Infection after Expander placement surgery

tambow
tambow Member Posts: 42
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just had my expanders removed because of a nasty infection. The PS says I will need to heal for "awhile" until we can try again. Anyone else have this happen? And if so, how long before you tried again? Was it successful the second time around?

Comments

• Menda
    Menda Member Posts: 128
    I am sooo sorry
    No, that hasn't happened to me, 7 days post-op today. I can't say much except that sometimes life really sucks! The only thing you can do is put on the sexiest underwater you own and deal with it. Smile. It all seems to work out. (((((hugs)))))))))
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    Disappointing but hopeful
    How disappointing! I'm so sorry to hear this happened. Aaakkk! More waiting -- just what we all hate. The PS is not saying it's over, however, so be patient, hard as that is, and get completely healed. (No, I don't know how long.) Best wishes to you -- relax and take excellent care of yourself.
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670

How disappointing! I'm so sorry to hear this happened. Aaakkk! More waiting -- just what we all hate. The PS is not saying it's over, however, so be patient, hard as that is, and get completely healed. (No, I don't know how long.) Best wishes to you -- relax and take excellent care of yourself.

tambow
    The same exact thing happened to me. I finished with my fills in November last year. I dont know why, but still in February they hadnt scheduled for my implant surgery. I did have gallbladder surgery back in December, but they didnt know that at that time. I believe the scheduler or Dr just didnt do there job. Anyways, i developed a scab on my left breast and had an appointment with my onc and showed it to her. She told me it was "nothing" and told me to just put antibiotic ointment on it. Well, two days later, it busted open and i had a large whole in the middle of my left breast and the tissue expander was exposed and infected. They then removed the left expander, reconstruction had to be moved back two more months again. They also now have to borrow the dorsal muscle in my back to replace the lost tissue and to try to fix up all the scaring i have now. I had a total hysterectomy 6 weeks ago, so again, reconstruction was pushed back. Im finally scheduled to have it August 12th. I swear, i will really be pis*ed if something else happens. Did they tell you how long you would have to be waiting? By the way, i have a new oncologist now too.

Take care
    laura
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670

tambow
    The same exact thing happened to me. I finished with my fills in November last year. I dont know why, but still in February they hadnt scheduled for my implant surgery. I did have gallbladder surgery back in December, but they didnt know that at that time. I believe the scheduler or Dr just didnt do there job. Anyways, i developed a scab on my left breast and had an appointment with my onc and showed it to her. She told me it was "nothing" and told me to just put antibiotic ointment on it. Well, two days later, it busted open and i had a large whole in the middle of my left breast and the tissue expander was exposed and infected. They then removed the left expander, reconstruction had to be moved back two more months again. They also now have to borrow the dorsal muscle in my back to replace the lost tissue and to try to fix up all the scaring i have now. I had a total hysterectomy 6 weeks ago, so again, reconstruction was pushed back. Im finally scheduled to have it August 12th. I swear, i will really be pis*ed if something else happens. Did they tell you how long you would have to be waiting? By the way, i have a new oncologist now too.

Take care
    laura
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    lolad said:

tambow

Take care
    laura

Same thing happened to me while on the way to exchange
    surgery .. Bi-lateral on 1/12/10 .. thrilled, total arm movements and range within 1 week of surgery ... unhear of by my bc doctor and plastic surgeon.

Continued with bi-weekly fills, and Herceptin chemo every 3 weeks..

Exchange Surgery scheduled for 4/28/10 .. Daughter out on spring break .. poor thing last year of High School, Mom bed ridden from 18 weeks of extensive weekly chemo .. so we get the okay .. and we plan vacation to Bahama's .. Onc saids ...NO WaY .. stay in the US .. so we arrange to go to the Grand Cayon in Arizona .. 6 hour drive from our home .. Wonderful trip .. enjoyed ourselves ... 24 hours after arriving home, I ended up with a STAPH infection .. 5 day stay at ST. Joseph's Hospital, became friends with Dr. Arman a Infectious Disease doctor - and ended up with EMERGENCY surgery .. my right expander (non-cancer breast)became infected and needed to be taken out 4/16/10. DEVASTION followed -- Needless to state .. I never had my exchange surgery on 4/28/10/

Usual wait time is 2 to 4 months before going back in to replace - expander, then comes the fun part - fills ... so you start all over again ..

It's not fun .. It's bad enough to subject our bodies, family and life with chemo therapy, drugs, hormones .. then to get to feel a bit normal, only to have that 1 thing .. taken away.

Good luck ..

Vicki Sam
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    Yes, I had Infections - Both breasts
    I had first infection in left breast - shot right out of skin while I was taking a shower. This was 5-1/2 wks after expander surgery. 2nd infection in right breast occurred 7 weeks after expander surgery. That happened August & September 2006. I asked plastic surgeon what could I do to be successful for another expander surgery. He said two words, "Diet and exercise." From that day forward, I was religious with Weight Watchers and exercised by walking 5-7 days a week. By March 2007, I lost 50 lbs. and body was in good condition due to walking. Second time was successful. No problem with expanders. No problem with implants (silicone by Mentor). I did everything. Nipples. Aerola. They look great and feel good.

Good luck.

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Tambow Im sorry to hear
    Tambow Im sorry to hear about this. I didnt have mine removed but after my expanders were put in and i started my fills, a couple of times we had to stop everything cuz i kept getting infections and the risk of the incision site reopening. Luckly mine was kept under control but she was close to pulling them. Youll get there you just have to be patient...that word seems to pop up alot with BC. Keep us posted on your progress.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    jo jo said:

Tambow Im sorry to hear
    Tambow Im sorry to hear about this. I didnt have mine removed but after my expanders were put in and i started my fills, a couple of times we had to stop everything cuz i kept getting infections and the risk of the incision site reopening. Luckly mine was kept under control but she was close to pulling them. Youll get there you just have to be patient...that word seems to pop up alot with BC. Keep us posted on your progress.

Tambow .. how long has your reconstructed breast been
    a part of you? I am having a difficult time adjusting to my ta-ta's .. not as perky as expanders ... Infections ... go figure .. you would think we live in a dirt floored house.

I agree with JoJo .. Patient and Let's 'wait' and see, are my least favorite phases this past 13 months.

Vicki Sam
  • girls4444
    girls4444 Member Posts: 34
    Infection
    I also got a infection in my breast 3 weeks after surgery, they treated it for 3 weeks and it never cleared up so they sent me to surgery and removed my expander. The plastic surgeon said that my body was rejecting the expander and that I would need to wait 3 months before having it put back it. But in the mean time it has been a nightmare, he left my breast open to heal, so I have a nurse that comes everyday to pack and cover my breast, I was suppose to go to surgery next week to be closed up but that is not going to happen because I have tunneling in my breast that needs to heal, so now they have ordered my a would vac that I will be hooked to 24 hours a day. The plastic surgeon said he could not guarantee that this won't happen again. I don't know if I will proceed with the expander being put back in.
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    girls4444 said:

Infection
    I also got a infection in my breast 3 weeks after surgery, they treated it for 3 weeks and it never cleared up so they sent me to surgery and removed my expander. The plastic surgeon said that my body was rejecting the expander and that I would need to wait 3 months before having it put back it. But in the mean time it has been a nightmare, he left my breast open to heal, so I have a nurse that comes everyday to pack and cover my breast, I was suppose to go to surgery next week to be closed up but that is not going to happen because I have tunneling in my breast that needs to heal, so now they have ordered my a would vac that I will be hooked to 24 hours a day. The plastic surgeon said he could not guarantee that this won't happen again. I don't know if I will proceed with the expander being put back in.

This may be dumb, but, how
    This may be dumb, but, how do you know that you have an infection? Is it just a sore that shows up?

Thanks!