If anyone kept their boy chest after a double mastectomy, give me your pros and cons

ejs51361
ejs51361 Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
If anyone kept their boy chest after a double mastectomy, give me your pros and cons. The risks for implants are scary. One of my concerns is the availability of clothes to hold forms. I see camis are available. I worry if I try to wear a bra, it will ride up with no breasts to anchor it.

Comments

• Balentine
    Balentine Member Posts: 393
    The choice is different for everyone
    I had a mastectomy on the right side in 1/10 and plan to do reconstruction next summer...that is if I don't chicken out of it. I have gone back and forth with it for awhile...mainly because I just don't want to go through the surgery, the drains, the incisions and then not having any feeling, just numbness, on my belly like I do under my right arm now that still hurts all the time.

As for the bras and camisoles....you can buy prosthetic bras that have pockets for your breast forms or prosthesis. I have worn these now since March and just yesterday decided to try to use my old bras instead because they are more comfortable. I put my prosthesis in a knee hi stocking and slipped it into my normal bra and it did not slip out all day. For me, it is just more comfortable and of course you can also use the breast forms without even using a stocking. Also, you can buy camisoles with a tube like pocket to put your breast forms in...I don't think I would try to put my prosthesis in there since it is weighted and may not hold as well. You have to find a good camisole that is supportive and it will work.

If I do go through with the reconstruction, I am getting a muscle sparing free tram flap. I hope this helps. Be blessed.
    Lorrie
  • sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    Balentine said:

The choice is different for everyone
    I had a mastectomy on the right side in 1/10 and plan to do reconstruction next summer...that is if I don't chicken out of it. I have gone back and forth with it for awhile...mainly because I just don't want to go through the surgery, the drains, the incisions and then not having any feeling, just numbness, on my belly like I do under my right arm now that still hurts all the time.

As for the bras and camisoles....you can buy prosthetic bras that have pockets for your breast forms or prosthesis. I have worn these now since March and just yesterday decided to try to use my old bras instead because they are more comfortable. I put my prosthesis in a knee hi stocking and slipped it into my normal bra and it did not slip out all day. For me, it is just more comfortable and of course you can also use the breast forms without even using a stocking. Also, you can buy camisoles with a tube like pocket to put your breast forms in...I don't think I would try to put my prosthesis in there since it is weighted and may not hold as well. You have to find a good camisole that is supportive and it will work.

If I do go through with the reconstruction, I am getting a muscle sparing free tram flap. I hope this helps. Be blessed.
    Lorrie

Boy chest for me
    As everyone will tell you it is a personal decision. I have had a double mastecomy May 26th. I am 54 and married with no children. I had really great boobs size C, not a bit of sag which I always attributed to not having children and wearing good bras. Even had a friend who was 30 make me go with her to the plastic surgeon (Iwas 52 at the time) so she could show him what she wanted her boobs to look like. LOL

The flap surgeries are just way to complicated, to many complications, and too many surgeries. I felt that taking musle from one part of my body to make a boob was not a good idea. The muscles are are where they should and need to be. I have heard of ladies getting repeated hernia from taking muscle from the stomach and having weakness in the arm where they took muscle from the shoulder. Also some have had the tissue die so all of that was for naught.

The expanders sounded too painful and I didn't like the idea of strecthing a muscle out. Implants have to be removed and replaced and though they have made great strides they can leak and have complications. Again didn't like the idea of having a nipple made and then getting a tatto. didn't like the idea of something foreign in my body

discussed all of this with my husband who before knowing what was all involved expected me to have reconstruction. Once he was educated he said it was my decision but he didn't really care for the options and my boobs were not that important.

As a general rule I go braless and I am amazed at how many people don't notice I don't have boobs. I am getting prosthesis next week and will wear them when I dress up. My Mom wears just one (8 year survivor) and she said she doesn't even notice it.
  • Balentine
    Balentine Member Posts: 393

Boy chest for me
    As everyone will tell you it is a personal decision. I have had a double mastecomy May 26th. I am 54 and married with no children. I had really great boobs size C, not a bit of sag which I always attributed to not having children and wearing good bras. Even had a friend who was 30 make me go with her to the plastic surgeon (Iwas 52 at the time) so she could show him what she wanted her boobs to look like. LOL

The flap surgeries are just way to complicated, to many complications, and too many surgeries. I felt that taking musle from one part of my body to make a boob was not a good idea. The muscles are are where they should and need to be. I have heard of ladies getting repeated hernia from taking muscle from the stomach and having weakness in the arm where they took muscle from the shoulder. Also some have had the tissue die so all of that was for naught.

The expanders sounded too painful and I didn't like the idea of strecthing a muscle out. Implants have to be removed and replaced and though they have made great strides they can leak and have complications. Again didn't like the idea of having a nipple made and then getting a tatto. didn't like the idea of something foreign in my body

discussed all of this with my husband who before knowing what was all involved expected me to have reconstruction. Once he was educated he said it was my decision but he didn't really care for the options and my boobs were not that important.

As a general rule I go braless and I am amazed at how many people don't notice I don't have boobs. I am getting prosthesis next week and will wear them when I dress up. My Mom wears just one (8 year survivor) and she said she doesn't even notice it.

Muscle sparing free tram flap does not use muscle
    My PS told me they only take skin and tummy fat and tissue with this one....not muscle.

For daily bible scripture encouragement and prayer during your journey through cancer,
    please meet me at the discussion board called ‘spirituality, prayer, and meditation’
    located toward the bottom of the discussion board listings under ‘other’ and be blessed!
    Lorrie
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    I've decided
    I've decided on no more surgery. I'm 61 and have had 11 surgeries in the past 4 years not counting bc. I went from 40DD to nothing. My old "girls" were soooo saggy and I'm just getting used to my camisole cotton perky ones. lol if I change my mind in the future my ps told me my only option is implants. I am not a candidate for either the tram flap or the abdominal one.
    Char
  • ejs51361
    ejs51361 Member Posts: 6

Boy chest for me

Thank you for your voice of
    Thank you for your voice of reason. You could have been me talking to myself only I wasn't listening to myself. A bit of vanity had stepped into the way.

I think it will be easier for me to accept a boy chest vs. wondering/worrying about the implants I would have "installed" and the complications that could arise.
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    cahjah75 said:

I've decided
    I've decided on no more surgery. I'm 61 and have had 11 surgeries in the past 4 years not counting bc. I went from 40DD to nothing. My old "girls" were soooo saggy and I'm just getting used to my camisole cotton perky ones. lol if I change my mind in the future my ps told me my only option is implants. I am not a candidate for either the tram flap or the abdominal one.
    Char

I had a simple, single mastectomy and chose
    not to do reconstruction. Enough surgery already (for me). The prosthetic boobs are terrific and feel real. Because you had a double, they will give you weighted ones but not as much as mine (it has to drape the same as my real one). The bras don't ride up because of the drape weight. Mastectomy bras have pockets. For the first time in my life I have a perfect fit. It makes a difference when a certified fitter is there. My insurance paid for it and bras too. I have a silicone one and then recently I just got a non-silicone one that has beads in it. It is much cooler in the summer and my ins will pay for two of those per year. They also have something new out thiat is silicone but it has these white thingys the size of almonds on the back side that keep you cool. I'm trying to lose some weight so I don't want to get that one til I'm sure it won't get too big as I lose weight.

I wouldn't change a thing (although I still could if I wanted to)...no more surgeries, drains, down time. If I were in my 30'se or 40's I'm still not sure if I would.

Good luck with your decision. You'll look beautiful in your clothes regardless. Make sure you go to a certified fitter. You can always change your mind.

Hugs, Judy :-)
  • czsteve
    czsteve Member Posts: 11
    my badge of honor so to speak......
    I had a double mastectomy in 2003, tried to go the implant route, developed painful infection and had them removed. I now go braless 90% of the time. I don't wear tight fitting clothes but I don't make a big deal out of my chest. Everyone I know, knows my situation and accepts me flat chested. If I have to go to something formal, I do have a bra that I wear to pretty up my dress.
  • Miss Murphy
    Miss Murphy Member Posts: 302
    Half a Boy!
    I agree with what everyone else says about their reasons not to reconstruct. I had a masectomy on one side and the prothesis feels pretty real. It's nice having a bra that actually fits - never had that before! However, I was 58 when dx and married for many years and my husband said it was my decision and that he was OK with what I decided.If I had been younger or if he had wanted me to have the surgery I may have made a different decision altho I don't think so. We are all different in our decisions and that's what makes us special! Good luck as you make your decision and it can be later rather than sooner too.

Hugs, Sally
  • MNLynn
    MNLynn Member Posts: 224
    My surgeon did a
    My surgeon did a skin-sparing mastectomy for me (right boob), because I told him that I may want to do reconstruction in the future (I just wanted to keep it as an option). I still have not had him set up an appt with a plastic surgeon for me to discuss reconstruction, and I'm thinking that that may never happen. I don't know that I want to go through all that. At first, I was quite self-conscious about wearing a prosthesis, but I am getting pretty comfortable with it already (had mastectomy in Feb 2010). My husband is just fine with my new figure . . . and it really doesn't bother me.

About the prosthesis that Judy mentioned above - with the "almond-like" things on the back . . . I have a prosthesis like that, and it didn't really feel that good when my chest was still sore after surgery. Now - 5 mos. or so after surgery, it doesn't bother me at all - and I do like it. I'm not really sure I notice much difference in "coolness", though, between that one and a regular one. I'm interested in the one she mentioned with beads in it . . . I may have to check that out!

Good luck!

♥ Lynn ♥
  • lillith
    lillith Member Posts: 29
    no reconstruction less painful
    My friend said one of her favorite people, her Physician's Assistant, had a double mastectomy with no reconstruction. She said she just looked like a regular woman with a flat chest, no big deal. I think it may be less painful to not have "reconstruction". For me, it was a bit too painful - those tissue expanders can be murder - but I am continuing on this road to see if the implant will eventually be more tolerable than the tissue expander was.
  • Tux
    Tux Member Posts: 544
    lillith said:

no reconstruction less painful
    My friend said one of her favorite people, her Physician's Assistant, had a double mastectomy with no reconstruction. She said she just looked like a regular woman with a flat chest, no big deal. I think it may be less painful to not have "reconstruction". For me, it was a bit too painful - those tissue expanders can be murder - but I am continuing on this road to see if the implant will eventually be more tolerable than the tissue expander was.

A friend of mine from church
    A friend of mine from church opted for no reconstruction & is very happy with her choice.
    I do think age might be a factor--she is in her 60's. I had a lumpectomy, but I would not have had reconstruction if I had a mastectomy. (I am also in my 60's). I think it is up to each person & her own personal situation.
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    Tux said:

A friend of mine from church
    A friend of mine from church opted for no reconstruction & is very happy with her choice.
    I do think age might be a factor--she is in her 60's. I had a lumpectomy, but I would not have had reconstruction if I had a mastectomy. (I am also in my 60's). I think it is up to each person & her own personal situation.

Hi MNLynn!
    You can look up the beaded prothesis at www.jillianna.com It's full of a springy fiber fill, massaging beads and soft tissue-like beads. It has a cotton backing. Mine is weighted so it drapes just like my real boob. I have to wash it by hand and then it takes several hours to dry with a fan turned on it. It is lighter weight, but my silicone boob is 2 sizes larger (I lost 30 lb during chemo-yay!) so that could be a factor too. My boob line in clothes looks natural, in fact I think it looks better now than when I had both boobs cause of the great fitting bras (for the first time).

Let me know what you think. If your ins. doesn't cover it the cost is $200 at least thru my shop. I don't know if you can buy online cheaper. But I think it's best to get fitted the first time anyway.

• MNLynn
    MNLynn Member Posts: 224
    Skeezie said:

Hi MNLynn!
    You can look up the beaded prothesis at www.jillianna.com It's full of a springy fiber fill, massaging beads and soft tissue-like beads. It has a cotton backing. Mine is weighted so it drapes just like my real boob. I have to wash it by hand and then it takes several hours to dry with a fan turned on it. It is lighter weight, but my silicone boob is 2 sizes larger (I lost 30 lb during chemo-yay!) so that could be a factor too. My boob line in clothes looks natural, in fact I think it looks better now than when I had both boobs cause of the great fitting bras (for the first time).

Let me know what you think. If your ins. doesn't cover it the cost is $200 at least thru my shop. I don't know if you can buy online cheaper. But I think it's best to get fitted the first time anyway.

Thanks!
    THanks for the info on that, Judy . . . I'll go on that website and check it out!

I'm always checking out my "boob line" :) - althought I'm doing it less as I'm getting used to wearing the fake boob. My husband & daughter just laugh at me if they see me checking myself out in the mirror - but, hey, I work at an engineering firm with mostly guys, so I just want to make sure everything's even!

Hope you have a good day!! Thanks, again.

♥ Lynn ♥
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    ejs51361 said:

Thank you for your voice of
    Thank you for your voice of reason. You could have been me talking to myself only I wasn't listening to myself. A bit of vanity had stepped into the way.

I think it will be easier for me to accept a boy chest vs. wondering/worrying about the implants I would have "installed" and the complications that could arise.

I had a lumpectomy ejs, so,
    I had a lumpectomy ejs, so, I can't really respond to your questions.

This is such a personal choice. I know you will do what is best for you.