Sundance Update - Still in Hospital

Sundanceh
Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi Everyone!

I'm still in the hospital - the plans changed completely. DaVinci was cancelled and we ended up doing full blown thoracotomy due to the severity of the tumor. Pain I was having was real - tumor was 6cm (tangerine) and had grown into ribs and chest cavity.

Much has happened - I've had a couple of ribs removed and chest cavity scraped. Much to much to explain in email - I'm hurting real good, got a chest tube still in (10 days). Still hospitalized and will go home on oxygen. Working hard and making progress since 15th.

Saw an early copy of my path....Cancer - mets to the lung.

Treatment to follow after I can recover. Will have to meet with radiation onc and my surgical onc and gather more info to make a better, more informed decision.

No surprise - I am standing tall and will beat this back - gravel in my guts and spit in my eye, I'm going to hit back now, it's my turn. It hit me pretty good and all the pain the past few months and the surgery and all I've done here at the hospital have been a real beating, but I'm up to the challenge.

I saw briefly what has happened to Louann and Kimby and it saddens me to read and hear this news. Don't want to step on them in their time, but just wanted to let you know what's going on so you would not worry about me.

I will not be stopped - I will not give in - I'm still going to win this battle. Gotta get out of here and heal up some and make decision treatments and then get those - won't be easy but none of my journey has been.

I've been staying on top of nurses and docs here at the hospital - full time job. Very tired and hurting right now, so I'm going to go now.

Love you all and miss you all, very much. Haven't forgotten about your mags either - story and pics over to publisher now - end of August.

Gonna be off work for awhile - everyone pleased with the progress I've made since I got here to now - I'm a good patient.

Take care, Everyone!

-Craig

Comments

• CanadaSue
    CanadaSue Member Posts: 339 Member
    Was thinking about you today
    Craig glad you were able to post, and let us know how things are.

Keep that positive thinking up! Sorry to hear you are in so much pain still
    hope it subsides fast.

You are always in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs,

Sue
  • Patteee
    Patteee Member Posts: 945
    thanks for the update Craig!
    thanks for the update Craig! Here is hoping you get to go home soon and heal quickly!
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    keep fighting
    you are very strong and we aren't surprised to hear you doing so well. I sure hope the pain subsides soon and that you can come to terms with whatever treatment option you have in your future. Thanks for updating us and keep on those nurses!
    mary
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Hi, Craig!
    Oh, goodness. You just keep having so many things going on, Craig. I've been so anxious to know how you're doing, and it delights me that you were personally able to give us the update. That lets me know you're on the mend a bit from this horrendous surgery.

I hate your news, but I know you are a very strong fighter. If anybody can beat this thing, it will be YOU.

Love you, my friend. Praying for you!

*hugs*
    Gail
  • just4Brooks
    just4Brooks Member Posts: 980 Member
    Louann and Kimby and us others are PROUD OF YOU!!!
    I'm sure that Louann and Kimby would be so proud of you right now. It's so good to hear from you. Many of us have been thinking of you.

Hurry up and get better because we miss ya
    Brooks
  • Jaylo969
    Jaylo969 Member Posts: 824 Member

Louann and Kimby and us others are PROUD OF YOU!!!
    I'm sure that Louann and Kimby would be so proud of you right now. It's so good to hear from you. Many of us have been thinking of you.

Hurry up and get better because we miss ya
    Brooks

Dear Craig
    Thank you so much for letting us know how you are getting along. We miss you & love you and I for one KNOW that with the gravel in your guts and spit in your eye you will come through this challenge. You are a brave heart Craig.

Rest yourself up and stay on top of the nurses :)

Sparks, prayers, good vibes and all other good things being sent to & for you.

-Pat
  • luv3jay
    luv3jay Member Posts: 533 Member
    Craig I'm so sorry to hear
    Craig I'm so sorry to hear this turn of events. Please keep us informed and I will keep you in my prayers. I know you are in a lot of pain...remember I had almost the same surgery in February. Be strong!
    Sheri
  • christinecarl
    christinecarl Member Posts: 543 Member
    So good to hear from you
    I am hoping for a speedy recovery for you, thanks for updating us, we were all wondering and hoping you are ok. Fking cancer has met its match. I love your attitude, grit and determination. Truly inspiring. Stay strong Craig!
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Craig, You are the man!
    I am sorry you have been through so much but boy have you done it with strength and dignity! You are inspirational to me. Your thoughtfulness towards the forum is unbelievable; to not want us to worry about you - amazing you would even think of us with what you are going through. Once you are home you will see the incredible number of threads + posts wondering how you are doing. It sounds like you are totally ready for the next round + we will here for you as you are there for so many of us. Take good care, + please tell Kim that we are thinking of her too, + cheering both of you on.
  • amyb15
    amyb15 Member Posts: 109 Member

So good to hear from you
    I am hoping for a speedy recovery for you, thanks for updating us, we were all wondering and hoping you are ok. Fking cancer has met its match. I love your attitude, grit and determination. Truly inspiring. Stay strong Craig!

thanks for the update. I
    thanks for the update. I have been checking every day to see if you had posted. It sounds like you have somewhat of a plan aready, that is good. Pleased keep us updated and post when you can...You are missed when you are not here.

Amy
  • JDuke
    JDuke Member Posts: 438
    AnneCan said:

Craig, You are the man!
    I am sorry you have been through so much but boy have you done it with strength and dignity! You are inspirational to me. Your thoughtfulness towards the forum is unbelievable; to not want us to worry about you - amazing you would even think of us with what you are going through. Once you are home you will see the incredible number of threads + posts wondering how you are doing. It sounds like you are totally ready for the next round + we will here for you as you are there for so many of us. Take good care, + please tell Kim that we are thinking of her too, + cheering both of you on.

So glad to see
    your post. Sorry that things took an unexpected turn, but maintain that strength and fighting attitude! Know that you remain in my thoughts and prayers.
    Joanne
  • elizabethgd
    elizabethgd Member Posts: 145
    AnneCan said:

Craig, You are the man!

You are such an incredible person...
    Here is hoping you get home soon and your recovery is smooth..We are all thinking of you..And sending love and strength to you..
  • Aud
    Aud Member Posts: 479 Member
    Craig
    so good to hear from you! Thanks for writing and letting us know how you are doing. We've all been thinking about you. Holding you in the Light for strength, healing, and continued recovery from this surgery.
    ~Audrey
  • amcp
    amcp Member Posts: 251 Member
    Thankful
    So very thankful to hear from you and to hear the fight in your voice. Sorry for all the pain and all the problems but know that with your determination you can and will fight this monster. We are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers. Hoping that each day brings you closer to better health. You are truly an inspiration to me and to so many others. Your courage, drive, and spirit gives other the hope and courage to fight on also. Take care and know you are in our thoughts and prayers.
    Anna
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    I was holding my breath....
    Craig, thank you dearheart for the update!!!!!

I've said it many times before, but it bears repeating....You are a true inspiration!!!!

I am sending my warmest, biggest hugs!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • mommyof2kds
    mommyof2kds Member Posts: 519
    KathiM said:

I was holding my breath....
    Craig, thank you dearheart for the update!!!!!

I've said it many times before, but it bears repeating....You are a true inspiration!!!!

I am sending my warmest, biggest hugs!!!

Hugs, Kathi

Craig, hang in there, it
    Craig, hang in there, it will get better..
  • fedester
    fedester Member Posts: 753 Member
    craig
    yes it's your turn to rest.
    yes you will beat this back down, no doubt.
    keep up the great attitude, and know we are all here for you,
    be well
    never,ever give up!!
    bruce
  • Craig, hang in there, it
    Craig, hang in there, it will get better..

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • SandyL
    SandyL Member Posts: 218
    fedester said:

craig
    yes it's your turn to rest.
    yes you will beat this back down, no doubt.
    keep up the great attitude, and know we are all here for you,
    be well
    never,ever give up!!
    bruce

So glad to hear from you,
    and hear the fight still within! Sorry about the DaVinci thing, but glad the drs. seem to be on top of your situation. We all have been so concerned and wondering how you were doing, but at the same time realizing how painful that surgery was the last time for you. I am glad to hear from you and know that you are still "Sundance" and still have your wonderful attitude about this cancer. Thank you for letting us know and we will be fine now for awhile till you are able to post again. Keep the faith and continue on....and on...and on. We luv ya
    Sandy