Am i crazy to get off the painkillers too soon?

jo jo
jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Since i just had my implants in wednesday and should be gettin my drain tubes out hopefully this Tuesday...do you think im pushin it not taking the pain killers cuz im really not in pain just more discomfort from the drain tubes. Or am i just having a good day from pain and it might return tomorrow.
Yes i just hate taking any drugs and like to get off them as soon as possible but i dont want to be stupid about it and be in pain later. Cuz lord knows im on alot of drugs right now and the only ones im going to finish are the antibiotics and the shots for blood clotting. the rest are muscle relaxers and painkillers...which im not taking now.
Hopefully i dont regret this.

Comments

• Not at all
    If you aren't uncomfortable...if you can sleep...I see no reason to keep them going.
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    hmm, we're all
    hmm, we're all different.

For me, I didn't have to take the narcotics for more than four days. I DID take the muscle relaxers for at least a week. And then after my fills. Those helped me by far more than the pain meds.

I would ease off slowly, but it sounds like you already stopped. It is much easier to control the pain than try to regain control once you've stopped.

Hope this helps,
    dh
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    I ditto Faith_Trust
    Like you, I hated taking drugs and if I didn't feel I needed them, I wouldn't take them.

The nurses got really upset with me after my reconstructive surgery because I wouldn't push that morphine pump...
  • jk1952
    jk1952 Member Posts: 613
    sea60 said:

I ditto Faith_Trust
    Like you, I hated taking drugs and if I didn't feel I needed them, I wouldn't take them.

The nurses got really upset with me after my reconstructive surgery because I wouldn't push that morphine pump...

I've always been reluctant

I've always been reluctant to take the narcotic painkillers, if I can avoid it. I do take Advil, Tylenol or Motrim when I feel pain, and if that doesn't relieve it, then I feel that I can always go back to the narcotic painkillers.

Joyce
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    jk1952 said:

I've always been reluctant

I've always been reluctant to take the narcotic painkillers, if I can avoid it. I do take Advil, Tylenol or Motrim when I feel pain, and if that doesn't relieve it, then I feel that I can always go back to the narcotic painkillers.

Joyce

Hey Jo-jo,
    you can always take one if you need to. No point in hurting needlessly. But if not, that's really great.

Keep us posted.

Hugs,Judy :-)
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    Skeezie said:

Hey Jo-jo,
    you can always take one if you need to. No point in hurting needlessly. But if not, that's really great.

Keep us posted.

Hugs,Judy :-)

Jo jo
    There is nothing wrong with not taking the pain med if you dont need to. I worked in a drs office before i was diagnosed for six years or so and we saw so many patients that were addicted to the pain meds. They would actually get physically sick with diarreah, vomiting, cold chills, sweats and couldnt get out of bed because of them being addicted. So, no definately dont take them unless you need to. Dont use them to try to prevent the pain from coming back. Just take them if you have pain that cant be relieved without over the counter meds. You are not crazy for thinking this way. You would not believe the people who are addicted to these prescription drugs. If you need to take them because of being in pain then take them. Dont put yourself through unnecesary (sp?) pain. Sounds like to me you have a smart enough head on your shoulders to not get carried away.

Take care
    Laura
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    I have been fortunate in all
    I have been fortunate in all my surgeries that I have not taken the prescription pain meds after leaving the hospital. I have been fine with just Tylenol. Even in the hospital I did not stay on the meds long because they made me nauseous and dizzy and I would rather have minor pain than that feeling. Do what feels right to you. If you don't need the meds, don't take them.

Take care, seof
  • heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    i don't think there's anything wrong with stopping when you feel
    i don't think there's anything wrong with stopping when you feel you are ready - i dislike prescription painkillers with a passion! have friends who got addicted - i am so scared of that so even after surgery on my spine, i refused oxycontin and morphine. advil is just fine for me - and truthfully, it works better too!
  • jo jo
    Update...
    Well its been since yesterday morning (Sunday) that i took my last pain pill and i feel fine...i think my head is clearing up so i dont have that dopy feeling as much and just a little discomfort where the drain tubes come out but i can handle that.
    Thanks everyone for your input on this.
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    jo jo said:

Update...
    Well its been since yesterday morning (Sunday) that i took my last pain pill and i feel fine...i think my head is clearing up so i dont have that dopy feeling as much and just a little discomfort where the drain tubes come out but i can handle that.
    Thanks everyone for your input on this.

Hey jo jo
    Glad you are feeling better. Hope those nasty tubes come out soon. I know that will definitely make you feel better! Hugs :>) Jean
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    Jean 0609 said:

Hey jo jo
    Glad you are feeling better. Hope those nasty tubes come out soon. I know that will definitely make you feel better! Hugs :>) Jean

Pain Meds
    Jo Jo, I'm glad you are feeling well enough to cut back on the meds. I hate them, and even more, I hate the side effects from them. When I had my lumpectomy (hey -- one year tomorrow!)...when I had that surgery, the prescription was for 30 pills. I took them as directed for the first 24 hours. Then stretched out the times between after that. On the third day I switched to regular Tylenol, knowing I could fall back on the stronger stuff if I needed to. By the 5th day I was taking nothing during the day, and just one Tylenol at bedtime. The drain bothered me the most, but not because of pain. It was in the way, uncomfortable, and I wasn't sure what it was attached to...I was always thinking "what if it comes out?" I'm 60 miles from the hospital. Keep on feeling better and better! Hugs, Gracie
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

Pain Meds
    Jo Jo, I'm glad you are feeling well enough to cut back on the meds. I hate them, and even more, I hate the side effects from them. When I had my lumpectomy (hey -- one year tomorrow!)...when I had that surgery, the prescription was for 30 pills. I took them as directed for the first 24 hours. Then stretched out the times between after that. On the third day I switched to regular Tylenol, knowing I could fall back on the stronger stuff if I needed to. By the 5th day I was taking nothing during the day, and just one Tylenol at bedtime. The drain bothered me the most, but not because of pain. It was in the way, uncomfortable, and I wasn't sure what it was attached to...I was always thinking "what if it comes out?" I'm 60 miles from the hospital. Keep on feeling better and better! Hugs, Gracie

JoJo .. I really don't take the pain medication as
    prescribed .. maybe 1 right before going to bed. Otherwise, I would be foggie all day, and being a blond - I have a tendency to be dizzy. I hate feeling all loopie, and foggie.

Oh, I can't wait for those DRAINS.

Keep up the good work ...

Vicki Sam
  • jo jo
    Another update
    First thing this morning i took a pain pill cuz i thought i was on my way to get my drain tubes out...they did take out one but left one until Friday.
    I am glad i took it beforehand cuz it hurt...not the drain tube coming out...but it smarted really bad when they pulled the surgical tape off...i swear they pulled skin with it. IT brought tears to my eyes and i didnt know if it was from it hurting or from my sister and the nurse making me laugh so hard. I guess you can laugh through pain too!