Sometimes Just One Little Conversation Can Make Your Day!

missrenee
missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was checking out of my local grocery store today, actually feeling a little depressed, wondering about my future, getting tired of the treatments. My cashier was a young woman I've had many times over the years. She looked at my headscarf and my pink wrist band and said, "Breast cancer?" She took me by surprise--most people look but don't comment. I said, "Yes." She asked where I was in treatment and what stage I was and I told her I was stage 3, post-surgery, post-chemo and just had my 24th of 35 rad. treatments today. Then she said something that completely changed my mood. "I was stage 3 too, had surgery and chemo and that was 17 years ago! Don't give up--you'll get there just like I did." It was so wonderful to hear first hand from a 17-year survivor. I thanked her profusely for noticing me, telling me her story, and keeping my hope alive.

All you survivors out there--it is so great to hear your success stories--especially for those of us currently in treatment, trying to be strong and brave, but still nervous about the future. Linda, from Safeway, you made my day!

Renee

Comments

• bjmom1
    bjmom1 Member Posts: 152
    God little messager
    I believe that God always send a person in our life for a reason. Even if it just for a brief moment.

Barb
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    What a wonderful story! You
    What a wonderful story! You prob. are at a point in rads when it is getting really draining, but keep your chin up! I really had to force myself some of those days, but you will be so glad when it is over! The rads techs even let me come twice on the last day, so I could finish on a Friday! Hang in there! Hugs...
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Tux said:

What a wonderful story! You
    What a wonderful story! You prob. are at a point in rads when it is getting really draining, but keep your chin up! I really had to force myself some of those days, but you will be so glad when it is over! The rads techs even let me come twice on the last day, so I could finish on a Friday! Hang in there! Hugs...

That's just what I needed to
    That's just what I needed to hear right now. Thanks for sharing....
  • missrenee
    dyaneb123 said:

That's just what I needed to
    That's just what I needed to hear right now. Thanks for sharing....

You're Welcome!
    And thanks for the encouragement. We all need a boost every now and then.

Hugs, Renee
  • Scotch Freckles
    Scotch Freckles Member Posts: 273 Member
    missrenee said:

You're Welcome!
    And thanks for the encouragement. We all need a boost every now and then.

Hugs, Renee

Off the Subject a bit
    Is that a Viszula in your lap? I love Viszula's. My Viszula got me through the beginning of my problems. She was so great and I still miss her to this day. And yes, hearing a survivers story gives hope there is a window at the end of the tunnel to escape the beast. I am at 3 years post release from oncologists close watch and 8 years post surgery. Keep your attitude up and remind yourself that you don't have time for this.

Kathryn
  • missrenee

Off the Subject a bit
    Is that a Viszula in your lap? I love Viszula's. My Viszula got me through the beginning of my problems. She was so great and I still miss her to this day. And yes, hearing a survivers story gives hope there is a window at the end of the tunnel to escape the beast. I am at 3 years post release from oncologists close watch and 8 years post surgery. Keep your attitude up and remind yourself that you don't have time for this.

Kathryn

Hi Scotch--Yes, It's a Vizsla
    His name is Jake, he's 2 years old, full of energy, has a great sense of humor and is all about playtime! He is my nap partner in the afternoons on the sofa. However, he saves his energy up for when my husband comes home and they swim in the pool for at least an hour! Thanks for the encouragement--some days I need it. Good to hear you're at the wonderful stage that you are. I live for that time!

Hugs, Renee
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    missrenee said:

Hi Scotch--Yes, It's a Vizsla
    His name is Jake, he's 2 years old, full of energy, has a great sense of humor and is all about playtime! He is my nap partner in the afternoons on the sofa. However, he saves his energy up for when my husband comes home and they swim in the pool for at least an hour! Thanks for the encouragement--some days I need it. Good to hear you're at the wonderful stage that you are. I live for that time!

Hugs, Renee

When i didnt have hair, i had the cuttest white hat that had a pink breast cancer sign on it. I too was at the grocery (deli dept!!! haha) and when the lady handed me my lunchmeat, she sait from one survivor to another. I was like WOW! You never know, we each probably see one survivor everyday.

Take care
    Laura