Could I get some pointers?

Options
nancyann3
nancyann3 Member Posts: 173 Member
edited March 2014 in Esophageal Cancer #1
Hubby got a J tube placed on 7/14. Wondering if someone could give me pointers on cleaning and keeping it healthy. The nurse gave some instructions, but thought you guys that have taken care of them at home could give me more. How long do they stay sore?

Thanks for your help
Nancy

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Unknown
    Options
  • nancyann3
    Options
    unknown said:

thanks so much for the pointers
    Steve's tube has a "button" on the outside. I think thats what it is called. Imagine taking a doughnut and putting the outside tube though the whole and the doughnut is stitched to the skin on the belly. It is a clear piece of flexible plastic and I can see the dried blood and discharge under it. The nurse said when he showers he can let the water run over and behind the button to wash it.

As for a pump. We have no pump. This tube is there for backup use, so homehealth wont come and provide formula for back up use. They said I can feed the canned ensure and drinks like that. I use a big syringe and do it very slowly. The nurse showed me how to flush it only and the only instruction she gave me on cleaning what what I mentioned above.

Thanks again
    Nancy
  • Unknown
    Options
  • nancyann3
    Options
    unknown said:

Now I am really confused..
    I was told this is a "J" tube. I was told that they didn't want to do the "G" tube because the stomach was so important for the surgery and they didn't want to put a hole in it. I was told u can feed with it with a pump or by hand. I wish I could see a picture of a J tube......
  • Unknown
    Options
    nancyann3 said:

Now I am really confused..
    I was told this is a "J" tube. I was told that they didn't want to do the "G" tube because the stomach was so important for the surgery and they didn't want to put a hole in it. I was told u can feed with it with a pump or by hand. I wish I could see a picture of a J tube......