Is traditional cancer treatment a big scam?

laurissa
laurissa Member Posts: 773
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm so confused. I've been reading so much about nutrition and alternate therapy. Doctors, pharmaceuticals and hospitals would all go "bust" if the nutrition way was given. Anyone else have thoughts on this, or do you think surgery, chemo, radiation is the best way? I don't know what to believe anymore.

Comments

• missingtexas
    missingtexas Member Posts: 146
    I would love to believe it...
    I really would love to believe that changing my diet and taking some vitamins would make it all better but I don't. Maybe using those things in conjunction with traditional therapy would be helpful in the recovery process or maybe lower your risks of the cancer coming back...I just don't think it would be as effective as chemo, radiation and surgery. There is something to be said about the healthcare industry making money BUT there are serious scientists who work very hard every day to find cures and their personal quest would outweigh the money making aspect.
  • Balentine
    Balentine Member Posts: 393

I would love to believe it...
    I really would love to believe that changing my diet and taking some vitamins would make it all better but I don't. Maybe using those things in conjunction with traditional therapy would be helpful in the recovery process or maybe lower your risks of the cancer coming back...I just don't think it would be as effective as chemo, radiation and surgery. There is something to be said about the healthcare industry making money BUT there are serious scientists who work very hard every day to find cures and their personal quest would outweigh the money making aspect.

Yes I have been researching the same thing
    I did read on one site that they only spend about 26% of the money they receive on prevention....much more is spent on treatment options, salaries and business expenses. My belief is that you do need the chemo to shrink the tumor that is already there and growing and the best way we have come up with to stop it from growing is chemo. Even though the chemo is so toxic and causes other issues, the priority here is to kill the cancer because if you don't do that then you will eventually die from it. However, it is also my belief that if they brought the alternative therapies under the same umbrella that we would see a drastic decline of recurrences. Hence the pharmaceutical companies would suffer greatly among others involved. That is why after my chemo and decision not to do any other surgeries or drugs, I have elected to drastically change my diet also. Mainly taking vitamin D3 and calcium. Reduced sugar intake by about 80%, blueberries, blackberries, green tea, asparagus and brocolli....these are the main cancer fighters, but I mainly eat veggies and fruits and no red meat...some organic chicken. Sugar is a big no no because it feeds cancer. I have lost 10 pounds but cannot seem to lose anymore now for the past week or so but I feel so much better. Also stopped taking multivitamins....they make your breasts much more dense which is not good. Hope this helps.
    Be Blessed and let God be MAGNIFIED!
    Lorrie
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Nutrition is key
    I have no doubt about that. But I do trust science and there's proof that
    traditional treatments, as invasive as they are, have helped in the past.
    I wonder a lot about the cause of cancer. And in my opinion it has a lot
    to do with nutrition. Think about it, why are women in certain countries
    less effected? They say toxins in our environment may be a cause but
    some of those countries are more polluted than the US (china for instance)

In my family I am the first with breast cancer. What changed, I moved to
    the US and my diet changed, as well as my stress level increased. Due to
    a busy schedule I ate out a lot, I didn't come home till 11 pm. Work and
    school. I was raised mainly on a plant based diet with some meat here and
    and there. But when I ate out, I ate much more meat. And I had more dairy,
    milk with my daily cereal. Our food is not as safe as it used to be and not
    as rich in vitamins as it used to be. And this explains to me why more and
    more younger women are effected.

I was raised on a farm in Turkey till I was 5 years old. Everything was fresh
    it was from the field to the table. When we moved to germany my parents
    being the farmers at heart rented a garden and we still had our own produce.
    Up until now I had a few colds and that was that.

In my case before I was diagnosed with cancer, my immune system was
    totally down due to health issue I had at work with the A/C. It took me
    almost a year before I figured out what was wrong and that it happened
    at my work place. I was referred from doctor to doctor and no one could
    tell me what I had. After using up all my vacation and sick days, I faced
    the risk of loosing my job,so I kept popping antibiotics and holding on
    to what I had. Then I found an allergy doctor who had weekend hours.
    Who finally proved to me that my suspicion was right and I was getting
    sick at work. I had a mold allergy, I sat right under the A/C at work.
    I always had difficulty breathing and it lead to painful sinus, ear and
    lung infections. Then after about 1 year dealing with that, I got diagnosed.

I often wonder what it is we have all in common. But for me I really believe
    it was a combination of bad diet and stress.

For 4 weeks now I have been juicing in the morning, which makes me
    feel amazing and eating a lot of veggies. No processed foods. I am
    following the credo: If it was made in a lab don't eat it. Nutrition is
    very fascinating if you start paying attention. It is amazing what benefits
    veggies offer.

This does not make me a radical but someone who pays attention to
    what goes in her body. Cancer made me appreciate and stop to pay more
    attention to my body. I really believe if I stay the course I will have a
    healthier body. But I also knew my cancer was aggressive and I don't
    think just nutrition would be enough. Nutrition is a prevention.

Ayse
  • Balentine
    aysemari said:

Nutrition is key
    I have no doubt about that. But I do trust science and there's proof that
    traditional treatments, as invasive as they are, have helped in the past.
    I wonder a lot about the cause of cancer. And in my opinion it has a lot
    to do with nutrition. Think about it, why are women in certain countries
    less effected? They say toxins in our environment may be a cause but
    some of those countries are more polluted than the US (china for instance)

In my family I am the first with breast cancer. What changed, I moved to
    the US and my diet changed, as well as my stress level increased. Due to
    a busy schedule I ate out a lot, I didn't come home till 11 pm. Work and
    school. I was raised mainly on a plant based diet with some meat here and
    and there. But when I ate out, I ate much more meat. And I had more dairy,
    milk with my daily cereal. Our food is not as safe as it used to be and not
    as rich in vitamins as it used to be. And this explains to me why more and
    more younger women are effected.

I was raised on a farm in Turkey till I was 5 years old. Everything was fresh
    it was from the field to the table. When we moved to germany my parents
    being the farmers at heart rented a garden and we still had our own produce.
    Up until now I had a few colds and that was that.

In my case before I was diagnosed with cancer, my immune system was
    totally down due to health issue I had at work with the A/C. It took me
    almost a year before I figured out what was wrong and that it happened
    at my work place. I was referred from doctor to doctor and no one could
    tell me what I had. After using up all my vacation and sick days, I faced
    the risk of loosing my job,so I kept popping antibiotics and holding on
    to what I had. Then I found an allergy doctor who had weekend hours.
    Who finally proved to me that my suspicion was right and I was getting
    sick at work. I had a mold allergy, I sat right under the A/C at work.
    I always had difficulty breathing and it lead to painful sinus, ear and
    lung infections. Then after about 1 year dealing with that, I got diagnosed.

I often wonder what it is we have all in common. But for me I really believe
    it was a combination of bad diet and stress.

For 4 weeks now I have been juicing in the morning, which makes me
    feel amazing and eating a lot of veggies. No processed foods. I am
    following the credo: If it was made in a lab don't eat it. Nutrition is
    very fascinating if you start paying attention. It is amazing what benefits
    veggies offer.

This does not make me a radical but someone who pays attention to
    what goes in her body. Cancer made me appreciate and stop to pay more
    attention to my body. I really believe if I stay the course I will have a
    healthier body. But I also knew my cancer was aggressive and I don't
    think just nutrition would be enough. Nutrition is a prevention.

Ayse

I agree with Ayse
    Also forgot to add an important ingredient to my post....I also do not eat any dairy products....I have switched from cows milk to almond milk....so no cheese and no eggs. Occasionally if you must eat eggs, eat the organic omega 3 eggs.
    Lorrie
  • missingtexas
    missingtexas Member Posts: 146
    Balentine said:

I agree with Ayse
    Also forgot to add an important ingredient to my post....I also do not eat any dairy products....I have switched from cows milk to almond milk....so no cheese and no eggs. Occasionally if you must eat eggs, eat the organic omega 3 eggs.
    Lorrie

I have read a lot about the
    I have read a lot about the benefits of different veggies and meats and the cancer benefits...what is the benefits of avoiding dairy Lorrie? I always thought there were benefits to it.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Balentine said:

I agree with Ayse
    Lorrie

Ayse -- brings up a truly valid point in my opinion
    on the flip side of this coin -- many of us, I feel are pre-destinationed for heredity illness - passed down from generation to generation.

For Example: I am the middle child of 3 girls - same mother, same father.
    I am the only sibling to have suffered thru 8 miscarriages - thyroid cancer and cervical cancer, and now breast cancer.

Both sisters ... 3 children, 1 sister suffered a miscarriage. Neither sister has had any type of cancer (thank you God). We are all meat eaters, I am the thinnist of the 3 -- and I am the fittest - exercise wise - or sports related.

The only difference is that I am a type A personality -- Always going in 3 directions at once, also -- I am a high achiever - career wise. Stress, stress and more stress has always been a part of my life.

So it is my humble opinion - that we must all watch what we get - moderation, exercise and avoid stress. Juice up breakfast and lunch -- YES, eat a nice variety of colors for dinner ..

Vicki Sam
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    VickiSam said:

on the flip side of this coin -- many of us, I feel are pre-destinationed for heredity illness - passed down from generation to generation.

I am the only sibling to have suffered thru 8 miscarriages - thyroid cancer and cervical cancer, and now breast cancer.

Both sisters ... 3 children, 1 sister suffered a miscarriage. Neither sister has had any type of cancer (thank you God). We are all meat eaters, I am the thinnist of the 3 -- and I am the fittest - exercise wise - or sports related.

The only difference is that I am a type A personality -- Always going in 3 directions at once, also -- I am a high achiever - career wise. Stress, stress and more stress has always been a part of my life.

So it is my humble opinion - that we must all watch what we get - moderation, exercise and avoid stress. Juice up breakfast and lunch -- YES, eat a nice variety of colors for dinner ..

Vicki Sam

To all my dear sisters:
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brains fall out.
  • Pinkpower
    Pinkpower Member Posts: 437
    I know what you mean. I have
    I know what you mean. I have read alot about other alternatives, but at the end I agree with Ayse. I choose medical advise, lumpectomy, chemo, rad and Tomaxifen for the next 5yrs. On the other had, I have learned to add more nutritional foods to my daily meals. But we all must choose what is best for US.
    Lupe
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159

To all my dear sisters:
    Keep an open mind, but don't let your brains fall out.

LOL LOL That is without a
    LOL LOL That is without a doubt the BEST advice yet! Hilarious and true!

I am not so conflicted, no matter what money is being made by the drug companies, surgeons and oncologists, not to mention YUK Insurance Companies ( which is indeed obscene) for one reason, and one reason only. I simply refuse to believe that for money, any of these people would let their own childen, much less anyone elses be treated with chemo should they have to battle the beast. If those companies really "know" something and they are pumping not just us but babies with poison just to line their pockets~ that is all too reminiscent of concentration camp experiments! I just don't believe it AT ALL! But that's just me....

Eat as healthily as you can, do as many healthy things as you can, avoid things which can make you vulnerable, and work in concert with all who have our lives and best interest at heart!

Chen
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    VickiSam said:

Vicki Sam

Vickisam we could be twins
    Vickisam we could be twins on this...I am the middle child of 3 girls, same mother and father....i am the thinnist (they are a little plump but not to overboard) and i am the most active...and im the one with all the health problems? How the hell does that work?
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    jo jo said:

Vickisam we could be twins on this...I am the middle child of 3 girls, same mother and father....i am the thinnist (they are a little plump but not to overboard) and i am the most active...and im the one with all the health problems? How the hell does that work?

Same here Vickisam & jo jo
    I am the oldest of 3 girls. Until breast cancer, I worked out every day, ate healthy, etc. At my physical last year, my doctor told me that I was healthy & doing everything right!? Guess, I wasn't doing something right.
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    Pinkpower said:

I know what you mean. I have
    I know what you mean. I have read alot about other alternatives, but at the end I agree with Ayse. I choose medical advise, lumpectomy, chemo, rad and Tomaxifen for the next 5yrs. On the other had, I have learned to add more nutritional foods to my daily meals. But we all must choose what is best for US.
    Lupe

I think that alternative

I think that alternative treatments and healthy living have their place in the treatment of cancer, but it is in conjunction with the traditional treatments, not instead of the traditional treatments.

Joyce
  • Balentine
    jk1952 said:

I think that alternative

I think that alternative treatments and healthy living have their place in the treatment of cancer, but it is in conjunction with the traditional treatments, not instead of the traditional treatments.

Joyce

missingintexas here is a website that better explains it
    It is too lengthy for me to write about. Here is one website that talks about it but there are many others....you can research it for yourself:
    http://www.rense.com/general35/av.htm
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    Laurissa,
    It is very

Laurissa,

It is very confusing! I've done a lot of reading over the years as well. And I'm STILL not sure what to believe. I finally came to the conclusion that they both have there place.

As much as I hate the thought of chemo, the statistics and studies conclude that it is STATISTICALLY the best bet for beating cancer. Does it work all the time for everybody? No. But what does? I like going with stuff that has some research behind it and the most favorable odds. On the otherhand, I believe that there are natural remedies that may slow or stop the mayhem that cancer causes to the body. I believe accupuncture and chinese herbs can help as I have used them myself and seen the benefits.

I think good nutrition is always a good thing. But to say it can cure cancer, I just don't buy it. I had an aunt that died from breast cancer about 18 years ago. She didn't want to do chemo and did some raw fruit and vegetable diets and took all these supplements to no avail. By the time she decided she wanted to do chemo it was too late. The cancer had spread everywhere and she ended up losing the fight.

So...I say go with your gut and what feels right for you. As long as it makes sense and the treatments don't have adverse affects or interactions with each other, why not do both? My father is currently in treatment for termainal esophageal cancer and he is doing chemo, radiation, accupuncture and just started on some homeopathic remedies that have some scientific backing that they have effects on the cellular structure of cancer cells, et.

Just be careful. Be mindful. And remember if it's too good to be true, it probably is!

That's just my opinion! :))

Good luck

Sally
  • sal314
    jk1952 said:

I think that alternative

Joyce

Joyce, you said it much
    Joyce, you said it much clearer and in about a million words shorter than I! LOL. I agree with you! :)

Sally
  • sal314
    jo jo said:

I have to just laugh at your
    I have to just laugh at your reply to Vickisam, Jo-Jo! I'm an only child, but one that has always been thin, athletic and in great health! Then BOOM! Out of nowhere comes the BC! I never smoked, drank and have always been moving. BUT, I'm one of those very deep feelers and stress out way too easily. So I believe my immune system has always been compromised. And is life any easier?? Uh, that would be a big, fat NO!LOL. God blessed me with two speical needs children (one AFTER cancer) and now the situation with my father's EC cancer! Um...hello! I'm gonna die of heart failure due to STRESS! LOL. Life is just not far. But no one said it ever would be! Go figure!! :) But we're still here, so we just have to be thankful and enjoy it! Problems and all. At least we are still alive to have problems! :)

Sally
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691 Member
    I grew up on alternative

I grew up on alternative medicine, rarely saw a western doctor. My mother was a health fanatic so we always new about the latest alternative therapies and had the latest supplements, were vegetarians, ate fresh fruit and vegetables bought from the early morning market several times a week. I rarely ate anything frozen for from a can and did not eat any form of junk food (okay a little cake and candy at birthday parties). It severed me well as I have had Hep. C since the age of 5 but it did not stop me form getting breast cancer. I have rarely had alcohol, have always eaten well and excercised, meditated and have a strong spiritual practice.

I will be honest coming from the alternative medicine background, there are many, many scams and just as many people trying to make some money off of you and your cancer. In this country, the US in particular, it is not always about honesty in marketing it is about the money and you have to be really really careful. It doesn't matter Western medicine or altenative Medicine someone is trying to make money, it is part of the reason that these two modalities have not yet been able integrate.

I chose to go the sugery/chemo/radiation/herceptin route with this breast cancer and I would choose it again knowing what I know now. I did suppliment with various herbs that were okay'd by my Onc. I have been careful with my diet to get the nutrition that I need, to get rest and excercise and support myself physical and emotionally in whatever way I can.

I do think that if one has had a good diet for most of ones life and is relatively healthy, then one can survive the Western Cancer treatment quite well. Right now, it is the best we have. I would rather put myself in the hands of my current doctors, who do care, than put myself in the hands of someone providing alternative treatment but with no follow up care or real guidance.

Please be careful Western cancer treatment is not a scam, it does make a lot of money for a lot of people but again many alternative therapies are a scam and do make a lot of money for people.. Research these alternative treatments really well, read the criticisms of them opening because many of them have holes all over the place or they work for some and not others.
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member

I grew up on alternative

I grew up on alternative medicine, rarely saw a western doctor. My mother was a health fanatic so we always new about the latest alternative therapies and had the latest supplements, were vegetarians, ate fresh fruit and vegetables bought from the early morning market several times a week. I rarely ate anything frozen for from a can and did not eat any form of junk food (okay a little cake and candy at birthday parties). It severed me well as I have had Hep. C since the age of 5 but it did not stop me form getting breast cancer. I have rarely had alcohol, have always eaten well and excercised, meditated and have a strong spiritual practice.

I will be honest coming from the alternative medicine background, there are many, many scams and just as many people trying to make some money off of you and your cancer. In this country, the US in particular, it is not always about honesty in marketing it is about the money and you have to be really really careful. It doesn't matter Western medicine or altenative Medicine someone is trying to make money, it is part of the reason that these two modalities have not yet been able integrate.

I chose to go the sugery/chemo/radiation/herceptin route with this breast cancer and I would choose it again knowing what I know now. I did suppliment with various herbs that were okay'd by my Onc. I have been careful with my diet to get the nutrition that I need, to get rest and excercise and support myself physical and emotionally in whatever way I can.

I do think that if one has had a good diet for most of ones life and is relatively healthy, then one can survive the Western Cancer treatment quite well. Right now, it is the best we have. I would rather put myself in the hands of my current doctors, who do care, than put myself in the hands of someone providing alternative treatment but with no follow up care or real guidance.

Please be careful Western cancer treatment is not a scam, it does make a lot of money for a lot of people but again many alternative therapies are a scam and do make a lot of money for people.. Research these alternative treatments really well, read the criticisms of them opening because many of them have holes all over the place or they work for some and not others.

I agree with Mariam
    Even though I did not grow up using alternative medicine or even as a vegetarian, I have always exercised, ate fairly well and tried to keep a positive attitude about life. However, I do think as much or more money is being made right now by people (not always experts or credentialed) endorsing certain "natural" rememdies, treatments and cures. Since I am no expert in the field of health or disease, I choose to put my trust in the doctors and scientists who have the knowledge and expertise. I'm very skeptical of those writing the books, offering the supplements and proposing the treatments, without any true credentials--other than "having a dog in the fight!"

Renee
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    missrenee said:

I agree with Mariam
    Even though I did not grow up using alternative medicine or even as a vegetarian, I have always exercised, ate fairly well and tried to keep a positive attitude about life. However, I do think as much or more money is being made right now by people (not always experts or credentialed) endorsing certain "natural" rememdies, treatments and cures. Since I am no expert in the field of health or disease, I choose to put my trust in the doctors and scientists who have the knowledge and expertise. I'm very skeptical of those writing the books, offering the supplements and proposing the treatments, without any true credentials--other than "having a dog in the fight!"

Renee

M_azinggrace you are a hoot! And so right on!
    Ladies, if you think chemo etc. is a big scam, just take a look at the survival stats from 40 years ago and breast cancer (all cancers) were a death sentence. But since chemo, rads, better surgical techniques, early detection those stats have completely reversed themselves.

Remember the things that many women have in common that put us at high rish? Overweight? Heavy Alcohol use? Lack of excercise? Skipping mammograms? High fat diet? I am guilty of overweight, lack of exercise, skipping mammograms, high fat diet. But there are also other factors such as family. There are many of us who are thin, eat healthy etc and they are still getting bc. So there goes the heathly eating theory.

You can look up the figuares on how money is distributed by the non-profits. But you have to remember they have heavy expenses as well. The advertising, expenses of fundraiser, and yes salaries all have to come out of the total. There's no such thing as free.

You have really hit a nerve of mine when I hear people talk about the docs just wanting $$$$. They earn their $$$. The drug co's would make a fortune if they could find a magic pill, and they are looking for one constantly. The greed comes in from these "snake oil" low-lifes who peddle a magic cure that doesn't hurt or make you sick...all you gotta do is take vitamins, eat peach pits (remember that one?) and give me a million dollars to give you my secret cure. That's the big scam, people scared to death looking for the magic bullet.

Do I plan on taking better care of myself? Yes, I hope to. Will I do a 180? No. I can only try to do better. Will I skip a mammogram? Absolutely not.

I know I'm much better off than my mother was (colon cancer) in 1984 when there was no Nuelasta and she had to quit her chemo and of course died. I'm better off than my husband's first wife who died from bc in 1970 and there was no chemo or rads. She got Kolbalt. Today she might have lived.

Am I scared of a recurrence? You bet. If that happens will I blame my doc? No way. I know I've done all I can and my doc has done all she can.

I'll get off my soapbox now before I fall off....

Hugs, Judy :-)
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    Thank you
    Cancer is a scary thing to live with and I've been trying to make heads or tails of it all. I do feel like my brains are falling out at times. LOL I just needed some insight from all of you. Maybe I'm reading too much!