Long Term Disability dealings

Dapsterd
Dapsterd Member Posts: 291
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
Any body out there have experience with LTD provided by your employer?, example; Met Life, etc...If approved, How often due they require doctors updates, any payment issues, any other hassles? If employer stops or terminates plan....am I screwed?

Again, I have nsclc, with central lymph involvement, 5 or so, and tennis ball tumor in upper right lobe. Stage 3 or maybe 3b I guess.

Thanx!
Dave

Comments

• soccerfreaks
    soccerfreaks Member Posts: 2,788 Member
    LTD and SSD
    I had no problems, no hassles, with long-term disability. Once my short-term disability expired, I was transferred seamlessly to the LTD. Maybe I own my company's Human Resources Department a pat on the back for that, I'm not sure. I do know that once I was into LTD I had to do nothing more. If the insurer does need updates, at least in my case they apparently went directly to the doctors for those.

Incidentally, you might also consider checking into Social Security Disability. I know, I know, you don't feel like this will get that far. I didn't either. But my financial advisor urged me to do it (I refused for some time) and it turns out that the ACS encourages you to do it as well. If you end up needing to be away from work beyond the limits of your LTD, you will find that having applied for SSD will have been a great idea. FYI, you can apply online. It's true that filling out the forms is akin to applying for a top secret clearance, but it is worth it. Please give it some thought.

Good luck!

Take care,

Joe
  • Dapsterd

LTD and SSD
    I had no problems, no hassles, with long-term disability. Once my short-term disability expired, I was transferred seamlessly to the LTD. Maybe I own my company's Human Resources Department a pat on the back for that, I'm not sure. I do know that once I was into LTD I had to do nothing more. If the insurer does need updates, at least in my case they apparently went directly to the doctors for those.

Incidentally, you might also consider checking into Social Security Disability. I know, I know, you don't feel like this will get that far. I didn't either. But my financial advisor urged me to do it (I refused for some time) and it turns out that the ACS encourages you to do it as well. If you end up needing to be away from work beyond the limits of your LTD, you will find that having applied for SSD will have been a great idea. FYI, you can apply online. It's true that filling out the forms is akin to applying for a top secret clearance, but it is worth it. Please give it some thought.

Good luck!

Take care,

Joe

LTD
    Thanx Joe...I see you have much wisdom from your experiences and reading your bio !

Hang tough as you have been !!
    Dave
  • kelli1843
    kelli1843 Member Posts: 72
    Dapsterd said:

LTD
    Thanx Joe...I see you have much wisdom from your experiences and reading your bio !

Hang tough as you have been !!
    Dave

Just found out my employer
    Just found out my employer doesn't have LTD, I thought we did.

The Cancer Center social worker did my dbl application to SSA with me this week (online). I also contacted our work retirement system and found out they have NO available appointments for months and I was to complete the dbl retirement app myself and mail it in and "hopefully someone can get back to me in reasonable time".

Because I'm only 50, my retirement dbl will be severly decreased. But, my hands are tied as my doctor signed my return to work paper as unable to return to work at all.

Still trying to work out all the logistics of this in my mind, it's hard. I told my dogs we have to start rationing the milk bones and treats, lol.

QUESTION: Anyone that had follow up with SSA after initial application, did you need your original birth certificate? Just discovered my "important papers" file only had copies.
  • Chevy4777
    Chevy4777 Member Posts: 22
    kelli1843 said:

The Cancer Center social worker did my dbl application to SSA with me this week (online). I also contacted our work retirement system and found out they have NO available appointments for months and I was to complete the dbl retirement app myself and mail it in and "hopefully someone can get back to me in reasonable time".

Because I'm only 50, my retirement dbl will be severly decreased. But, my hands are tied as my doctor signed my return to work paper as unable to return to work at all.

Still trying to work out all the logistics of this in my mind, it's hard. I told my dogs we have to start rationing the milk bones and treats, lol.

QUESTION: Anyone that had follow up with SSA after initial application, did you need your original birth certificate? Just discovered my "important papers" file only had copies.

Birth Certificate
    Kelli,

I completed most of the Medical Information Contact information online with Social Security. I made it a point , however, to complete my application in person at the Social Security office here locally face to face. I made an appointment over the phone (got thru in 3 minutes, go figure) Got the appointment for 2 days later. Took me only 20 minutes to complete the application.

I had my birth certificate and they just glanced at it and made a copy. They have your record and I think that is all they need. Make sure you bring your SS card and Drivers License or State ID along with the copies of your birth certificate. The copy should be ok. Also, if you have it, bring a copy of your yearly SS benefit statement with you as that may ease them into accepting a copy of your birth certificate IF IT comes up regarding the original.

How's the PCI going?..any new side effects?..hope not !!!!

All the best,

Joe
  • zinniemay
    zinniemay Member Posts: 522
    kelli1843 said:

S.S.
    My husband had no problems doing his application on line. They did call because he accidently submitted it before he was don't . They asked a few questions and with in the month. It was approved. He never had to leave the house!
  • kelli1843
    zinniemay said:

S.S.
    My husband had no problems doing his application on line. They did call because he accidently submitted it before he was don't . They asked a few questions and with in the month. It was approved. He never had to leave the house!

SSA called me today and set
    SSA called me today and set up appt for August 10th, the earliest they have in our area. They are sending a packet that details more information and what I have to bring.

Joe, I'm starting to notice a slight problem in my mental capacity at times. I have been confusing my words. My dogs were outside and I said to them "C'mon, get in the sink now"....I said sink instead of house for some obscure reason.

I also referred to Comet cleanser as Crisco. I told the boyfriend we had brocolli to go with dinner when it was brussels. Today marked my 9th treatment, 1/2 way thru. I meet with my radiation onco doctor on Monday and I'll bring this up.

I seem to be getting more tired as the treatments increase but not as bad as when I did chemo & regular radiation at same time.
  • sclc2010
    sclc2010 Member Posts: 3
    kelli1843 said:

SSA process
    I have SCLC, diagnosed in April, given a prognosis of 6-12 months. In May, as a part of getting my affairs in order I made an informal visit to my local SSA office taking with me a copy of my disability statement from my physician, the path reports from the biopsey, and the treatment plan from my Oncologist. A SSA worker took my app that day and interviewed me during the visit and told me I should hear from them within 6-months. Less than 6-weeks later I had my SS Award letter in hand.

If your Dr. has given you a 12-month or less prognosis they pretty much give you what is known as a compassionate award without a lot of fuss.
  • medi_2
    medi_2 Member Posts: 505 Member
    kelli1843 said:

SSA called me today and set
    SSA called me today and set up appt for August 10th, the earliest they have in our area. They are sending a packet that details more information and what I have to bring.

Joe, I'm starting to notice a slight problem in my mental capacity at times. I have been confusing my words. My dogs were outside and I said to them "C'mon, get in the sink now"....I said sink instead of house for some obscure reason.

I also referred to Comet cleanser as Crisco. I told the boyfriend we had brocolli to go with dinner when it was brussels. Today marked my 9th treatment, 1/2 way thru. I meet with my radiation onco doctor on Monday and I'll bring this up.

I seem to be getting more tired as the treatments increase but not as bad as when I did chemo & regular radiation at same time.

hi Kelli!
    well I do not know about Joe, but I have been experiencing the same type of mental symptoms. when i am tired it gets worse. i've never had brussels, but hey maybe you have stumbled on something new! while not only the sprouts? ;) not making fun at your expense, just pointing out it is all relative you know and it will get better or worse or some day I will utter some absolute phrase of wisdom and people will follow me strewing rose petals.
    It is scarey losing what we loosly call our
    'mind' but I certainly hope it is a temp malady and we will look back and laugh one day i've been out of treatment for awhile now)
    have a lovely night!
    Medi
  • kelli1843
    medi_2 said:

hi Kelli!
    well I do not know about Joe, but I have been experiencing the same type of mental symptoms. when i am tired it gets worse. i've never had brussels, but hey maybe you have stumbled on something new! while not only the sprouts? ;) not making fun at your expense, just pointing out it is all relative you know and it will get better or worse or some day I will utter some absolute phrase of wisdom and people will follow me strewing rose petals.
    It is scarey losing what we loosly call our
    'mind' but I certainly hope it is a temp malady and we will look back and laugh one day i've been out of treatment for awhile now)
    have a lovely night!
    Medi

Hi, Medi_2
    Know what ya mean about hoping it's only a temp malady. I've noticed I'm more word-confused on days I'm more than usual tired. Other days, I'm tarp as shack! (that was bad joke there).

I like games and word puzzles, so I've been spending more time doing brain teaser games, logic problems, etc. I feel it's keeping me more mentally balanced. It's better than talking to the dogs all day and have them do the head tilt at me.
  • stayingcalm
    stayingcalm Member Posts: 650 Member
    kelli1843 said:

Hi, Medi_2
    Know what ya mean about hoping it's only a temp malady. I've noticed I'm more word-confused on days I'm more than usual tired. Other days, I'm tarp as shack! (that was bad joke there).

I like games and word puzzles, so I've been spending more time doing brain teaser games, logic problems, etc. I feel it's keeping me more mentally balanced. It's better than talking to the dogs all day and have them do the head tilt at me.

Radiation brain
    Same thing here, Medi, Kelli,

Started noticing it several months after WBR - reaching for words, transposing letters (me, champion speller, makes me want to cry!). Most definitely worse when I'm tired, too. Oh well, a clean MRI is worth a few words lost! ;)
  • nempark
    nempark Member Posts: 681
    Chevy4777 said:

Birth Certificate
    Kelli,

I completed most of the Medical Information Contact information online with Social Security. I made it a point , however, to complete my application in person at the Social Security office here locally face to face. I made an appointment over the phone (got thru in 3 minutes, go figure) Got the appointment for 2 days later. Took me only 20 minutes to complete the application.

I had my birth certificate and they just glanced at it and made a copy. They have your record and I think that is all they need. Make sure you bring your SS card and Drivers License or State ID along with the copies of your birth certificate. The copy should be ok. Also, if you have it, bring a copy of your yearly SS benefit statement with you as that may ease them into accepting a copy of your birth certificate IF IT comes up regarding the original.

How's the PCI going?..any new side effects?..hope not !!!!

All the best,

Joe

Joe and others re: SS
    Hi Guys: New to this Board. I am presently in remission, had endo cancer. I am 60 and unemployed. I am wondering if any of you think that I would be eligible for any Govt. assist. since my husband is still working and is receiving SS. We also own two homes and 401K and some savings. I am in no way greedy but my health ins. is really killing us. I went for surgery in Nov, 2009 at a hospital that takes my ins. but guess what? The Pathologist and anesthesiologist did not take it. I learned of this six months later. also some of the docs and the surgeon's assistant. So at present I owe about $17,000. Totally unbelievable and stressful. Any Info would be greatly appreciated. May God bless you all and give you all wisdom and strength to continue being well. Thanks again! nempark
  • Chevy4777
    Chevy4777 Member Posts: 22
    nempark said:

Joe and others re: SS
    Hi Guys: New to this Board. I am presently in remission, had endo cancer. I am 60 and unemployed. I am wondering if any of you think that I would be eligible for any Govt. assist. since my husband is still working and is receiving SS. We also own two homes and 401K and some savings. I am in no way greedy but my health ins. is really killing us. I went for surgery in Nov, 2009 at a hospital that takes my ins. but guess what? The Pathologist and anesthesiologist did not take it. I learned of this six months later. also some of the docs and the surgeon's assistant. So at present I owe about $17,000. Totally unbelievable and stressful. Any Info would be greatly appreciated. May God bless you all and give you all wisdom and strength to continue being well. Thanks again! nempark

Gov Assistance Eligibility
    Nempark,

Congratulations on your remission !! Good to hear.

If you own property, etc, you would not be eligible for government assistance as far as SSI is concerned. I do not know the extent of your endo(uterine) cancer, but you may want to visit this link on the Social Security website.

http://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/13.00-NeoplasticDiseases-Malignant-Adult.htm

This is a neoplastic (cancer) listing of diseases that may qualify for Social Security Disability. In your situation you may want to seek out a disability attorney, depending on your response to therapy and being as you are close to the minimum retirement age of 62.

Also, have you worked in the past to qualify for Disability or SS retirement?

Warm Regards,

Joe
  • Dapsterd
    kelli1843 said:

LTD -SSA
    Kelli, you might be suprised that your SSA Disability benefits are actually higher than "normal" SS benefits for the early 62 year old retirement, at least mine are.

I did all mine on-line and I am coming to almost 2 months for any response, I am told they have made a decision (Lung cancer is on the automatic qualification list). I should receive the confirm in the mail this week.

Thanx

Keep pushing forward !!
    Dave
  • Dapsterd
    Chevy4777 said:

Gov Assistance Eligibility
    Nempark,

Congratulations on your remission !! Good to hear.

If you own property, etc, you would not be eligible for government assistance as far as SSI is concerned. I do not know the extent of your endo(uterine) cancer, but you may want to visit this link on the Social Security website.

http://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/13.00-NeoplasticDiseases-Malignant-Adult.htm

This is a neoplastic (cancer) listing of diseases that may qualify for Social Security Disability. In your situation you may want to seek out a disability attorney, depending on your response to therapy and being as you are close to the minimum retirement age of 62.

Also, have you worked in the past to qualify for Disability or SS retirement?

Warm Regards,

Joe

SS Benefits
    Hello Joe...are you sure on owning any property denies a person of SS disability? I have never found this on the website, but I will look closer.

Do you get approved quicker if you not only dont' own, but have "negative equity" !!

We just have to have some laughs...or it is all over !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Dave
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    Dapsterd said:

SS Benefits
    Hello Joe...are you sure on owning any property denies a person of SS disability? I have never found this on the website, but I will look closer.

Do you get approved quicker if you not only dont' own, but have "negative equity" !!

We just have to have some laughs...or it is all over !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Dave

Own my own home...
    Hi Dave, Just wanted to let you know that I own my home (actually, the bank owns most of it - LOL) and am receiving SS disability. I have inoperable NSCLC in my left lung and SCC laryngeal cancer. The hospital where I am receiving my treatment filed all of the necessary paperwork and I was approved within weeks. I am not an expert on the requirements to receive disability but I believe it has to do with how long you worked and how much you put into the "system" over the years.

My husband and I were living off of his Social Security (he's retired) and when I was told by the doctors that I could no longer work the Financial Assistance department at the hospital stepped in and took care of everything for me. Without their assistance I would probably still be "lost in all the paperwork" -lol. I'm not sure if they base this on your household income or not but I believe as long as you have paid into Social Security for many years you are entitled to collect - if approved. Do you still have any of the papers mailed to you showing what you retirement benefits would be, they mail them out every year?? I believe this paper also shows how much you would receive if you became disabled.

Hope this helps as it is scary when you are trying to file for disability.

Good luck,
    Glenna