I met New Flower today!

TraciInLA
TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I wanted to share with everyone that New Flower and I met for coffee today! (We couldn't let the Chicago girls get ahead of us here in Southern California :-)

It was such a delight to meet her, and to share her excitement for her new job and new home -- she's every bit as lovely in person as she is here. She starts her new job on Monday, is still moving things to her new home, and unfortunately, is going to have a wicked commute, so she may not be able to post for awhile. But I was able to give her a big hug for all of us, and she knows we're all celebrating this new chapter in her life with her!

Traci

Comments

• heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    how cool!
    i love reading about the connections in person! i don't think there is anyone near me, so i won't be having a face to face meeting with anyone ; (
  • I'm glad she was able to make it...
    and I hope you have a grand time with your overly scheduled pal. I will keep that event in August on my calendar, but I will make no guarantees.

faith_trust_and_a_little_bit_of_chemotherapy
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Coolest of cool. It does
    Coolest of cool. It does mean more than words can convey when virtual turns into face-to-face. I'm glad you and New Flower had the opportunity to meet . xoxoxoxoLynn
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Awesome! Where did New
    Awesome! Where did New Flower move from? And why the big commute? We do know it can indeed be a bear in So Cal~

Fun, fun, fun meeting our fellow warriors isn't it?~ a real connection! Nice!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Let's take this site to the next level
    I love this! It's like we are taking this site to the next level.
    Meeting in person is amazing and very empowering.
    By the end of the year I will be able to volunteer and I
    can't wait.

I hope more sisters will take the initiative to meet!

Ayse
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Icing on the cake!
    To meet one you've been chatting with for so long is like icing on the cake! It's like you've known her all along and finally meeting in person...awesome! Sounds like you had a wonderful visit.

Thanks for giving her a hug from us! You're so sweet.

Blessings,

Sylvia
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    aysemari said:

Let's take this site to the next level
    I love this! It's like we are taking this site to the next level.
    Meeting in person is amazing and very empowering.
    By the end of the year I will be able to volunteer and I
    can't wait.

I hope more sisters will take the initiative to meet!

Ayse

I agree totally Ayse.
    I felt so good to be able to meet you in person. Finally, I felt like I was talking in person to someone who actually "got it!" I'm thinking about you today and hoping you're doing well--resting, watching some great movies. Can't wait to see you on Tuesday for your appointment.

Take good care.

Hugs, Renee
  • Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    Молодцы!
    Вы говорили по-русский друг с другом?
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Aortus said:

Молодцы!

OH ... I am so jealous ... but extremely happy that the
    two of you met, shared and enjoyed each other. What a inspirating story!

I live in Southern California .. Anaheim Hills, Yorba Linda Area .. Any other sister out there in my neck of the woods. I would also like to say that I would travel to meet. I think KathiM is out in my area .. but right now she is in Europe, living LA VIVA LOCA.

Vicki Sam
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Traci, I think that is
    Traci, I think that is wonderful. There is nothing like FINALLY meeting someone in person that you have communicated with via phone or in writing. It's such an exciting moment!

P.S. The Chicago girls are still ahead of everyone....they posted their proof (photo)!!
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Aortus said:

Молодцы!

Как сказать по-русский “rusty”?
    (How do you say "rusty" in Russian?)

I studied Russian back in college, and spent a summer in St. Petersburg back when it was still Leningrad, and then worked for a translation agency here in the US for about 10 years, but that's been a long time ago now, and my Russian is really, really rusty -- and chemo may have killed off some of those brain cells, just to make it even worse. New Flower was kind enough to not give me a "test"!

I did find out, however, that she is from St. Petersburg, so maybe we passed each other on the metro sometime that summer all those years ago!

Traci
  • Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    TraciInLA said:

Как сказать по-русский “rusty”?
    (How do you say "rusty" in Russian?)

I studied Russian back in college, and spent a summer in St. Petersburg back when it was still Leningrad, and then worked for a translation agency here in the US for about 10 years, but that's been a long time ago now, and my Russian is really, really rusty -- and chemo may have killed off some of those brain cells, just to make it even worse. New Flower was kind enough to not give me a "test"!

I did find out, however, that she is from St. Petersburg, so maybe we passed each other on the metro sometime that summer all those years ago!

Traci

I wish I knew
    My command of Russian was never even good enough to rust. At 40, I decided to audit Russian 101 at the university where I teach, but Moopy talked me into taking it for credit. Since then, my Russian has been better and it has been worse, but never all that great. I have been to Russia five times in the last five years, though: 2005, 2006, 2007 (twice) and just this last March. Somehow, I always seem to find myself in St. Petersburg...
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    That is great. Lorie
    That is great. Lorie Balentine and I had meet a few weeks ago. We actually had the same surgeon! She met me for one of my chemo trts. and we had lunch together. It was nice to talk to someone face to face about all this. God Bless
    (((Hugs)))Janice
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Very heartwarming, indeed!
    I'm hoping to meet a few sisters that I found on the "what state are you from" thread.

Sue
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    VickiSam said:

OH ... I am so jealous ... but extremely happy that the
    two of you met, shared and enjoyed each other. What a inspirating story!

I live in Southern California .. Anaheim Hills, Yorba Linda Area .. Any other sister out there in my neck of the woods. I would also like to say that I would travel to meet. I think KathiM is out in my area .. but right now she is in Europe, living LA VIVA LOCA.

Vicki Sam

Vicki
    you have a chance. My job is in Anaheim and I moved to Torrance. We can have lunch sometime.
    I am looking for a lymphedema therapist in Orange county.
  • New Flower
    sbmly53 said:

Very heartwarming, indeed!
    I'm hoping to meet a few sisters that I found on the "what state are you from" thread.

Sue

Today was my first day at my new job
    It went well, however I got lost and had to call my boss for directions. Really good start!!!
    I did o lot of HR and regulatory training, very boring. I came home little tired, went to pool and going to go go bed before 10.
    Thanks Traci for this wonderful thread !
    Hugs to everyone,
    New Flower
  • New Flower
    Traci thank you
    for the good time together and for complements. I do like them and I am accepting with great pride.
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    :-)
    Oh how fun, I hope someday to meet some of you as well! Glad you two had the opportunity!

Hugs,

RE
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    So glad for both of you! :-)
    Traci & New Flower! It is, indeed, a special and precious experience, isn't it? To actually meet, in person, a sister from the board here. I met Taleena in December (without a camera, shucks!), and Lynn just a few weeks ago. I hope to continually add names to that list!

Kind regards, Susan
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member

So glad for both of you! :-)
    Traci & New Flower! It is, indeed, a special and precious experience, isn't it? To actually meet, in person, a sister from the board here. I met Taleena in December (without a camera, shucks!), and Lynn just a few weeks ago. I hope to continually add names to that list!

Kind regards, Susan

How great!
    Traci, I am so happy that you and New Flower got to meet! I bet the conversation never stopped! lol

I know she was going to be busy with the move and the new job. I hope everything is going well for her.

Thanks for letting us know.

Sue :)