biopsy of lumpectomy

pie
pie Member Posts: 19
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
After the lump is removed by surgery, does the pathologist test for everything that was tested in the original biopsy? Her2? Estrogen and Progesterone? Stage? Grade? Are these results used to determine therapy?

Comments

• cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    I didn't
    I didn't have a lumpectomy but did have bilateral mastectomies. At my 1 week post op (2 weeks ago) my surgeon went over the whole pathology report. It described everything that my surgeon had removed. I don't remember it mentioning again the ER, PR or HER2. It does give Stage and grade though. Before surgery my surgeon said I would need both chemo and rads. Because my lymph nodes were negative and he felt everything had been removed he no longer thinks I need either. I see my oncologist next week to find out for sure. I will however be taking an oral pill for about 5 years.
    Char
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    I would imagine so
    But DO call the office to find out!

Praying all goes well...

Sylvia
  • QuiltingMama123
    QuiltingMama123 Member Posts: 124
    Path Report
    Mine did - got the results today. Good luck!
  • Hope 2010
    Hope 2010 Member Posts: 62
    Definitely call your docs
    Definitely call your docs office to find out what will be on the report. I had a lump on 6/21 and a week post op my surgeon went over the pathology results. (actually he called me as soon as he got the results to tell me about my lymph nodes - neg).

On mine, they provided what was taken out, how much clearance, status of my lymph nodes, stage and grade. Based on that info, my surgeon only recommended rads, only because one section was very close to my chest wall and although he got clear margins, it was less than what he would have liked. He did not recommend chemo because my nodes were neg.

After visting with the rad onco, I decided to met with an oncologist. He recommended the Oncotest DX just to determine if chemo would help.

Hope all goes well with you.

Patty
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    sea60 said:

I would imagine so
    But DO call the office to find out!

Praying all goes well...

Sylvia

I think so too, but, check
    I think so too, but, check with your oncologist and plastic surgeon. When do you see them again

Hugs, Megan
  • Hubby
    Hubby Member Posts: 325
    They Re-do Everything (at least they did with my wife)
    They do an entirely new pathology on the tumor and most of the time it is the same as the original pathology, but as in my wife's case, it can change. They will also give you a final stage of cancer, check for clear margins and do a more thorough pathology of the sentinal nodes. And depending on what they find, they may want to send it out to Oncotype for further analysis.

Good Luck with the pathology.

Bob