Nick
  • Trew
    Trew Member Posts: 932 Member
    Not!
    And I remember every single sample taken- all 750 of them!! Or was it only 12 and I miscounted?
  • BRONX52
    BRONX52 Member Posts: 156
    BIOPSY
    WHEN I HAD MY BIOPSY I WASN'T DRUGGED UP EITHER. THE DOCTOR SMILED AND SAID I WOULD ONLY FEEL A SLIGHT STING WHILE HE WAS TAKING THE SAMPLES. IT WAS AN UNPLEASANT EXPERIENCE BUT TOLERABLE, BUT NOT SOMETHING I WOULD CARE TO DO AGAIN. HOW THE DOCTOR FIGURES IT WILL ONLY STING IS BEYOND ME-----UNLESS HE HAD A BIOPSY DONE WHICH I DOUBT !!
  • Kongo
    Kongo Member Posts: 1,166 Member
    BRONX52 said:

BIOPSY
    WHEN I HAD MY BIOPSY I WASN'T DRUGGED UP EITHER. THE DOCTOR SMILED AND SAID I WOULD ONLY FEEL A SLIGHT STING WHILE HE WAS TAKING THE SAMPLES. IT WAS AN UNPLEASANT EXPERIENCE BUT TOLERABLE, BUT NOT SOMETHING I WOULD CARE TO DO AGAIN. HOW THE DOCTOR FIGURES IT WILL ONLY STING IS BEYOND ME-----UNLESS HE HAD A BIOPSY DONE WHICH I DOUBT !!

"Unpleasant"
    When a doctor tells you one of his procedures "may be a bit unpleasant" it's an euphenism for "this is going to hurt like hell!" My prostate was numbed up a bit before the biopsy needles went to work but that hurt like hell and each of the 12 clips were quite painful and the overall pain afterward was about 5 on a 1-10 scale and didn't subside till the following day. When it came time for the fiducial implants I needed for CyberKnife treatment I had them put me under and not do it transrectally. Didn't feel a thing either during or after.
  • steckley
    steckley Member Posts: 100
    Not sedated
    Skid,

No sedation .... the doc said it wouldn't hurt .... he was right .... he didn't feel a thing.
  • sylvan75
    sylvan75 Member Posts: 30
    NM said:

sedated
    I was sedated on both my biopsyes. First 1 showed no cancer. Second 1 showed 5 out of 6 lobes cancerous. Second 1 also got infected and I missed a week of work. I really dont believe you werent sedated and for the self cath, wow scarey as hell

I had my second opinion at John Hopkins (slides sent only) and I though they were one of the best hospitals in the USA. I hope you state that what you went through is unacceptable and want better treatment.

I still think you are in a number 1 hospital and I hope your biopsy shows nada as far as cancer is concerned..Nick

Sedated
    I have my Biopsy scheduled for next week. Did you get any anti-biotics to take prior to your biopsy to prevent infection? I was given some medication and told to start taking it a day before my Biopsy and take 1 the day of my biopsy and continue taking after to prevent infection
  • jminnj
    jminnj Member Posts: 129 Member
    Not Sedated
    I was not sedated or given any medication for my biopsy. Every time th doc said "Breathe in and hold it" I knew what was next. It sounded like a single shot nail gun going off.
  • Kongo
    Kongo Member Posts: 1,166 Member
    sylvan75 said:

Sedated
    I have my Biopsy scheduled for next week. Did you get any anti-biotics to take prior to your biopsy to prevent infection? I was given some medication and told to start taking it a day before my Biopsy and take 1 the day of my biopsy and continue taking after to prevent infection

Drugs
    Sylvan, the drugs the gave you to take before and afterward are everything you need. The biopys is done by inserting the needles through the rectum and then into the prostate so the infection risk is high without the antibiotics.
  • sylvan75
    sylvan75 Member Posts: 30
    Kongo said:

Drugs
    Sylvan, the drugs the gave you to take before and afterward are everything you need. The biopys is done by inserting the needles through the rectum and then into the prostate so the infection risk is high without the antibiotics.

Biopsy
    Kongo, TKS. I am still apprehensive, but I guess I have to go through with it.
  • ejn
    ejn Member Posts: 64
    jminnj said:

Not Sedated
    I was not sedated or given any medication for my biopsy. Every time th doc said "Breathe in and hold it" I knew what was next. It sounded like a single shot nail gun going off.

Was Knocked OUT
    This was my second biopsy. After the first one was negative my uro was still sure PCa was there. The second biopsy was 2 years later and when he said he wanted to take additional samples I told him that it was not happening without drugs. They knocked me out and took 36 samples and hit pay dirt. I guess my uro is happy now.
  • dav5942
    dav5942 Member Posts: 16
    ejn said:

Was Knocked OUT
    This was my second biopsy. After the first one was negative my uro was still sure PCa was there. The second biopsy was 2 years later and when he said he wanted to take additional samples I told him that it was not happening without drugs. They knocked me out and took 36 samples and hit pay dirt. I guess my uro is happy now.

Not much to it(no meds)!
    Not much to it(no meds)! Watched each sample on a monitor next to me.
  • ProfWagstaff
    ProfWagstaff Member Posts: 98 Member
    Not Sedated
    Doctor told me that if I were very agitated, he'd "give me someting like a valium" but his usual procedure is not to do that. All I had were antibiotics and of course the visit the previous day of my "friend, Mr. Fleet. They said that "the pain from biopsy is not unbearable or we'd be doing this in the hospital instead of in my office." I was told that it feels like someone snapping a rubber band, but that is not a location where anyone ever snaps rubber bands on me so it did hurt. It was the only "invasive" procedure I went through where I was fully conscious and aware. My doctor told me that some urologists are downplaying PSA because it causes so many unncessary biopsies. I guess they figure "unnecessary" because something like 12 out of 13 come back negative. As unpleasant as the biopsy procedure was, I'd have gladly taken 11 more of 'em if they were all to come back negative.
  • Skid Row Tom
    Skid Row Tom Member Posts: 125

Not Sedated
    Doctor told me that if I were very agitated, he'd "give me someting like a valium" but his usual procedure is not to do that. All I had were antibiotics and of course the visit the previous day of my "friend, Mr. Fleet. They said that "the pain from biopsy is not unbearable or we'd be doing this in the hospital instead of in my office." I was told that it feels like someone snapping a rubber band, but that is not a location where anyone ever snaps rubber bands on me so it did hurt. It was the only "invasive" procedure I went through where I was fully conscious and aware. My doctor told me that some urologists are downplaying PSA because it causes so many unncessary biopsies. I guess they figure "unnecessary" because something like 12 out of 13 come back negative. As unpleasant as the biopsy procedure was, I'd have gladly taken 11 more of 'em if they were all to come back negative.

Thanks
    Thanks for the comments. Yes, Mr. Fleet and I are well-acquainted, and I did have antibiotics before all procedures. The "sticks" were unpleasant (maybe it was the nail gun sound it made), but it felt more like he was inserting his forearm rather than micro-instruments. I remember thinking, "Hey, could you put a little lube on that thing?"
  • Swingshiftworker
    Swingshiftworker Member Posts: 1,017 Member

Thanks
    Thanks for the comments. Yes, Mr. Fleet and I are well-acquainted, and I did have antibiotics before all procedures. The "sticks" were unpleasant (maybe it was the nail gun sound it made), but it felt more like he was inserting his forearm rather than micro-instruments. I remember thinking, "Hey, could you put a little lube on that thing?"

Was not "knocked out" for my
    Was not "knocked out" for my biopsy. Only received a local anesthetic. The samples taken were uncomfortable but not painful. Took a cipro tablet afterwards to ward off infection.
  • randy_in_indy
    randy_in_indy Member Posts: 496 Member
    sylvan75 said:

Sedated

Sylvan75
    Make sure you take the antibiotics to a "t" or you risk getting a very unpleasant infection. I was not sedated and probably not typical of many who complain about the biopsy procedure. I actually did not have any pain what so ever. My surgeon preforming the biopsy first did a numing gel on the inside of the rectum...that must have done the trick because when he said ok I will do this on three and counted...he pulled the trigger and I said that didn't hurt at all....his comment was "you're tough!" I said no you must be good at this. He would say "sorry dude" after each of the 8 samples he took. Then on the third one my cell phone rang....to which the Doc said..."you may here some ringing while I do this" The nurse and he and I all laughed pretty good at that...then he said hey if you can reach it you can get the message if you want, it may take your mind off it, so I did just that and listened to my message while getting the biopsy. For me the biopsey was a none event - I walked out drove myself home and had no pain or infection...Make sure you do the bowel prep - sodium solution day before and dulax pills...that will help keep the chance of infection down. I had much more discomfort with the MRI with coil up the largest "exit only" tunnel than the biopsy. I'm with Skid row Tom on the smaller "exit only" tunnel...I cannot stand anything up that orfice...I dreaded the cath from the davinci but it turned out I didn't have too much issue with it. I can remember in college once I got tested for an std with a Q~tip up there and felt like decking the doctor it was so painful....much like passing a kidney stone which I have also done while in college. Good luck with the biopsy...ask them to numb it first with numbing gel...I remember they had me wait about 7 minutes after applying prior to the biopsy...kinda mentally uncomfortable waiting for them to come back and actually doing the biopsy while the gel took effect but once they started it was a breeze...hopefully you have the same experience.

Randy In Indy
    142 Member Posts: 169

Thanks

Biopsy
    I was not sedated - it was nothing compared to my last crown.

Same antibiotic routine plus Mr. Fleet. Getting my 3 Calypso markers implanted was worse than the 12 core biopsy.

Cleaned up and went back to the office for the rest of the day.
  • bdhilton
    bdhilton Member Posts: 846 Member
    Like you I had “one of the
    Like you I had “one of the best” places do my “stuff”…The biopsy was the most underrated pain and aftereffects I went through even compared to my surgery…My urology wipe my rectum and colon with a little numbing jelly and within 30 seconds was taking his samples…I was literally shaking with pain for about an hours plus ejaculating blood for a couple of weeks...I am glad the prostate is out as I would never do it again unless they put me out…
  • bdhilton
    bdhilton Member Posts: 846 Member
    steckley said:

Not sedated
    Skid,

No sedation .... the doc said it wouldn't hurt .... he was right .... he didn't feel a thing.

How right you are....Funny
    How right you are....Funny how it does nto hurt the doctors :-)
  • ejn
    ejn Member Posts: 64
    bdhilton said:

Like you I had “one of the
    Like you I had “one of the best” places do my “stuff”…The biopsy was the most underrated pain and aftereffects I went through even compared to my surgery…My urology wipe my rectum and colon with a little numbing jelly and within 30 seconds was taking his samples…I was literally shaking with pain for about an hours plus ejaculating blood for a couple of weeks...I am glad the prostate is out as I would never do it again unless they put me out…

BD
    That is exactly why I had him put me out for the 2nd biopsy. He told me he was going to take 36 cores and there was no way I was going to lay there for that. The after was still ugly but at least I didnt have to feel him up in me for that length of time. I think I was out for 1-1/2 hours during the procedure. I am also glad to be done with those, but my surgery is not for another week.
    142 Member Posts: 169
    ejn said:

BD
    That is exactly why I had him put me out for the 2nd biopsy. He told me he was going to take 36 cores and there was no way I was going to lay there for that. The after was still ugly but at least I didnt have to feel him up in me for that length of time. I think I was out for 1-1/2 hours during the procedure. I am also glad to be done with those, but my surgery is not for another week.

36 core biopsy
    I think it is accepted that a saturation biopsy deserves some sort of sedative. 12 cores was tolerable for me, but 36? Not so sure.