Need opions

Katz77
Katz77 Member Posts: 598
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I kind of posted this question in another post, but just half hearted. I've had clean scans and mammo. Unoffical report on mammo. My EX-cancer was IDC stage 3c, HER posi,ER and PR posi with 18/20 nodes posi. The good boob has microcalcifications. spelling?lol Seems to long.
Radiologist says unchanged from last years mammo. Onc says chemo and rads should have taken care of micros. Onc said this bf I had my mammo, so the micros are still there. I meet with my surgeon on the 23rd to hear results "offically."
Question. I'm thinking of having the "good" boob removed. Is this unreasonable? Due to fear? Should I sit and wait, watch? Would like some opions on the matter so I can be ready to discuss with Dr. I am at a very high rate for recurr.

Comments

• sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Hey Katz!
    For me, I opted to remove the good boobie as well. My only reason? To lessen my chances of reoccurance. My type of cancer is almost exactly the same as yours.

Pray for guidance as it's not an easy decision. I'm sure you'll make the right choice for you.

Blessings,

Sylvia
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    sea60 said:

Hey Katz!
    For me, I opted to remove the good boobie as well. My only reason? To lessen my chances of reoccurance. My type of cancer is almost exactly the same as yours.

Pray for guidance as it's not an easy decision. I'm sure you'll make the right choice for you.

Blessings,

Sylvia

Thanks sea60. The thing is,
    Thanks sea60. The thing is, I'm one year out of cancer. Would it be weird to ask for a mast now. I'd feel a little weird asking. It's like maybe I'm being a baby, paranoid.
  • m-star
    m-star Member Posts: 441
    Katz77 said:

Thanks sea60. The thing is, I'm one year out of cancer. Would it be weird to ask for a mast now. I'd feel a little weird asking. It's like maybe I'm being a baby, paranoid.

Katz,
    i had BOTH good boobs

Katz,
    i had BOTH good boobs removed so no,its not unreasonable to want to do it!

Speak to your onc/breast consultant and see what they say. Express you fears and concerns. And if it makes you a baby for wanting to get rid of that boob,then what does it make ME!!! LOL

No one wants cancer and i know we cant just go around,randomly getting body parts removed,but this is different. Good luck =)
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    m-star said:

Katz,
    i had BOTH good boobs

Katz,
    i had BOTH good boobs removed so no,its not unreasonable to want to do it!

Speak to your onc/breast consultant and see what they say. Express you fears and concerns. And if it makes you a baby for wanting to get rid of that boob,then what does it make ME!!! LOL

No one wants cancer and i know we cant just go around,randomly getting body parts removed,but this is different. Good luck =)

m-star
    Did you have a very strong BC history in your family? I'm sorry that I don't know everyone very well so you probably already explained all that. I understand how you could want to prevent cancer, my girlfriend had a total hysterectomy to avoid cancer with no signs of disease. To be honest, I never thought about getting breast cancer prior to my diagnosis and was very lax on my mammo's. Weird isn't it how different our mindsets can be.
    Boy was I in for a surprise when my Dr. ORDERED me to have my a mammo and there it was! I never felt a lump either.
    Thanks.
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Katz77 said:

I had both
    I had a lumpectomy first, doctor's recommendation.He had to
    go back in to get clear margins. My tumor was over 2 cm, grade 3
    invasive and HER2 positive.

I felt rushed the first time around. Then I did my research on my own.
    This was while I was going through chemo. Then I spoke to my
    doctor about my findings and feelings. Having a bilateral mastectomy
    put my chances for recurrence at less than 1 per cent. Bye boobies,
    it was nice hanging out with you but THIS is my life we are talking.

I just felt we know so little about this disease, that I am not going
    to take any chances.

All that said, it is a very personal decision, do what you are comfortable
    with and as you said don't let fear lead you, take you time and think calmly.

Ayse
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    I'm sorry you are facing this....
    I 'only' had a lumpectomy, then chemo/rads...

BUT, with the rectal cancer, 6 months earlier, I went ahead with removal of my rectum and sigmoid colon, a fairly radical decision, considering all of the scans, etc showed that the pre-surgical rads, chemo took care of everything...

I guess what I'm saying is it comes down to your comfort level. I didn't want to worry about the reoccurance at the site of my rectal cancer, so I chose removal. A year of 'retraining' my bathroom functions came with it, but I have no regrets. Also, no regrets for the total hysterectomy (removed totally normal, non-cancerous uterus and ovaries) at the same time.

As I posted elsewhere, whatever you decide is the right decision for YOU!

Hugs, Kathi