First pedicure in more than 7 months .. Wow, I feel wonderful and like a Woman, again!

VickiSam
VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Yes, it's me .. Icky Vicki again .. I can not contain myself .. I went out and had my first pedi in more than 7 months .. not because of low white blood counts, or fatigue, but because I lost 3 toe nails due to taxol and taxotere.

I guess my feet and toes were gross .. I got the sneaky feeling the girls at the nail spa were talking about the condition of my feet .. and I wanted to scream ...'HEY, I'm been fighting breast cancer for 10 months', and the drugs have taken a toll on my body and feet - but found myself sitting silently in my spa chair. I didn't waste my breathe - culture differnces, and language barrier. I sat in silence, enjoying my pedi .. I even paid for an extra 15 min of massage treatments. One of the girls asked me about my bracelet .. Pink Swarorski crystal - (my husband and daughter purchased for me) - and I said I wear it to honor the fact that I am fighting breast cancer. Everyone in the Salon looked right at me, funny how 2 words 'breast cancer' .. is translated to any language. I walked out proud .. sporting my 'street walker red' toe nails, and pink bracelet.

I am still unable to wear my sneakers .. so my daily walks are limited to 1/4 mile .. via flip flops. Hope to start sporting my nikes, by middle of next month. Ahhhhhh normalcy is within my grasp.

Vicki Sam .. sporting her street walker red toes ...!!!! LOVE it ...

Comments

• sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    I LOVE it, too!
    Hooray, for Vicki Sam. One small step for womankind.... with streetwalker red toenails!

Sue
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    If you have not seen it, I
    If you have not seen it, I HIGHLY recommend you go to YouTube and type in Anjela Johnson Nail Salon~ it is soooo flippin hilarious!

I love, love, love pedicures~ ahhhhhhhhhh! So glad you went and had one, I needn't tell you how much you deserve it! YAY

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    woo hoo!
    you walk that 1/4 mi with those street walker red toe nails in your flip-flops with you held high, girl! That's awesome! :))

I've been living with my cousin since my surgery and her teenager daughter said the other day, "I'm bored." I looked right at her and said, "You know what I've give right now to be bored?"

Bored and normal ... won't that be nice?

Don't run into any trees or cars while you're staring at those red toe nails, OK? LOL!! :)

Much Love,
    dh
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Icky Vicki....This post just
    Icky Vicki....This post just made me laugh...I think i scared my other half cuz he was sleeping and i just busted up laughin....ooops! hehe! Guess i have to learn to laugh without making a noise but then again thats called a smile...so ill just smile right now...shhhh!
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Icky Vicky
    Loved reading about your pedi. I could just see it in my mind and had to laugh too. Good for you! I didn't lose any of my nails but they are heavily painted to cover their lovely brown tinge.
  • Menda
    Menda Member Posts: 128
    laurissa said:

Icky Vicky
    Loved reading about your pedi. I could just see it in my mind and had to laugh too. Good for you! I didn't lose any of my nails but they are heavily painted to cover their lovely brown tinge.

Proud of you for doing that
    Proud of you for doing that for yourself. I had on the day before surgery. My toes are neon pink.
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    I love pedicures!!!!
    VickiSam, lucky you. I normally get them regularly in the summer. However, they really discouraged me during my chemo treatments and can't wait until I can get them again. When I am finished my treatments, I think I am going to treat myself to a day at the spa, with the works! Facial, pedicure, manicure, massage. At least I'll save a little money and not get my hair done, since I probably won't have any! Hugs, :>) Jean
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    I'm smiling, too!!
    Vicki, I am soooo happy to read that YOU are FINALLY geting some normalcy back into your life. You have certainly had a rough time through treatments and you so deserve some "normal". Now, be careful walking in those flip flops.....you don't want to stub those beautiful new red toes. Enjoy!!
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

I'm smiling, too!!
    Vicki, I am soooo happy to read that YOU are FINALLY geting some normalcy back into your life. You have certainly had a rough time through treatments and you so deserve some "normal". Now, be careful walking in those flip flops.....you don't want to stub those beautiful new red toes. Enjoy!!

VickiSam..You are wonderful
    VickiSam..You are wonderful and you are a woman! With or without your pedicure!

But, I am so happy that you got one. I can hear your happiness thru my screen! lol

Sue :)
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    You go, girl!
    I'm so glad you got that relaxing pedicure. My feet aren't looking that great right now either, but I'll be taking these dogs over to my salon tomorrow for the same. I love the idea of your pink swarorski crystal bracelet. I'm toying with the idea of requesting a really nice piece of jewelry for my 5-year cancerversay. I know, I like to think ahead. You keep pampering yourself and making yourself feel like the awesome woman you are.

Mimi
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Good for you!
    Good for your feet, too! A fun step (no pun intended - tee hee) towards Life After Cancer!

Kind regards, Susan
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991

Good for you!
    Good for your feet, too! A fun step (no pun intended - tee hee) towards Life After Cancer!

Kind regards, Susan

That is great Vicki Sam! I
    That is great Vicki Sam! I bet they look great too!

Hugs, Angie
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Angie2U said:

That is great Vicki Sam! I
    That is great Vicki Sam! I bet they look great too!

Hugs, Angie

Yes, they do Angie .. I was getting all Sassy and
    ready to show my Plastic surgeon tomorrow, then I realized (a few minutes ago) that my pretty feet and toes will be covered up by those UGLY, paper footwear that those hospital staff people make you put on. I wonder if I bring in a new pair of flip flops -- may the surgerical team will let me show off my toes? I am sure they will (yes, I am confused again) .. or just hopeful thinking. heehe I've got it .. I raise my feet up from under the sheets when Dr. Turpin comes in to mark me up .. then he can see that I got all gussied up for mu exchange surgery.

Vicki Sam