Skin Sparing Masectomy

mema1963
mema1963 Member Posts: 18
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone had a skin sparing masectomy? i go in next Tuesday for surgery and woulkd like to know any info you may have on this type of surgery!

Comments

• Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    I had one
    Dear mema1963,

I had a skin-sparing masectomy on both sides. They did this kind on me b/c I opted for immediate reconstruction with tissue expanders. If I hadn't wanted reconstruction, they wouldn't have done the skin-sparing MX. My BS assured me that the rate of recurrence was the same with the skin-sparing vs. non-skin sparing.

Are you having reconstruction done?

Hope this helps,
    dh
  • mema1963
    mema1963 Member Posts: 18

I had one
    Dear mema1963,

I had a skin-sparing masectomy on both sides. They did this kind on me b/c I opted for immediate reconstruction with tissue expanders. If I hadn't wanted reconstruction, they wouldn't have done the skin-sparing MX. My BS assured me that the rate of recurrence was the same with the skin-sparing vs. non-skin sparing.

Are you having reconstruction done?

Hope this helps,
    dh

Yes i am having
    Yes i am having reconstruction done! Was it very painful and was the reconstruction easier?
  • Menda
    Menda Member Posts: 128
    mema1963 said:

Yes i am having
    Yes i am having reconstruction done! Was it very painful and was the reconstruction easier?

I had this done on both
    I had this done on both sides with immediate implants. I did not do expanders due to my size. I am 14 days post op. I am having a complication. It seems there is a very fine line between scrapping too much (loss is blood flow to retained skin) and not taking enough (leaving cancer cells). They may have removed too much in my case. The skin is not dying but it is not living. We are just at a wait and see what happens. My adviice is to talk to your doctors and follow your heart. Good luck.
  • alexlib_mom
    alexlib_mom Member Posts: 46
    I had this plus tram flap
    I had a skin sparing mastectomy on July 1 with immediate reconstruction. For me everything is going fine. It's interesting that they just left most of skin - cut out the nipple and just one single cut to the underarm. Then they filled up the breast skin with my belly fat. It's still swollen, but other than that looks good.

My understanding is that if I wasn't having immediate reconstruction, they wouldn't do the skin sparing mast.

Good luck!

Stephanie
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    mema1963 said:

Yes i am having

I only know my experience.
    I only know my experience. Yes, it was painful. They have to cut the pectoral muscle to place the tissue expanders.

The reconstruction wasn't easy but it really wasn't hard either, just unpleasant. They will fill your tissue expander's at the time they place them. How much depends on your skin. For me, they only filled it to 50'ccs. I had man boobs! ;) After surgery, you will go back approx. every two weeks to have your TE's filled with saline. Again, the amount depends on your skin, your frame and just how much you can handle. My largest fill was 60cc's, the smallest was 20cc's. But I'm on the low end. Most women can handle much bigger fills and are filled much bigger at the time of their surgery.

It's a long haul, even longer if you're going to have chemo and rads. For the chemo and rads girls it can take up to a year before they can have their TE's exchanged for implants.

It was a longer experience and more painful experience than I had anticipated, but one in which I absolutely have no regrets.
  • Bedee
    Bedee Member Posts: 24

I had this plus tram flap
    I had a skin sparing mastectomy on July 1 with immediate reconstruction. For me everything is going fine. It's interesting that they just left most of skin - cut out the nipple and just one single cut to the underarm. Then they filled up the breast skin with my belly fat. It's still swollen, but other than that looks good.

My understanding is that if I wasn't having immediate reconstruction, they wouldn't do the skin sparing mast.

Good luck!

Stephanie

flap question
    I've been following this board for some insight into DIEP flap surgery. I'm looking for experienced surgeons, preferably in the NW. I'm also wondering how painful the flap recovery is. I've heard it can be very painful.

any experience or suggestion are appreciated.

thanks
    bedee
  • rabbit1963
    rabbit1963 Member Posts: 6
    mema1963 said:

Yes i am having

YES IN 2006
    Hi I went through all this in 2006. I had a nipple sparing bilateral mastectomy. They removed the breast tissue and put in the temp expanders. The expanders weren't too bad, I was originally a B cup but I decided to go up one size. There was a little discomfort but not as bad as I feared. So I think keeping my own skin helped.
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    Bedee said:

flap question
    I've been following this board for some insight into DIEP flap surgery. I'm looking for experienced surgeons, preferably in the NW. I'm also wondering how painful the flap recovery is. I've heard it can be very painful.

any experience or suggestion are appreciated.

thanks
    bedee

Surgeons in the NW...
    Hi Bedee,

Where are you? I had my reconstruction done at the University of Chicago with Dr. David Song. He is one of the best reconstructive breast surgeons around! And has an awesome bedside manner. Don't know if you're close to Chicago, but if you are would definately check him out. I think all his info. is on their website.

I didn't have a DIEP flap though. I was going to have an SGAP, but due to complications we had to change the plan. I would have had an DIEP, but didn't have enough belly fat. So, I had a Lattisumus Dorssi Flap with an implant. It went well and I'm very happy with the outcome.

Good Luck! Keep me posted:)

Sally