Keeping the faith

Katz77
Katz77 Member Posts: 598
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Well last week was good news. All scans clear!!!!! Today was boob-a-gram day and looks like the good boob is behaving. Our hosp lets you know within minutes what the results are. Radiologist said no changes from last mammo. Will see my surgeon on the 23rd to back this up.
I was wondering though. I had calcifications that are deep. To deep to biospy. Even though no changes, what if? Was thinking of maybe having the good boob removed anyway. Thoughts on this from my sistas.
Update on my ex-cancer. Stage 3c, IDC with 18/20 nodes involved. HER posi, ER and PR posi.
Man thats almost a whole sentenace. Thanks to all, Katz
P.s. My onc said Monday when I questioned him and stated "if the calcifications are still there I may think about mast", he said "good idea". Mmmmm

Comments

• Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    That is great news about the
    That is great news about the scans Katz! So, big congrats on that!!!

Isn't it great now that the radiologist will read our mammo's shortly after we have them done? I love that! At my cancer center, they do that only for bc survivors, but, I wish they would do it for every woman. Maybe, someday..

I wish I could answer your question, but, I really don't know. I guess I am puzzled about the calcifications that are so deep. I guess I am a little surprised that your oncologist didn't recommend a mastectomy from the start. There must have been a good reason why he didn't. Do you remember why he didn't then?

This is such a personal decision. Only you can decide, along with advice from your plastic surgeon and oncologist, what would be the best route to go.

Wish I could help you more. Just know I am here to help and support you in whatever you decide.

Sue :)
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Ritzy said:

That is great news about the
    That is great news about the scans Katz! So, big congrats on that!!!

Isn't it great now that the radiologist will read our mammo's shortly after we have them done? I love that! At my cancer center, they do that only for bc survivors, but, I wish they would do it for every woman. Maybe, someday..

I wish I could answer your question, but, I really don't know. I guess I am puzzled about the calcifications that are so deep. I guess I am a little surprised that your oncologist didn't recommend a mastectomy from the start. There must have been a good reason why he didn't. Do you remember why he didn't then?

This is such a personal decision. Only you can decide, along with advice from your plastic surgeon and oncologist, what would be the best route to go.

Wish I could help you more. Just know I am here to help and support you in whatever you decide.

Sue :)

I don't know why
    We didn't really discuss the micros. My cancer grew from 1.5cm to 5.3cm in 2 months. Think we all ( my team) just focused on getting quick treatment for the bad boob. We didn't even do chemo or rads to shrink first. Surgery, chemo then rads.
    I didn't relize micros where as nasty as they can be. More prone to cancer. Had no idea and not much time for research. I also have another issue, a very high metabolism. Something to do with my adrenals. Not sure on that yet. Testing resumming now. Katz
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Your story is so like mine, Katz
    I was also Stage 3, IDC with 10/23 nodes involved, ER and PR+, but HER2 neg. My calcifications were so deep too--right up against the chest wall. Biopsy was a nightmare--they couldn't even get close to numbing me enough. I had the lumpectomy and axillary node dis. done Dec. '09. All this was found quite by accident in October '09. Believe it or not, my regular routine mammo in June of '09 was reported as "normal!" I don't really believe it was--especially with all the node involvement--I think maybe they just didn't get a good picture right close to my rib cage. So, now, it makes me very suspicious of getting a "normal" report on a mammo in the future. I see why you're wondering about a mastectomy--it is really scary. I'm done with chemo, and half-way through rads. I worry about the future too.

Renee
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Praising God!
    I am so happy for you! I opted to take out the unaffected one as well...it was a personal decision.

Thanks for this wonderful report and let us know how you're doing!

Love & hugs,

Sylvia