Breast implants

ejs51361
ejs51361 Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I will be undergoing bilateral mastectomy in a few weeks. My only option for reconstruction is breast implants. What are the pros and cons you have experienced? I have the information from a clinical point of view, but I would like actual life experiences.

One of my biggest concerns if I choose to not have the implants is that by wearing a bra with external prosthetic, that the bra would ride up since I would have no breasts to keep it anchored. My sister experienced that and she had only one breast removed. She also noted that she has tried the adhesive to keep things in place, but when she got sweaty, it didn't work well.

Comments

• kthomasamg
    kthomasamg Member Posts: 4
    breast implants
    I'm only 2 weeks post op with my implants but I love them - other than I wish I had gone a little bigger! The expanders are a little annoying just because they are hard as a rock and get in the way, but they aren't painful. The replacement surgery is a piece of cake. I took a pain pill the next day but nothing after that. I took two days (plus the week-end) off work but spent those shopping and seeing movies! I thought the hardest thing about it all was deciding on a size. I felt huge in my expanders (450cc's) but my implants are 500cc's and I feel like I am a little smaller than where I started. Good luck with your decision. Initially I had decided not to do the reconstruction but had some of the same concerns you are having.
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member

breast implants
    I'm only 2 weeks post op with my implants but I love them - other than I wish I had gone a little bigger! The expanders are a little annoying just because they are hard as a rock and get in the way, but they aren't painful. The replacement surgery is a piece of cake. I took a pain pill the next day but nothing after that. I took two days (plus the week-end) off work but spent those shopping and seeing movies! I thought the hardest thing about it all was deciding on a size. I felt huge in my expanders (450cc's) but my implants are 500cc's and I feel like I am a little smaller than where I started. Good luck with your decision. Initially I had decided not to do the reconstruction but had some of the same concerns you are having.

I had reconstruction on one
    I had reconstruction on one breast about 4 years ago. I'm so glad I went through with it! I wish I didn't wait so long! Before I had the surgery I bought one of those special bras with a pouch that you could put a prosthesis in. That worked ok, but the bras are ugly and in the summer it got really hot and was just annoying! I feel much better about my body image and the implant looks really good. But I do have scars, so remember that. You will have some scaring. Each person heals differently. Mine have faded somewhat, but you can still see them. Sometimes they can lazer the scar to get the red out if it's really bad. IMO, I'd much rather have scars and have the look and feel of breasts again:)

Good luck.

Sally
  • youngnana
    youngnana Member Posts: 41
    Hello, and welcome
    I'm so sorry for the reason you are here, but so glad you searched us out, and were brave to post. I was diagnosed February 23rd, grade 1, stage 1, right side and opted for bi-lateral mastecromy March 16th. I also chose immediate reconstruction with expanders. I completed the fills, and had my replacement surgery to silicone implants 2 weeks ago. I am so happy with my new girls. They look like they did when I was younger (50 now). I told my PC, that since I had to have this, He may as well make them beautiful. The surgeries were much better than I had expected, and really not too painful. The breast area is completly numb so there is no surgery pain, just the muscle pain due to the expanders. My fills were 60cc each week, I ended at 600cc, and my implants are 500cc, about a b-c cup. Definatly not a difficult thing, and have never regretted it. I will return in October for nipples, and in November for tattooing. I can say, its really great not to have to wear a bra!
    good luck,
    Karen
  • Sally5
    Sally5 Member Posts: 87

breast implants

implants
    kthomasamg...

Thanks for mentioning that you had 450 cc and then 500 cc. I still have time before I switch my expanders.
    I, too, feel huge... I don't want to be bigger than I was (before breast cancer).

I was told to expand more but I will get smaller after surgery. ??

Thanks for your info.
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    I just got my silicone
    I just got my silicone implants in less than a week ago and i really like them.
    My expanders were 450 cc and my implants are 410 cc. Which i guess is a small C cup.
    I only wish they were just a little bigger...not much...but a little bit. Other than that no complaints yet.
    I was always planning on getting nipple reconstruction but now i dont know cuz my doc wants to do the skin graph then tattoo, but im thinkin i may just get the 3D tat and never have to wear a bra again!
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    jo jo said:

I just got my silicone
    I just got my silicone implants in less than a week ago and i really like them.
    My expanders were 450 cc and my implants are 410 cc. Which i guess is a small C cup.
    I only wish they were just a little bigger...not much...but a little bit. Other than that no complaints yet.
    I was always planning on getting nipple reconstruction but now i dont know cuz my doc wants to do the skin graph then tattoo, but im thinkin i may just get the 3D tat and never have to wear a bra again!

jojo-
    JoJo - I'm impatient by nature and now that you got your implants I want mine too! lol. how long was it from the time they put the expanders in until you got your silicone implants?
    I also really like the idea of never having to wear a bra again! Nice! I guess that's our reward for having to go through all this BS crap, huh?
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175

jojo-
    JoJo - I'm impatient by nature and now that you got your implants I want mine too! lol. how long was it from the time they put the expanders in until you got your silicone implants?
    I also really like the idea of never having to wear a bra again! Nice! I guess that's our reward for having to go through all this BS crap, huh?
    *hugs*
    Heather

Heather
    Its hard being patient during this process even for a patient person.
    I had my expanders put in during my mastectomy 3 days before Thanksgiving 09. Then i had to do chemo before anymore surgeries...I finished chemo at the end of April and getting my fills during that time also...and as you know i just had the implants put in last week...so roughly 8 months. But i didnt have rads, which i dont know if that makes a difference in the wait time and i dont remember if you said you had to have rads or not. Oh and my doc told me that you cant have the surgery no sooner than a month after chemo some doctors say longer than a month.

Heck ya the idea of going braless gets more appealing every day vs having skin graphs...why go through that...but im still undecided...maybe if theres a better way i may reconcider...I dont know?
  • Menda
    Menda Member Posts: 128
    jo jo said:

Heather
    Its hard being patient during this process even for a patient person.
    I had my expanders put in during my mastectomy 3 days before Thanksgiving 09. Then i had to do chemo before anymore surgeries...I finished chemo at the end of April and getting my fills during that time also...and as you know i just had the implants put in last week...so roughly 8 months. But i didnt have rads, which i dont know if that makes a difference in the wait time and i dont remember if you said you had to have rads or not. Oh and my doc told me that you cant have the surgery no sooner than a month after chemo some doctors say longer than a month.

Heck ya the idea of going braless gets more appealing every day vs having skin graphs...why go through that...but im still undecided...maybe if theres a better way i may reconcider...I dont know?

Just implants no expanders
    I am 14 days post surgery. I have silicone implants , did not do expanders. I am very, very petite. It won't take much for me to fall over. I also wanted this done and overwith. I am having some surgical complications and meeting with the doctor on Thursday. I still feel like it was the best decision for me. Take care
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    Menda said:

Just implants no expanders
    I am 14 days post surgery. I have silicone implants , did not do expanders. I am very, very petite. It won't take much for me to fall over. I also wanted this done and overwith. I am having some surgical complications and meeting with the doctor on Thursday. I still feel like it was the best decision for me. Take care

What is your lifestyle?
    My husband helped me make the decision for an implant (just one side involved). He said, "I know how active our lives are, and I don't think you will want to mess around with a prosthesis". He reminded me that while swimming, I would get frustrated with something I had to be mindful of, or adjust in my clothing. So, think about those things. Ask someone close to you who knows you. Go and see what prosthetics are like, and if they would work for you. There are different ones to choose from. And many ladies here will share their experiences. Good luck on your journey.
    Melanie