Surgery Tomorrow

linpsu
linpsu Member Posts: 747
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Well, tomorrow is my second mastectomy (on the same breast) in two years. I'm not nervous about the actual surgery and recovery, as I've been through it before and it wasn't too bad. But I so worried about the future. I try not to think about it. The fact that the bc recurred in the same breast after a mastectomy just is too much for me to wrap my mind around, and makes me think that it will come back again even after this surgery. I've just finished 8 rounds of dose-dense chemo (4 AC and 4 Taxol) and will have radiation after the surgery. I had neither chemo or radiation after my first mastectomy. In hindsight, I guess I should have, but the doctors didn't feel it was necessary at the time. Well, it's too late to look back; I just have to move forward and do everything I can to beat this.

I know there are lots of wonderful women on these boards who have dealt with reoccurence, and I take comfort in their positive attitudes and uplifting advice to everyone else.

Thanks for listening.
Linda

Comments

• lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    Linda
    Know that i will be praying for you and that i am deeply sorry you have to endure another mastectomy. I had a double mastectomy last June and went through chemo. Then they had to remove my left tissue expander because i developed an infection. So, right now im lopsided. I have my expander in right and nothing in the left breast. My reconstruction is scheduled for August 12th finally. Just as long as my blood work gets better that is. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Take care
    Laura
  • QuiltingMama123
    QuiltingMama123 Member Posts: 124
    I'm so sorry you have to go
    I'm so sorry you have to go through this again! Please know we will all be with you in spirit tomorrow. You've done this before; you can do it again.

Try not to look back at the "should'ves". They will drive you crazy. Now is what matters, and you are strong and brave.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers, esp. tonight and tomorrow.
  • QuiltingMama123
    QuiltingMama123 Member Posts: 124
    I'm so sorry you have to go through this again! Please know we will all be with you in spirit tomorrow. You've done this before; you can do it again.

Try not to look back at the "should'ves". They will drive you crazy. Now is what matters, and you are strong and brave.

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

Linda .. best of luck to you .. I can not believe all
    the chemo and surgery one has to go thru to get back to a semi normal stage shape of our former selves. BBC = before breast cancer.

Like Lolad .. I too encounter an infection, and lost my fully developed, ready to pop in new boobie - right expander 2 weeks before my original exchange surgery .. so I walked, drove and slept lopsided.

Good luck .. and happy trails to a newer you = BBC

Vicki Sam
  • Menda
    Menda Member Posts: 128
    VickiSam said:

Linda .. best of luck to you .. I can not believe all
    the chemo and surgery one has to go thru to get back to a semi normal stage shape of our former selves. BBC = before breast cancer.

Like Lolad .. I too encounter an infection, and lost my fully developed, ready to pop in new boobie - right expander 2 weeks before my original exchange surgery .. so I walked, drove and slept lopsided.

Good luck .. and happy trails to a newer you = BBC

Vicki Sam

I will say an additional
    I will say an additional prayer for you tonight. Ohhhh, can't forget the surgeon, nurses, etc.....,,,,,,,
  • Miss Murphy
    Miss Murphy Member Posts: 302
    Menda said:

I will say an additional
    I will say an additional prayer for you tonight. Ohhhh, can't forget the surgeon, nurses, etc.....,,,,,,,

So Sorry
    I'm so sorry to hear you are going to have more surgery tomorrow. We will all be with you and praying that all goes well and that you make a speedy recovery so you can start to get your life back. I know you must be discouraged but for one thing you can't second guess any previous decisions - we all make the best decisions we can at the time with the info we are given. You have to stay strong and know that you will get thru this - remember second time's the charm.

Hugs, Sally