Free Tram Flap vs implant

lou26573
lou26573 Member Posts: 9
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
BRCA1 positive with DCIS recently found in left breast. Plan to have mastectomy but biggest decision is which reconstruction to do, please tell me your experience with either the implant or the free tram flap. The DIEP procedure is not available in my area.

Comments

• Balentine
    Balentine Member Posts: 393
    I plan to do tram flap
    I cannot talk from experience but I plan to do tram flap. It is your choice. I know I chose tram flap because I wanted to use my own body tissue and did not want to worry about having the implants replaced or having a foreign object in my body. I also did not want to go through the expander stage....I just wanted to go into surgery once and be pretty much done except for the nipples...you have to go back to do that with either surgery.

For help through bible scripture and prayer, meet me at the Spirituality, prayer and meditation board at the bottom of the discussion boards link under 'other'. Be blessed.
    Lorrie
  • lou26573
    lou26573 Member Posts: 9
    Balentine said:

I plan to do tram flap
    I cannot talk from experience but I plan to do tram flap. It is your choice. I know I chose tram flap because I wanted to use my own body tissue and did not want to worry about having the implants replaced or having a foreign object in my body. I also did not want to go through the expander stage....I just wanted to go into surgery once and be pretty much done except for the nipples...you have to go back to do that with either surgery.

For help through bible scripture and prayer, meet me at the Spirituality, prayer and meditation board at the bottom of the discussion boards link under 'other'. Be blessed.
    Lorrie

Thanks Lorrie, that was high
    Thanks Lorrie, that was high on my list and then I started worrying about my muscle loss, do you have a scheduled date yet?
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    I had the Tram Flap. I was
    I had the Tram Flap. I was suppose to have the (oh crap, brain fart, can't think of the name) procedure where they use all your own tissue taken from your butt and build a breast, but when I was on the OR table and he went in he realized the artery that he was going to use for the blood supply was clamped off!! They aborted the surgery (after they chopped of my boob) and I went back two weeks later to get the tram done.

I haven't had any major issues. I was worried too about losing strength on that side, but I can't notice anything. So if I did it's MINIMAL! I will say the incision sight is a little tender, but I don't know if it's due to scar tissue or effects of radiation on that whole rib area that was done. I'm very happy with the results. One kinda weird thing...sometimes when I'm lifting weights or using my back and arms alot I'll get what I call a "boob cramp"! LOL. The muscle that's suppose to be on your back is now on your front and sometime is cramps up and twitches! LOL. It's a little uncomfortable, but goes away in a matter of seconds! It doesn't happen that often, only when I'm really exterting myself. LOL.

Sally
  • Balentine
    Balentine Member Posts: 393
    sal314 said:

I had the Tram Flap. I was suppose to have the (oh crap, brain fart, can't think of the name) procedure where they use all your own tissue taken from your butt and build a breast, but when I was on the OR table and he went in he realized the artery that he was going to use for the blood supply was clamped off!! They aborted the surgery (after they chopped of my boob) and I went back two weeks later to get the tram done.

I haven't had any major issues. I was worried too about losing strength on that side, but I can't notice anything. So if I did it's MINIMAL! I will say the incision sight is a little tender, but I don't know if it's due to scar tissue or effects of radiation on that whole rib area that was done. I'm very happy with the results. One kinda weird thing...sometimes when I'm lifting weights or using my back and arms alot I'll get what I call a "boob cramp"! LOL. The muscle that's suppose to be on your back is now on your front and sometime is cramps up and twitches! LOL. It's a little uncomfortable, but goes away in a matter of seconds! It doesn't happen that often, only when I'm really exterting myself. LOL.

Sally

I don't have a date
    yet since it won't be until next summer but I hope to have it done then if all else goes well with me this year. You can do some research on the internet or get a pamphlet of all the different types of reconstruction from your plastic surgeon...that can help you make a decision but normally after the plastic surgeon examines you, he will recommend which types he thinks will work best for you also.

For daily bible scripture encouragement and prayer during your journey through cancer,
    please meet me at the discussion board called ‘spirituality, prayer, and meditation’
    located toward the bottom of the discussion board listings under ‘other’ and be blessed!
    Lorrie
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    Balentine said:

I don't have a date
    yet since it won't be until next summer but I hope to have it done then if all else goes well with me this year. You can do some research on the internet or get a pamphlet of all the different types of reconstruction from your plastic surgeon...that can help you make a decision but normally after the plastic surgeon examines you, he will recommend which types he thinks will work best for you also.

For daily bible scripture encouragement and prayer during your journey through cancer,
    please meet me at the discussion board called ‘spirituality, prayer, and meditation’
    located toward the bottom of the discussion board listings under ‘other’ and be blessed!
    Lorrie

I had one breast

I had one breast reconstructed using the free TRAM flap and the other using DIEP. They are similar and I don't notice much difference. It was a real blessing for me to wake up from my mastectomy with breasts, so this was a good surgery for me. (Although, I really didn't have a lot of choice because I'd had radiation and my surgeon did not recommend the implants because of the radiation).

Joyce
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    sal314 said:

Sally

CORRECTION...I"M SUCH AN AIR HEAD...
    Ok! I'm TOTALLY embarrassed! Some of you asked about reconstruction and said that I had a TRAM flap!! NOT the case. I was going back and forth between the TRAM and the LAT Muscle Flap. I couldn't get the TRAM because I didn't have enough fat in my stomach. SO...I did (really) get a LAT Flap with an implant.

Ugh. See...for all you "newbies" there will come a day where you will start to forget certain things, things you swore you would "never forget in my life"! I had to look up how big my tumor was the other day because I couldn't remember! LOL.

Or...you can just blame it on Chemo Brain!! Yeah, that's what I will do! I've milked that for all it's worth!! :)

Sorry for all the confussion. I'm sure my post didn't make sense about my back muscle hurting and I'm suppose to be talking about a TRAM flap!!:) What a dunce I am!!

Sally
  • ecom1479
    ecom1479 Member Posts: 3
    tram flap
    i had this one done the tummy tuck is a nice bonus. plus nothing foregn in the body witch is a real plus for me. i keep getting mrsa. so it was the best way for me. the spacer they use had gotten infected. i had to wait a yr for reconstrution but it was well worth it and mind you i am a dd.