Just Diagnosed

angmeche
angmeche Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have just been diagnosed with having breast cancer and am scheduled for surgery Tuesday...I am frightened and do not know what to expect...any feedback would be appreciated.

Angie

Comments

• Snowkitty
    Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
    What kind of surgery are you having
    Angie, you will find tons of support here. Any questions you have will be answered.

For me, my surgery was an exciting day. Couldn't wait to have that damned thing removed from me. I had a Lumpectomy and everything went super great and recovery time was fast. The only problem I had was from the glue of the tape; I found out I was super-sensitive to that.

If you are having a mastectomy, there are tons of people on here who will give you all kinds of advice.

Wishing you well.

Cindy
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    I had a modified radical
    I had a modified radical right mastectomy. The hardest part is the waiting. Make sure you have some button down the front tops. Also ask the surgeon for exercises and when you should start them. Hang in there.
  • kjrpcb
    kjrpcb Member Posts: 41
    Just diagnosed
    I was diagnosed two months on my birthday. At first I was numb and cried all the time. But slowly I was able to wrap my brain around the fact that I have breast cancer and that I was a fighter and was going to survive this. What have I learned?
    Read these messages. The survivors here are a wonderful group of kind, caring and compassionate people. Imagine the power of total strangers sending you love and prayers. That's what this network is. I guess we really aren't strangers just members of a select club.
    Sit in the recliner remote in hand.
    Have lots of help.
    Ask questions and have someone take notes for you. My brain was scrambled and I had some specific questions but didn't trust myself to remember them.
    Drink lots of water
    Buy button down PJs.Nothing over the head.
    Using my laptop I started a personal journal. I needed s place to write down what I was feeling. It's just for me.

Call it a team, call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family. Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one. I'm not sure who wrote it but it seems appropriate. Prayers to you, June
  • MNLynn
    MNLynn Member Posts: 224
    Angie,
    what kind of surgery are you having? I had a mastectomy - within two weeks of my "official" diagnosis. I am glad things went so quickly. For one thing, it probably gave me less time to just sit around and think about everything. I had a wonderful surgeon - so I was able to place my trust in him and felt good about that. I stayed overnight - was sore after that, but probably not as much as I had anticipated. I had one drain in - which was just kind of an inconvenience - especially when I showered, but it was not a big problem for me.

Please be sure to let us know how things go - we'll be keeping you in our thoughts & prayers. And, on Monday night & Tuesday morning - keep reminding yourself that we are there with you . . . and, yes, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I didn't find this site until I had surgery & radiation behind me - I wish I would have found this when you have in your journey. These "sisters" have traveled this same path, and you will find so much understanding and support here.

With thoughts & prayers . . .

♥ Lynn ♥
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    MNLynn said:

Angie,
    what kind of surgery are you having? I had a mastectomy - within two weeks of my "official" diagnosis. I am glad things went so quickly. For one thing, it probably gave me less time to just sit around and think about everything. I had a wonderful surgeon - so I was able to place my trust in him and felt good about that. I stayed overnight - was sore after that, but probably not as much as I had anticipated. I had one drain in - which was just kind of an inconvenience - especially when I showered, but it was not a big problem for me.

Please be sure to let us know how things go - we'll be keeping you in our thoughts & prayers. And, on Monday night & Tuesday morning - keep reminding yourself that we are there with you . . . and, yes, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I didn't find this site until I had surgery & radiation behind me - I wish I would have found this when you have in your journey. These "sisters" have traveled this same path, and you will find so much understanding and support here.

With thoughts & prayers . . .

♥ Lynn ♥

Wonderful information provided with above posting ..
    Breast Cancer just the term itself is scary .. Please note that we are here 24/7, and combined have 100 years of experience, surgeries, chemo treatments behind us.

Strength and Courage:

Vicki Sam
  • MNLynn
    kjrpcb said:

Just diagnosed
    I was diagnosed two months on my birthday. At first I was numb and cried all the time. But slowly I was able to wrap my brain around the fact that I have breast cancer and that I was a fighter and was going to survive this. What have I learned?
    Read these messages. The survivors here are a wonderful group of kind, caring and compassionate people. Imagine the power of total strangers sending you love and prayers. That's what this network is. I guess we really aren't strangers just members of a select club.
    Sit in the recliner remote in hand.
    Have lots of help.
    Ask questions and have someone take notes for you. My brain was scrambled and I had some specific questions but didn't trust myself to remember them.
    Drink lots of water
    Buy button down PJs.Nothing over the head.
    Using my laptop I started a personal journal. I needed s place to write down what I was feeling. It's just for me.

Call it a team, call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family. Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one. I'm not sure who wrote it but it seems appropriate. Prayers to you, June

journal
    Like kjrpcb, I kept a journal on my laptop - just for me. It helped me a lot - just to have somewhere to write down all the things that were going through my mind.

Also - the "remote in hand" - good point! I made sure I had everything on the table beside me before I sat down on the couch . . . water, phone, remote, book, and whatever else you like to keep by you - and I made sure I stopped at the bathroom before I sat down - I really didn't want to get back up very soon after sitting down to relax or sleep.

♥ Lynn ♥
  • MNLynn
    other web sites that you may find helpful
    I got a lot of information from breastcancer.org and caring4cancer.com - and some others that I have bookmarked on my computer. I was on the computer getting info almost 24/7 . . . drove my husband nuts, but I NEEDED all the information I could find!
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Hi Angie
    Hi Angie - I was very recently diagnosed myself and wanted to reach out to welcome you here, you will find everyone on the board is extremely helpful and encouraging, and it's so nice to have people you can go to to ask questions, who've already "been there" with breast cancer, or are going through the same situation. I was diagnosed June 16th, with cancer in my right breast, and Thursday I had a double mastectomy with expanders put in. I stayed 2 nights in the hospital. I've been up and moving around just fine, and every hour that goes by I get a little bit better. I have drain tubes in now and while they're not a joy to have in, they are manageable, and are really just a nuisance. I did have 3 in at the hospital but my Dr removed one of them yesterday before I came home. I know how scary this can be Angie, and how all-consuming it can be for you. If you have any questions or want to talk please ask away! I hope you will find the same comfort on these boards as I have!
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • slynch
    slynch Member Posts: 82
    Good Site
    Sorry for the reason you are here but you have come to a wonderful place. This site really helped me when I was diagnosed in March. I had bilateral mastectomy and so many people on this site helped me to be prepared for it. Ask questions -- no question is dumb or unnecessary. I don't think I have posted a question or comment yet that did not get a good response. You can be assured that everyone here knows what you are going through. Please keep us updated on what type of surgery and how you are doing, etc.
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Angie
    We are all here for you. I know things are happening so fast and the fear and anxiety you feel.

I hope you have someone who can help you get all the information you need because sometimes it's hard to listen while trying to process all your emotions.

Despite the reasons you're here, I'm glad that you joined this family of amazing sisters. They have a wealth of knowledge, compassion and care!

Take one day at a time. What helps me is to meditate on the promises of God. Ask for help from those around you and LET them help you. That was hard for me to do since I always DID everything myself.

Keeping you in my prayers,

Sylvia
  • QuiltingMama123
    QuiltingMama123 Member Posts: 124
    Welcome to the sisterhood!
    I, too, was recently diagnosed and had a lumpectomy 9 days ago. It was not nearly as bad as I expected, but do be sure to have tops that do not go over your head for a few days. My doc said no driving for a week and not to lift anything over 10 pounds on that side for 2 weeks. I see my oncologist on Tuesday to find out what chemo has in store for me.

So much of what you will go through depends on your type of cancer and stage. The hardest thing for me (so far) has been waiting: to get results back, to get the path report back, to see the oncologist, to find out what is next - what I will need to get through.

Just remember, you can do this. You have found an incredibly spportive group of women here who have taught me it is okay to be scared, angry, etc, etc.

You will be in my prayers Tuesday.
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    Welcome
    Welcome to this great site although I am sorry you had to come here. I was diagnosed in March and was scared to death. Everyone on this site has been helpful and supportive. Ask any questions you might have and someone will have answers.

Hugs
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    It is so scary, but you have
    It is so scary, but you have found a wonderful supportive place. I had a lumpectomy in March, finished chemo 2 wks ago getting ready to start rads in 1 week. Any questions you have someone here will have an answer. I have to say so far the surgery and the chemo has not been near as bad as I had imagined it to be. Just feel free to ask anything. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • Pinkpower
    Pinkpower Member Posts: 437
    Hi Angie, I'm so grateful I
    Hi Angie, I'm so grateful I found this site, and soon you will be too. Like they have already said b4, its such a relief to get answers from people who have gone thru what you will soon. And like kjrpcb sd, please make sure you take someone with you to every appoitment and that someone is there b4 and after surgery. I had a lumpectomy in Oct 09 and I'm so glad my husband was there, also my mom, aunt and uncle, especially after surgery, I think surgeons and staff forget you were under anesthesia and they talk to you and give you instructions just because you seem to be "awake". I dont even remember seeing or talking to my surgeon right after surgery, so good thing my husband was there to remind me what we talked about.
    Lupe
  • yallpaint
    yallpaint Member Posts: 2
    First of all... I'm sorry.
    First of all... I'm sorry. The anger and fear is overwhemling, but you can do this and there is hope. It's big and ugly, and it seems like it will be forever until you are okay again. You can do this and you will come out the other side.

Be grateful it is the kind of cancer they can cut out of you. Can't do that with bone or brain cancer. My oncologist explained to me that the treatment for breast cancer is not as difficult to tolerate as is the treatment for other types of cancer. Much depends on how healthy you were before you were diagnosed. So you may not be as sick as you imagine. Yes you will be tired and mentally overwhelmed.

I'm told that most people undergoing breast cancer actually GAIN weight. (no body told me this so I purposefully gained 10 lbs in the month between surgery and chemo, only to gain 10 more during chemo. Jokes on me!) Recieving the chemo is not as overwhelming as I expected. They give you several pre-meds to relax you and help with the nausea, so actually getting chemo is not that bad. The anti-nausea meds they have work great. I was lucky and was rarely even nauseous. Sure I felt crummy, but was never actually sick.

When you are getting chemo, think of it as your ally who is helping you kill the bad cells. Your job is to heal your self mentally, emotionally, and be good to yourself physically so the chemo can do its work. The biggest battle is in your mind. You can be changed by what happens to you, but you can refuse to be reduced by it. (Maya Angelou)

I had surgery last December, started chemo in February and finished it 4 weeks ago. For a while it seemed it would never end and I was angry, angry angry. Now it seems like its gone so fast and I can see beyond the treatment.
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    Angie
    I want to say welcome. You will be amazed at all the love and support you get from this board. Are you having a lumpectomy or mastectomy? I myself had a double mastectomy and had tissue expanders placed in at the time of my surgery. With the expanders you go every couple of weeks and they fill them with a saline solution to stretch your skin and prepare the breast for reconstructive surgery. Its totally normal for you to feel frightened. You will go through many emotions through all the things you have to go through to reach that cancer free point. Just keep coming back here and ask whatever you need to. There are so many here and someone is bound to be able to help. No two people are alike and we all handle and heal differently. You will always get the best support from here though, so i hope you will continue to keep us updated. I will pray that your surgery goes well Tuesday.

Take care
    Laura