anyone been diagnosed her2/neu positive?

pie
pie Member Posts: 19
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have recently been diagnosed with bc and the test for the her2/neu protein was positive. Anyone being treated for this? I am really scared. Can anyone help me with information?

Comments

• Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Hey Pie
    I am her2 pos. This is really a good thing because they have medication for this. It is called Herceptin. This will be done like chemo ( but it's not a chemo drug )through IV for 1 year. It is not bad at all. I started herceptin when I started Taxol. Both drugs were given to me at the same time. When I was done with Chemo I continued with herceptin. I would have my treatment every 3 weeks. I am still in treatment for this until September. Try not to be scared, this treatment is really pretty easy, long, but easy or at least is is for me.
  • chriskaput
    chriskaput Member Posts: 109
    Her positive
    I'm about to start Taxol/Herceptin (hormone drug) on Monday. Taxol will bee weekly for 3 mos. and herceptin through IV for 1 yr. I hope it is easier than the agressive chemo I have been getting for the past 4 sessions (AC)! I am told it is. good luck
  • pie
    pie Member Posts: 19
    Kat11 said:

Hey Pie
    I am her2 pos. This is really a good thing because they have medication for this. It is called Herceptin. This will be done like chemo ( but it's not a chemo drug )through IV for 1 year. It is not bad at all. I started herceptin when I started Taxol. Both drugs were given to me at the same time. When I was done with Chemo I continued with herceptin. I would have my treatment every 3 weeks. I am still in treatment for this until September. Try not to be scared, this treatment is really pretty easy, long, but easy or at least is is for me.

heart involvement
    Thanks, Kat. I had a heart attack 5 years ago. I understand that Herceptin is hard on the heart? Any doctor speak with you about this?
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member

Her positive
    I'm about to start Taxol/Herceptin (hormone drug) on Monday. Taxol will bee weekly for 3 mos. and herceptin through IV for 1 yr. I hope it is easier than the agressive chemo I have been getting for the past 4 sessions (AC)! I am told it is. good luck

PIE
    Before starting on Herceptin I had to have an EKG and an Echocardiogram to make sure my heart was strong enough. Then every 3 months, in order to continue with it, they have to do another Echo or a Muga Scan. I've never had a heart problem but these tests are a part of the routine while on Herceptin.

I am HER2 positive with protein (not hormone) receptors. I had weekly Taxol and Herceptin for 10 weeks with Zometa every 4 weeks. Now I've had an equal number of weeks with just Herceptin and Zometa. Mine will be ongoing because I am Stage IV with mets to the lymph nodes, liver, bones, and skin. Hopefully your treatment won't be so long. Best wishes. MM
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769

PIE
    Before starting on Herceptin I had to have an EKG and an Echocardiogram to make sure my heart was strong enough. Then every 3 months, in order to continue with it, they have to do another Echo or a Muga Scan. I've never had a heart problem but these tests are a part of the routine while on Herceptin.

I am HER2 positive with protein (not hormone) receptors. I had weekly Taxol and Herceptin for 10 weeks with Zometa every 4 weeks. Now I've had an equal number of weeks with just Herceptin and Zometa. Mine will be ongoing because I am Stage IV with mets to the lymph nodes, liver, bones, and skin. Hopefully your treatment won't be so long. Best wishes. MM

Pie
    I am HER2 positive as well. I did not have heart problems before starting chemo or Herceptin--I am monitored every three months and sometimes more often depending on the echocardiogram. I have had to take vacations/breaks from the Herceptin to get the heart stronger--well worth it.
    Your doctor may monitor you more closely.
    I will finish my Herceptin treatment if everything goes well with my heart mid-October.

Margo
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member

Pie
    I am HER2 positive as well. I did not have heart problems before starting chemo or Herceptin--I am monitored every three months and sometimes more often depending on the echocardiogram. I have had to take vacations/breaks from the Herceptin to get the heart stronger--well worth it.
    Your doctor may monitor you more closely.
    I will finish my Herceptin treatment if everything goes well with my heart mid-October.

Margo

Yes Pie, the doctor did talk
    Yes Pie, the doctor did talk with me about heart problems. I also have a echocardiogram every two months. I have not had to stop treatment. They will watch you.
  • anitap1
    anitap1 Member Posts: 25
    HER/new 2+
    My initial pathology report was 2+ for this. I have been waiting 4 weeks (since surgery) for the FISH results. Finally, Friday I called Vanderbilt lab and they had no records of me. I called the surgeon's office and his nurse called back later in the day. She called Vanderbilt and they told her the lab they had sent the tissue to. The second lab said Vanderbilt had not sent enough tissue BUT the lab hadn't bothered to call anyone. The nurse called back today to tell me that more tissue was located at Vanderbilt and it had been sent to the lab. I go to the oncologist Monday. I talked to an oncologist before my surgery when I had the initial pathology report. He said he felt sure I would need the chemo. My lymph nodes were clear and the second breast was cancer free. I am not scared but I am really upset over this delay. I wanted to have everything in place before I started back to school. We begin school Aug. 2.
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Yes Pie, me
    Pie, it's ok to be scared at the beginning but please don't let
    fear rule your decision for treatment. I don't know how old you
    are bur I am in my thirties and my doctor said it is more aggressive
    in younger women.

You will get treated with Herceptin, it has proven great results.
    We are lucky to have it. So please don't be too scared.

Ayse
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    aysemari said:

Yes Pie, me
    Pie, it's ok to be scared at the beginning but please don't let
    fear rule your decision for treatment. I don't know how old you
    are bur I am in my thirties and my doctor said it is more aggressive
    in younger women.

You will get treated with Herceptin, it has proven great results.
    We are lucky to have it. So please don't be too scared.

Ayse

Pie .. I too am Her2neu - Positive and like Kat11 and
    Tolmassina .. Herceptin is given to me (now) 1 time every 3 weeks. Echo's are a must every 3 months.

Her2 is very aggressive in younger women, so hence the 1 year of Herceptin treatments. Side efforts are limited - NO HAIR LOSS -

Please take some time to read, research Her2 - positive ..

Vicki Sam
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Hi Pie
    I am also HER+. I have four rounds of chemo (2nd was today), along with the herceptin. Then after the chemo is done I will have the herceptin for a year. Like the others stated, I had an echo cardiogram before I began and every so often during the herceptin treatments. Herceptin isn't a chemo. Good luck to you. Hugs :>) Jean