Am I crazy to like steroids?

Snowkitty
Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I take them twice a day before & after chemo. They really ramp me up and I can get twice as much done in half the time. Plus I tell my hubby and the guys at work that they have to be careful cause I might get 'roid rage on them...and I would get off scott free. They're walking on tiptoes. Yeah!

Cindy

Comments

• Pinkpower
    Pinkpower Member Posts: 437
    Hey, whatever helps us get
    Hey, whatever helps us get thru this! lol
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Pinkpower said:

Hey, whatever helps us get
    Hey, whatever helps us get thru this! lol

Ya the stuff is good for
    Ya the stuff is good for that, just remember they will take it away one day. lol
  • GayleMc
    GayleMc Member Posts: 311 Member
    Kat11 said:

Ya the stuff is good for
    Ya the stuff is good for that, just remember they will take it away one day. lol

Hurray for you. You are
    Hurray for you. You are using the situation to your advantage and with humor. I couldn't tolerate the steroids very well when I was going thru chemo. I wish I had just gone with it like you are. Take care.
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    GayleMc said:

Hurray for you. You are
    Hurray for you. You are using the situation to your advantage and with humor. I couldn't tolerate the steroids very well when I was going thru chemo. I wish I had just gone with it like you are. Take care.

We might as well enjoy them!
    Cindy,

If we gotta take them, we might as well enjoy them!

I had what my oncologist says is an atypical reaction to the steroids -- they made me stoned. I mean like "Duuuuude, look at the pretty colors" stoned. Like I tried to make phone calls using my TV remote control stoned.

I'll be honest -- it was kind of fun! But my girlfriend was hoping for the more typical "ramped up" thing you're getting -- she kept saying the house needed painting!

:-) Traci
  • TraciInLA said:

We might as well enjoy them!
    Cindy,

If we gotta take them, we might as well enjoy them!

I had what my oncologist says is an atypical reaction to the steroids -- they made me stoned. I mean like "Duuuuude, look at the pretty colors" stoned. Like I tried to make phone calls using my TV remote control stoned.

I'll be honest -- it was kind of fun! But my girlfriend was hoping for the more typical "ramped up" thing you're getting -- she kept saying the house needed painting!

:-) Traci

Loved the steroids, hated the crash and burn
    ..to be quite frank, after my first 2 chemos I thought you all whined and moaned too much about fatigue and were out of your ever loving minds. I mean I went to feed the dog one day and spent several hours power washing the patio furniture! Oh, and it made me a tad aggressive too, so I apologize now for the unflattering generalizations I may have uttered.

The steroids had me quite wired too, and unfortunately there was insomnia to go along with it. I talked with my chemos nurses about how to avoid the burn out and I took to getting up at my regular time for pill one and taking my second dose a wee bit earlier so that I might get to sleep and possibly function normally. Over the counter Benadryl was also suggested by the oncologist as it was given to avoid a reaction when I first started chemo.
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Snowkitty
    I loved them too. This is a funny post for me because no one knew what I meant. I felt like I was 25 again in terms of energy! My family would look at me funny, like Mom's lost it, when I said I love steroids.
    But of course, with all good things, they have to be in moderation ( darn it ) because the bad side effects will eventually come.
    Thanks for this post....friend in steroid! LOL
    Wanda
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

Snowkitty
    I loved them too. This is a funny post for me because no one knew what I meant. I felt like I was 25 again in terms of energy! My family would look at me funny, like Mom's lost it, when I said I love steroids.
    But of course, with all good things, they have to be in moderation ( darn it ) because the bad side effects will eventually come.
    Thanks for this post....friend in steroid! LOL
    Wanda

How funny that we all had the same reaction ...
    Good time to clean our homes, cars and kids .. but the crash and burn afterwards - was hard on me. Come to think of it, I did sweat alot while on my steroid high ..

Thanks for the update .. Good times, great memories - of a clean house.

Vicki Sam
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Hey, you gotta take what you can get from this
    So, go ahead and enjoy those roids, Cindy. Why not? If anything positive can come from the multiple side effects we face, we might as well enjoy it and get some work done! They didn't affect me very much either way, except the very first time I took one the night before my first infusion. My husband and I went out to dinner and wow, I talked and talked all night. You would have thought I was going on a great vacation the next day rather than starting chemo. I was so hyped.

Traci, LOL! I would have loved to know your impressions of things while you were on steroids!

Mimi
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Steroid
    I never had steroids for chemo but did have them off and on for many years for autoimmune aphthous stomatitis (>40 mouth ulcers). Finally figured out on my own that using listerine multiple times a day (I now have the freshest breath in town ;-) prevents me from getting them at all.

Anyway, about steroids--I loved the energy but had a very hard time sleeping on them and, eventually, that was tough. Also, as everyone else has mentioned, the crash and burn.

But enjoy the extra energy for awhile and use it wisely! Watch out for shopping marathons ;-)