My Margins Are Not Clear...

sohardbnme
sohardbnme Member Posts: 129
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just am going crazy, uuuggghhh... got my pathology report back from my June 30, 2010 lumpectomy...Found out my margins are not clear... Additionally, out of 13 lymph nodes 11 were positive...Medical oncologist wants me to start chemotherapy before another lumpectomy or mastectomy... I am 37 and I am going crazy... I am scheduled for a pet scan Tuesday... Lastly, I am triple positive...

Comments

• missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Oh, soharbnme, I understand about going crazy
    The last thing I wanted to hear after my diagnosis (IDC stage 3) was that my margins were not clear. I also had 10 positive nodes out of 23 taken. I had a revision of the lumpectomy, then 6 treatments of chemo (TAC) and now in the middle of radiation (35 treatments). My whole team was in agreement that this was the way to go. After reading another post about mastectomy vs. lumpectomy and recurrence, I'm nervous. I just went with what my experts recommended. I am estrogen and progesterone positive so now have the drugs to take for 5 years as well. I think we just have to follow our gut, listen to experts we trust and try to make the best decision for us.

You have all of us to help you through this--and you will get through this. It is so frightening and frustrating and the waiting is the worst. My thoughts and prayers go out to you today.

Hugs, Renee
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    I agree with Renee
    the diagnosis is one of the hardest things to stomach. It' such an
    oxymoron but this is not a time to stress. Try to stay calm. You
    need to make some important decisions that will impact your life.

Just remember, there IS treatment. You have a rough road ahead
    of you, no denying that but please try and stay positive. You can
    overcome this, so many before you have, so why NOT you?

And if you are looking for advice this board will be your best
    resource.

I am sending you lots of love and big hugs!
    You are not alone.

Ayse
  • missrenee said:

Oh, soharbnme, I understand about going crazy
    The last thing I wanted to hear after my diagnosis (IDC stage 3) was that my margins were not clear. I also had 10 positive nodes out of 23 taken. I had a revision of the lumpectomy, then 6 treatments of chemo (TAC) and now in the middle of radiation (35 treatments). My whole team was in agreement that this was the way to go. After reading another post about mastectomy vs. lumpectomy and recurrence, I'm nervous. I just went with what my experts recommended. I am estrogen and progesterone positive so now have the drugs to take for 5 years as well. I think we just have to follow our gut, listen to experts we trust and try to make the best decision for us.

You have all of us to help you through this--and you will get through this. It is so frightening and frustrating and the waiting is the worst. My thoughts and prayers go out to you today.

Hugs, Renee

Dear so hard...
    It's not an easy road. The best advice I received after my diagnosis was to be breathe. 1 in 8 women get it in their lifetime, so it's quite a sisterhood that you have joined, not that any of us want it.

Do you have anyone, sisters, friends, neighbors, co-workers that can go with you to your appointments? Maybe even the friend of a friend that was journeyed this road?

I was blessed by two women, both survivors, that came into my life just when I was diagnosed. We sat over coffee and they shared so much information, answered my silly questions, and most importantly empowered me to assert myself as a patient, to be my own advocate, as it were. Take a notepad...write your questions down before seeing the doctor, no question is too silly, also, a friend can help you when a doctor rattles off the game plan or whatever else. Get and maintain all your records as you begin this journey, CDs with scans, images, lab reports, everything. Also, you are entitled to a second opinion...good doctors are not insulted by it...and if one takes offense to it, you don't need some cowboy practicing on you. Check on your doctor, ask co-workers for recommendations, you can even check online.

Use this forum to educate yourself, but also be very gracious with yourself...you need to sleep, eat right, and talk about things other than your cancer. Trust me, I know how frightening this is, but sometimes stepping away (and I mean shutting off the computer and the google searches) and clearing your head is important too. See a movie, treat yourself to dinner out and have dessert!

It really turns into one day at a time...for me, I seek joy in each in every day.

faith_trust
  • Miss Murphy
    Miss Murphy Member Posts: 302
    I Know
    that this is awful for you. You need to be strong and know that we are all here for you. As so many before you, you WILL get thru this. Just take it one day at a time. All this is easier said than done but look at all the women on this board and they have done what they have to do to get their life back and you will too. Hang in there.

Hugs, Sally
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

I Know
    that this is awful for you. You need to be strong and know that we are all here for you. As so many before you, you WILL get thru this. Just take it one day at a time. All this is easier said than done but look at all the women on this board and they have done what they have to do to get their life back and you will too. Hang in there.

Hugs, Sally

Oh My Lord .. Cyber Hugs and positive thoughts
    coming your way .. Please look at the postings and I think there is something recently posted that may help you ...

Please .. Please take a deep breathe, and know that we have over 100 years of experience on this boards, right here and right now! .. We are here to help you, encourage you and walk with you thru this journey.

Pink Warriors ...

Vicki Sam
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Sohard
    I'm sorry your going crazy. Please take a deep breath. Focus is what you need to do, and this board. I too, was and I use was, triple posi and 18/20 nodes posi. Stage3c and HER2 posi. Had mast and all nodes removed 1 yr ago on June 23rd. Had my scans and mammo and it's all clear. Please tell yourself you can do it. Did you have chemo or rads before? Please keep updating. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. I'll be thinking of you Tuesday extra hard. Katz