I feel like the luckiest person

Snowkitty
Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
O Boy. My daughter-in-law works at the hospital where all my work is done. She was there, along with her mother who also works at the hospital, thru my surgery. DIL saw to it that I had the best anesthesiologist and pre/post op nurses. Also, she works in the department where the ports are done so I really had someone to watch over me.

And she made sure I had lots of coffee after both. Lucky me.

Cindy

Comments

• Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Hi Snowkitty
    It was like having your own personal angels looking over you! Take care. Hugs :>) Jean
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    Lucky
    I know, it sounds odd to say your're lucky when you've just had bc and surgery. People look at me oddly when I say I feel lucky -- early detection, successful surgery, great docs. And you, with your own guardian angel, are indeed lucky. Glad things went well and hope they continue! Mmmm, coffee ...
  • Chickadee1955
    Chickadee1955 Member Posts: 356 Member

Lucky
    I know, it sounds odd to say your're lucky when you've just had bc and surgery. People look at me oddly when I say I feel lucky -- early detection, successful surgery, great docs. And you, with your own guardian angel, are indeed lucky. Glad things went well and hope they continue! Mmmm, coffee ...

Me, too
    I have said from day one that I am blessed. My cancer was found when I did my first ever breast self exam; just 6 months after a clean mammmogram.
    My doctor cut all the red tape and I had my follow up tests, including biopsy, within one week of visiting his office. It was exactly 10 days between when I found the lump and I had a firm diagnosis.
    My PCP, my surgeon, my onc are great. I live about 5 miles from a Cancer Center affiliated with the University of California Davis Medical Center--a great treatment center.
    I am very, very healthy other than the cancer, so no treatments have to be worked around other issues.
    I have the BEST husband in the world. He not only treats me like a queen, waits on me hand & foot, and is ALWAYS understanding, he actually loves to wait on me. I'm kind of independent, so he loves being needed for a change.
    I have health insurance and an employer who told me that I needn't worry when my FMLA job protection expires, because they have no intention of filling my job--it's mine when I'm ready to return. I work from home full time, so when I return I don't need to be concerned about wigs, scarves, etc, unless I want to.
    My cancer is IDC, Stage I, estrogen/progesterone positive, HER2 negative, clean margins, no lymph node involvement.
    I remind myself when I get a little whiny that if I had to have cancer, I am BLESSED to have it under the very best of circumstances. I have also found that looking at my blessings instead of the cancer keeps me positive and more pleasant to be around--for me and others.

Thankful,

Chickadee
  • Hubby
    Hubby Member Posts: 325
    That's so nice
    I am laughing, because I just got through posting a totally opposite story about my mother-in-law.

Glad you have such wonderful support!!!

Bob
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Cindy
    What a blessing and how wonderful it must have been to get that "special" treatment. I'm glad you had a great experience!

Be blessed,
    Sylvia
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    sea60 said:

Cindy
    What a blessing and how wonderful it must have been to get that "special" treatment. I'm glad you had a great experience!

Be blessed,
    Sylvia

Snow .. this is a wonderful .. story I am so
    glad you share it with all of us, here on the board! Special is always a nice way to be treated .. in lieu of 'just being a number'.

We all deserve special treatment, whether at home, doctor's office or hospital.

Vicki Sam
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member

Me, too
    I have said from day one that I am blessed. My cancer was found when I did my first ever breast self exam; just 6 months after a clean mammmogram.
    My doctor cut all the red tape and I had my follow up tests, including biopsy, within one week of visiting his office. It was exactly 10 days between when I found the lump and I had a firm diagnosis.
    My PCP, my surgeon, my onc are great. I live about 5 miles from a Cancer Center affiliated with the University of California Davis Medical Center--a great treatment center.
    I am very, very healthy other than the cancer, so no treatments have to be worked around other issues.
    I have the BEST husband in the world. He not only treats me like a queen, waits on me hand & foot, and is ALWAYS understanding, he actually loves to wait on me. I'm kind of independent, so he loves being needed for a change.
    I have health insurance and an employer who told me that I needn't worry when my FMLA job protection expires, because they have no intention of filling my job--it's mine when I'm ready to return. I work from home full time, so when I return I don't need to be concerned about wigs, scarves, etc, unless I want to.
    My cancer is IDC, Stage I, estrogen/progesterone positive, HER2 negative, clean margins, no lymph node involvement.
    I remind myself when I get a little whiny that if I had to have cancer, I am BLESSED to have it under the very best of circumstances. I have also found that looking at my blessings instead of the cancer keeps me positive and more pleasant to be around--for me and others.

Thankful,

Chickadee

Chickadee - I'm your "neighbor"
    I'm receiving care at UCD Cancer Center, too. In fact, I'm on my way there in about an hour to meet with the nurse about starting my chemotherapy. Where are you in your journey/treatments?

Contact me privately at srmink@pacbell.net if you'd like to chat more about our common ground. It sounds like our cancers are even the same "brand"! I live in Woodland.

Suzanne
  • bbay65
    bbay65 Member Posts: 4
    VickiSam said:

Snow .. this is a wonderful .. story I am so
    glad you share it with all of us, here on the board! Special is always a nice way to be treated .. in lieu of 'just being a number'.

We all deserve special treatment, whether at home, doctor's office or hospital.

Vicki Sam

Hi
    Wow, one of us. Not a group I would have wanted to join. Thanks for your stories. I knew I was not alone. If I was, Dana Farber could go out of business. (Hope). But, it is cool to hear such similar stories. My husband and family are the greatest (my sons clean their rooms now?!). But, it is comforting to hear your stories. I knew I wasn't the only one with this cancer to conquer. But, I bypass people in the office. Maybe I should be more talkative. But, I get so quiet when I am there. Maybe it is the long ride in. To be honest, I kinda enjoy the quiet. Wish I had ac during the heat wave. I put my hair back and drove fast. Grateful that I have my hair. My treatment will start on July 27th. Because I have some kind of heart problem, I am getting CMF treatments every 3 weeks for 6 treatments. Sorry, I rambled on. I am new at this. Anyone out there with experience with this treatment. Or any Moms who need to vent? Anyone scared? I'll be here. Thanks for listening. Patty C