DCIS and depression

Betsy13
Betsy13 Member Posts: 185
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had horrible side effects through radiation therapy. I was finished on 5/28 and am still having side effects. 2 weeks ago Monday, I was put back on bed-rest because the part that was radiated was painful. I am still having nausea, borderline migraines, shortness of breath, extreme fatigue and the pain is still there but no where near as bad as it was. I have no support. Whenever I ask my family, (husband and 2 teenagers) it always ends up in a fight so I do it myself or it doesn't get done. I am stressed out because things aren't getting done around here because I'm too tired yet I'm sick of the mess. Don't have extra money to hire my house cleaned and I sit and cry. How do I talk to my family to help them understand? When I was pregnant and on bedrest, my husband didn't have a problem helping out. During my radiation, work did not support me, had to have doctor's excuse to take a day off, (I'm a teacher), friends seem to have disappeared. The closest support group is a 45 minute drive from my house one way. Severely depressed and looking for ideas...yes, my rad. onc. knows...

Comments

• missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Hi Betsy
    So sorry you're still feeling the nasty after-effects of radiation therapy. I am currently doing rads and have 11 more to go out of 35.

I can't imagine what it's like to have such a lack of support from your family. I really don't know what to say except that you deserve so much more help than you're getting. You really have to take care of you right now. The heck with the house, laundry, etc. If the teens or your husband don't have clean clothes, well, I guess maybe they'll have to do a load or two of laundry. You certainly don't need this stress--possibly why it's taking you so long to get over the side effects of the radiation.

My prayers are with you to get the help and understanding that you need and deserve right now.

Hugs, Renee
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    missrenee said:

Hi Betsy
    So sorry you're still feeling the nasty after-effects of radiation therapy. I am currently doing rads and have 11 more to go out of 35.

I can't imagine what it's like to have such a lack of support from your family. I really don't know what to say except that you deserve so much more help than you're getting. You really have to take care of you right now. The heck with the house, laundry, etc. If the teens or your husband don't have clean clothes, well, I guess maybe they'll have to do a load or two of laundry. You certainly don't need this stress--possibly why it's taking you so long to get over the side effects of the radiation.

My prayers are with you to get the help and understanding that you need and deserve right now.

Hugs, Renee

Betsy .. I did go the radation route - I did endure
    chemo therapy. I am so sorry that the side efforts of radation are getting to ou. Please confer with your Oncologist -- Perhaps there are family members that can pitch in and help you right now.

There are so many wonder women on our site - some one here will be able to assist you.

Best of Luck,

Vicki Sam
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    VickiSam said:

chemo therapy. I am so sorry that the side efforts of radation are getting to ou. Please confer with your Oncologist -- Perhaps there are family members that can pitch in and help you right now.

There are so many wonder women on our site - some one here will be able to assist you.

Best of Luck,

Vicki Sam

Betsy
    I am really sorry that you do not have support. The good news that you find us -thais site. We completely understand your situation. I am surprised that your oncologist has not been helpful. Still ask for clinical social worker, who will navigate you to social services. When you are in treatment such as radiation you are entitled to be on medical leave and you should not feel guilty about it. Fatigue is a very common side effect of radiation and normal recovery period could last up to 12 months
    Ask your doctor for antidepressants, medication will be helpful And if your family is not interested in helping around the house it does not mean that you need to do everything for them. I am sorry, but let it go, they should see results and you need to take care of yourself.
    please stay in tough,
    Hugs,
    New Flower
  • Betsy13
    VickiSam said:

Best of Luck,

Vicki Sam

Vicki Sam
    Hi Vicki Sam,

Unfortunately, besides my husband and children, my family-in-law is not there. Haven't heard from any of them and they live in town. My own family is pretty much gone after I cared for my mother for 8 years with Alzheimer's and they couldn't handle it. My cousin is in town, but haven't heard from her. I've been in contact with my rad. onc. weely so she knows what is going on. Been in contact with social worker...there is no support for me within their organization. The closest support group is 45 minutes driving time from me. That's overwhelming to think about right now. My best friend lives 3 hours away from me so we have daily phone conversations. I am open to ideas...

Thanks for your thoughts,
    Betsy
  • Betsy13

Betsy
    I am really sorry that you do not have support. The good news that you find us -thais site. We completely understand your situation. I am surprised that your oncologist has not been helpful. Still ask for clinical social worker, who will navigate you to social services. When you are in treatment such as radiation you are entitled to be on medical leave and you should not feel guilty about it. Fatigue is a very common side effect of radiation and normal recovery period could last up to 12 months
    Ask your doctor for antidepressants, medication will be helpful And if your family is not interested in helping around the house it does not mean that you need to do everything for them. I am sorry, but let it go, they should see results and you need to take care of yourself.
    please stay in tough,
    Hugs,
    New Flower

New Flower
    Hi,

I'm glad I found this site, too. I am in touch weekly with my onc. and she knows exactly what is going on. Unfortunately, I have been in contact with the social worker and there is no support for me in this organization. The closest support group is 45 minutes away and that is overwhelming. I've let my house go since March...haven't heard from my family-in-law and they live in town. Don't know if you can see the answer I posted to Vicki Sam, but pretty much the same info. I know I am entitld to medical leave, but when your boss says that you can't take any more time off, you don't take any more time off. I'm a teacher and need my job and health insurance. Radiation is terrible because you don't look sick. No one can see the redness and they can't feel your fatigue. I'm tryiing to let it go. It is just so difficult.

Thank you for your support,
    Betsy
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Welcome, Betsy
    And I'm really sorry for all you are going through. I can understand the depression and exhaustion that comes from the side effects and the lack of support from your loved ones. I think you should take stock of everything right now. Make a list of all your symptoms -- what you feel, how much energy you have, as well as what you feel you are able to do around the house. Discuss these concerns with your medical team (I know you said you already have, but bring your list and ask for suggestions on how to tackle each complaint). Take notes on everything. Then call your family for a meeting. It doesn't have to be long, just give them the blow by blow of what's happening, how you are taking steps to deal with it, and what will happen from here on out. Tell them you are going through the side effects of a serious illness right now and that you need their help. Give them tasks that they will take over. Tell them you know you can pull together as a family and get through this. Be appreciative when they help out, but don't stress when they don't. As someone else pointed out, if they don't have clean clothes, they'll learn how to do laundry pretty quickly. Just be specific, non-punitive, and firm. I hope you can get the support you need to begin to heal.

Hugs

Mimi
  • Betsy13
    mimivac said:

Welcome, Betsy
    And I'm really sorry for all you are going through. I can understand the depression and exhaustion that comes from the side effects and the lack of support from your loved ones. I think you should take stock of everything right now. Make a list of all your symptoms -- what you feel, how much energy you have, as well as what you feel you are able to do around the house. Discuss these concerns with your medical team (I know you said you already have, but bring your list and ask for suggestions on how to tackle each complaint). Take notes on everything. Then call your family for a meeting. It doesn't have to be long, just give them the blow by blow of what's happening, how you are taking steps to deal with it, and what will happen from here on out. Tell them you are going through the side effects of a serious illness right now and that you need their help. Give them tasks that they will take over. Tell them you know you can pull together as a family and get through this. Be appreciative when they help out, but don't stress when they don't. As someone else pointed out, if they don't have clean clothes, they'll learn how to do laundry pretty quickly. Just be specific, non-punitive, and firm. I hope you can get the support you need to begin to heal.

Hugs

Mimi

Thanks, Mimi. I will do as
    Thanks, Mimi. I will do as you are suggesting. Betsy
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Betsy, I agree with Mimi's
    Betsy, I agree with Mimi's suggestions. Perhaps because you don't look sick, as you said, your family doesn't realize that you need their help. So, ask them for it. If "things" don't get done, don't worry about it. The important thing right now is for you to rest and recover from your treatments. We are here to help support you so please continue to come here. Take care of YOU!!
  • Pinkpower
    Pinkpower Member Posts: 437
    Betsy, so sorry to hear what
    Betsy, so sorry to hear what a hard time you are having with work and home. In my case I was lucky that my husband laid down the law as soon as I started chemo, plus I still had a full time job to go to everyday, excpet for the days I was too sick or tired, at work I did fill out Family Leave Act papers to protect my job. My 17yr old daughter has been assigned to wash the dishes every day plus clean the bathroom and the occational starting dinner when daddy is running late. My youngest who is 10 has to pick up after helself, and she dust and cleans around the house on saturdays. My husband took on sweeping and moping the floors, I take care of my own bathroom and we all pitch in with the laundry. For us, having assigned chores has worked. Sure hope we are able to provide some ideas that will make your life easier. Hang in there sister.
    Lupe
  • JustHope
    JustHope Member Posts: 3
    I'm here for you
    Hi Betsy,
    I cried when I read your email, thats not fair! I wish I could help you, but I too,have been diagnosed and waiting for my surgery and treatments that follow. You know your the second person that mentioned about friends disappearing, I'm have started writing a journal of this journey and makes me feel better to write, like I'm writing to God, and you know its feel good to get out my feelings out. I'm not looking forward to any of this. Please call the American Cancer Society, they may have someone that can come and help you.or just to even talk and vent is good! and shame on your fam members.
  • JustHope said:

I'm here for you
    Hi Betsy,
    I cried when I read your email, thats not fair! I wish I could help you, but I too,have been diagnosed and waiting for my surgery and treatments that follow. You know your the second person that mentioned about friends disappearing, I'm have started writing a journal of this journey and makes me feel better to write, like I'm writing to God, and you know its feel good to get out my feelings out. I'm not looking forward to any of this. Please call the American Cancer Society, they may have someone that can come and help you.or just to even talk and vent is good! and shame on your fam members.

Dearest Betsy,
    I too am a teacher, a widow, and the parent of a high school sophomore. I do understand your frustration.

Allow me to chime in, you are more aware of the state of your home than anyone else. Anyone that might come to see you could careless, and those that care about the finger prints on the walls near the switch plates have their priorities skewed. You need to think about you now the house can wait.

When I was diagnosed in late January and was off work 7 weeks I had the sick leave to cover it. I wrote lesson plans for the sub, went in on weekends to change bulletin boards, I even sent Valentines to my students at home. I don't know how your district works, but you may want to find out if you are eligible for disability while you go through this.

Also, what about neighbors or perhaps you belong to a church, many people are willing to lend a hand. It may impress upon your teens that mom is not milking it if outsiders come in. Someone mentioned contacting the ACS and asking about resources available to you. I also know that there are volunteer groups looking to assist as well.

You don't need the stress, you need to say something once and be heard. Speaking for myself this diagnosis knocked me off my game. I am eternally grateful for a couple of sister survivors that came along side me when I was first diagnosed they helped me when I felt stunned and dazed and empowered me. Assert yourself, and remember that you have this safe forum 24/7 in which you can retreat.

By the way, in the midst of my chemotherapy my principal told me I was going to have to pack up my classroom and move for his convenience. I told him that if I had to pack up my classroom I would be moving campuses and not across the blacktop. I didn't have to pack.

Hang in there.
  • Betsy13
    JustHope said:

I'm here for you
    Hi Betsy,

I contacted the American
    I contacted the American Cancer Society Reach for Recovery program at the very beginning of everything. They had a gal call me who had Stage 2 and chemo. I called her about my MRI. She called me back after I was done and she couldn't answer my questions and ended up as frustrated as I was. It wasn't worth it. I also contacted my local Susan G. Komen. I ended up in tears while talking with them. I guess, for some reason, I am just meant to go through this alone...except for the people on here...I am alone.
  • Betsy13

Dearest Betsy,
    I too am a teacher, a widow, and the parent of a high school sophomore. I do understand your frustration.

Allow me to chime in, you are more aware of the state of your home than anyone else. Anyone that might come to see you could careless, and those that care about the finger prints on the walls near the switch plates have their priorities skewed. You need to think about you now the house can wait.

When I was diagnosed in late January and was off work 7 weeks I had the sick leave to cover it. I wrote lesson plans for the sub, went in on weekends to change bulletin boards, I even sent Valentines to my students at home. I don't know how your district works, but you may want to find out if you are eligible for disability while you go through this.

Also, what about neighbors or perhaps you belong to a church, many people are willing to lend a hand. It may impress upon your teens that mom is not milking it if outsiders come in. Someone mentioned contacting the ACS and asking about resources available to you. I also know that there are volunteer groups looking to assist as well.

You don't need the stress, you need to say something once and be heard. Speaking for myself this diagnosis knocked me off my game. I am eternally grateful for a couple of sister survivors that came along side me when I was first diagnosed they helped me when I felt stunned and dazed and empowered me. Assert yourself, and remember that you have this safe forum 24/7 in which you can retreat.

By the way, in the midst of my chemotherapy my principal told me I was going to have to pack up my classroom and move for his convenience. I told him that if I had to pack up my classroom I would be moving campuses and not across the blacktop. I didn't have to pack.

Hang in there.

I am all alone. I have had
    I am all alone. I have had ONE person from work contact me this summer. No one has come to see me except the one person from work. She doesn't care. Church knows. There are no resources available to me. Believe me, I have checked. So, I am starting my own.

My principal told me I couldn't miss any more work because I had 14 days out of the classroom. 2 days were for surgery, 1/2 for surgeon appt. and 1 because I was actually sick. Everything else is because my principal made me go to the professional developments. Once I had cancer, she told me to do what I needed to do. Do you think I received mixed messages?

I did fill out FMLA paperwork. I missed 5 days. On all my leave forms, I wrote cancer, radiation therapy, doctor ordered. Pretty sad that I had to CMA (cover my a*%) like that. 2 more years and I am SO outta there. That gives me 5 years in an urban school teaching math/science and I will get $$$ off my student loan.

I agree, I need to say something once and be heard. Unfortunately, no one is listening. As I stated, I am alone.

Actually, thinking about getting a divorce when everything is said and done. Since I am so alone going through this, I may as well be alone. Maybe I can meet someone who WILL listen to me. I'm done.

I went to doc this past week and am on anti-depressants. All I've done for the past few days is sob. I am invisible. Yes, I am seeing a therapist. Not the one from the cancer center. One that I found. One from the cancer center didn't comprehend that I could not make a 3:15 appointment. After the 4th time, with my rad. onc. stepping in 3 times, I came to my rad. treatment sobbing. Thank goodness for my rad. tech. She's the only person who helped me through. Although, I do have to tell you that my rad. onc. was not very happy. She had a one-on-one conversation with the cancer center therapist before the 4th appt. was scheduled. When she found out what happened...I don't know...
  • Betsy13
    Pinkpower said:

Betsy, so sorry to hear what
    Betsy, so sorry to hear what a hard time you are having with work and home. In my case I was lucky that my husband laid down the law as soon as I started chemo, plus I still had a full time job to go to everyday, excpet for the days I was too sick or tired, at work I did fill out Family Leave Act papers to protect my job. My 17yr old daughter has been assigned to wash the dishes every day plus clean the bathroom and the occational starting dinner when daddy is running late. My youngest who is 10 has to pick up after helself, and she dust and cleans around the house on saturdays. My husband took on sweeping and moping the floors, I take care of my own bathroom and we all pitch in with the laundry. For us, having assigned chores has worked. Sure hope we are able to provide some ideas that will make your life easier. Hang in there sister.
    Lupe

It's nice that your husband
    It's nice that your husband is home to lay down the law. Mine is gone most of the time. I've always been "the enforcer". I am glad you have the support you have. Actually, I am really jealous.
  • Betsy13
    Betsy13 said:

Thanks, Mimi. I will do as
    Thanks, Mimi. I will do as you are suggesting. Betsy

I've spent a few days
    I've spent a few days sobbing my heart out. Had a family meeting the other night. Assigned tasks. My son will only get it done if I hound him. Husband is doing better. Daughter is the lifesaver. I just ignore it now. It is just not worth the stress. I figure when my son wants money, I'll get stuff done. Oh well, life goes on...
  • Betsy13
    Betsy13 said:

I am all alone. I have had
    I am all alone. I have had ONE person from work contact me this summer. No one has come to see me except the one person from work. She doesn't care. Church knows. There are no resources available to me. Believe me, I have checked. So, I am starting my own.

My principal told me I couldn't miss any more work because I had 14 days out of the classroom. 2 days were for surgery, 1/2 for surgeon appt. and 1 because I was actually sick. Everything else is because my principal made me go to the professional developments. Once I had cancer, she told me to do what I needed to do. Do you think I received mixed messages?

I did fill out FMLA paperwork. I missed 5 days. On all my leave forms, I wrote cancer, radiation therapy, doctor ordered. Pretty sad that I had to CMA (cover my a*%) like that. 2 more years and I am SO outta there. That gives me 5 years in an urban school teaching math/science and I will get $$$ off my student loan.

I agree, I need to say something once and be heard. Unfortunately, no one is listening. As I stated, I am alone.

Actually, thinking about getting a divorce when everything is said and done. Since I am so alone going through this, I may as well be alone. Maybe I can meet someone who WILL listen to me. I'm done.

I went to doc this past week and am on anti-depressants. All I've done for the past few days is sob. I am invisible. Yes, I am seeing a therapist. Not the one from the cancer center. One that I found. One from the cancer center didn't comprehend that I could not make a 3:15 appointment. After the 4th time, with my rad. onc. stepping in 3 times, I came to my rad. treatment sobbing. Thank goodness for my rad. tech. She's the only person who helped me through. Although, I do have to tell you that my rad. onc. was not very happy. She had a one-on-one conversation with the cancer center therapist before the 4th appt. was scheduled. When she found out what happened...I don't know...

Today is better.
    Ok. I woke up this morning with an attitude of gratefulness. Gratefulness to be alive. I now am faced with a choice. I am going to choose to be happy. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, I can do about my so-called friends and family. It is time for me to reach deep within myself, give it back to God, and get on with my life. Lay down when I'm tired, not worry about anything. God is in control. I need to remember that and stop taking it back from Him. Also remember, life is about choices. I am choosing to be happy.

I still don't know the results of my CT scan, but it is what it is. I am strong enough to do this. Yes, I am.

Thank you all for your support. Together, we can!