zometa and port?

CypressCynthia
CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am just getting zometa once a month, but can only use my right arm for infusions. My "good" vein is too scarred to use any more--getting stuck a few times before we can find a vein each month. I am thinking about asking for a port, but not sure it is a great idea for once a month--risks vs benefits. Anyone else just on zometa infusion with a port?

Comments

• Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    Zometa/Port
    I really can't answer your question because I receive other meds besides the monthly Zometa. What I can tell you is I love my port, it makes treatments so much easier! I've watched others struggle a few times as the nurses tried unsuccessfully to find a vein. I would think that since you only have one side to use, they would consider a port. If given the opportunity, go for it. Let us know. MM
  • bjmom1
    bjmom1 Member Posts: 152
    Good Question
    I am taking zometa and like u I only have one good arm. I am going to ask my doctor about getting a port. Because last week while I was in the hospital one of the nurse act like she could not find a good vein. And when she did it was difficult for them to do my blood pressure, because of were she put the IV at. I think a port make things much easier especially if the have to draw blood and do blood pressure in the same arm.

Barb
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    bjmom1 said:

Good Question
    I am taking zometa and like u I only have one good arm. I am going to ask my doctor about getting a port. Because last week while I was in the hospital one of the nurse act like she could not find a good vein. And when she did it was difficult for them to do my blood pressure, because of were she put the IV at. I think a port make things much easier especially if the have to draw blood and do blood pressure in the same arm.

Barb

My oncologist told my
    My oncologist told my husband that they would put one in whenever I felt like I needed one, but I have been putting it off. Some months are easier than others but when you get stuck 3 or more times, it is a big drag :-(

I didn't even think about all of the blood draws because my surgeon does let them draw blood from the "nodeless" arm; he just doesn't want me to have any injections or infusions in it.
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399

My oncologist told my
    My oncologist told my husband that they would put one in whenever I felt like I needed one, but I have been putting it off. Some months are easier than others but when you get stuck 3 or more times, it is a big drag :-(

I didn't even think about all of the blood draws because my surgeon does let them draw blood from the "nodeless" arm; he just doesn't want me to have any injections or infusions in it.

Port
    My port was installed initially for chemo, but that didn't happen. However, since I have to get Zometa once a month, it's a really good thing. During July I had 3 separate occasions when I needed either blood draws or contrast dye injected, and each time there was trouble getting into a vein. I also have only one "good arm". One nurse wanted to try the other arm, and wasn't exactly happy when I refused to allow it. I stood my ground. So, if my veins are not going to cooperate, I'm very glad to have the port. I hope all goes well for you, CypressCynthia. Getting the port installed involves some discomfort, and you are always aware that it's there. But in the long run, I think it's worth it. I guess different doctors have different opinions. Mine says no shots, no infusions, no BP amd no blood draws. Go figure. Hugs to you. Gracie
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Port
    My port was installed initially for chemo, but that didn't happen. However, since I have to get Zometa once a month, it's a really good thing. During July I had 3 separate occasions when I needed either blood draws or contrast dye injected, and each time there was trouble getting into a vein. I also have only one "good arm". One nurse wanted to try the other arm, and wasn't exactly happy when I refused to allow it. I stood my ground. So, if my veins are not going to cooperate, I'm very glad to have the port. I hope all goes well for you, CypressCynthia. Getting the port installed involves some discomfort, and you are always aware that it's there. But in the long run, I think it's worth it. I guess different doctors have different opinions. Mine says no shots, no infusions, no BP amd no blood draws. Go figure. Hugs to you. Gracie

I have two "bad" arms so no
    I have two "bad" arms so no choice there. You can have BP taken in the legs though. I will get zometa twice a year. so will get stuck.