Feelin' GOOD! I bucked hay yesterday!

Rague
Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
(For those who are non-horsey/non ranchers - 'bucking hay' is loading hay bales on 'something' [truck/trailer] in the field.)

We only got 22 bales (60 - 70 lbs per bale) yesterday (2 weeks supply) which really isn't anything when you own horses that you take care of yourself. There is no way I would be 'bragging' about doing that few bales or not doing it all myself anywhere except here. BUT I'm going to 'brag' anyway here as I think some will understand how great it was to be able to do even that little bit after the last year's 'happenings'.

Hubby did do the heaviest of the work as he pitched the bales in the back of truck but I was in the bed stacking them. We got home and he unloaded them onto the pallets we keep them on and I stacked them.

Isn't so fantastic to be able to get back to doing at least some of what you used to do and feel good about doing it!

So what are ya'll doing that is making you feel good? It's not what it is (I really doubt anyone else [or very few] have ever bucked hay or thought about/wanted to) - it's about getting back to what is your LIFE!

So let's hear!

Susan

Comments

• Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    OMG I am impressed!
    Susan, you're blowing my mind with all this hay-bucking! You are so right about how wonderful it is (will be) to be able to do physical activities again. I've started walking and it's amazing, just feeling my muscles working. You give me hope that, eventually, I'll be back to my running. It feels closer every day.
  • heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    believe it or not. . .
    when we moved from chicago to wisconsin, it was still a very rural area (where i still live) - and yes, i had the "pleasure" of helping a very cute guy with haying - i only did it because he was cute and a friend of my brother. my brother and i did what you did, stacking the bales. once was enough for me!
  • Rague

OMG I am impressed!
    Susan, you're blowing my mind with all this hay-bucking! You are so right about how wonderful it is (will be) to be able to do physical activities again. I've started walking and it's amazing, just feeling my muscles working. You give me hope that, eventually, I'll be back to my running. It feels closer every day.

Enojoy getting back to running -

I haven't run since I got out of the Army but I know for so many it is a fantastic natural HIGH - just not me. I'll ride (horses) - I'll walk - I'll bike - but run/jog - NO WAY JOSE for me!

You'll be running again - it may take more time than you really want it to but You Wlll Do it again. As hard as it is, we have to learn to take one step at a time and revel in what some may consider small steps - for us every step is a huge leap.
  • Rague
    heidijez said:

believe it or not. . .
    when we moved from chicago to wisconsin, it was still a very rural area (where i still live) - and yes, i had the "pleasure" of helping a very cute guy with haying - i only did it because he was cute and a friend of my brother. my brother and i did what you did, stacking the bales. once was enough for me!

I have to laugh -
    Sons (now in early 30's) grew up with horses - there have been so many times that they went out and bucked hay for cute girls - of course after they had done our hay (LOL).
  • Christine Louise
    Wow, I just remembered one of my Dad's stories from when he was growing up before the Depression. Tiny Kansas town, boys bucking hay, hot and sweaty -- so they took off their itchy, hot shirts. Out comes the sheriff, ordering them to cease being obscene -- half nekkid -- or he'd haul them to jail! Oh, they weren't allowed to dance in that town, either. Thanks for helping me recall his stories. Sweet Dad.
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    This sounds strange but I
    This sounds strange but I can read again...my son got me a nook or ereader. I gave up reading because I couldn't hold the book still unless I laid it on a table. I have hand tremors from Parkinson's. Plus you can increase the font size. Pages were hard to turn and now I just press a button. :>)
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Go you!!
    So glad to hear you're getting back to "normal" activity. Especially something as physical as "bucking hay".

I just remember after each of my surgeries, just getting rid of the drains and taking a normal shower felt good!

Who would have thought something so simple would feel so liberating??

Glad you're feeling good!

Blessings,

Sylvia
  • Christine Louise
    Marcia527 said:

This sounds strange but I
    This sounds strange but I can read again...my son got me a nook or ereader. I gave up reading because I couldn't hold the book still unless I laid it on a table. I have hand tremors from Parkinson's. Plus you can increase the font size. Pages were hard to turn and now I just press a button. :>)

Wonderful
    How satisfying this must be. My niece got one and loves it. You have a good son!
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Woohoo! You go girl!
    I couldn't buck hay before bc. You are one tough cookie!

Sue
  • QuiltingMama123
    QuiltingMama123 Member Posts: 124
    You are an inspiration!
    I am proud of emptying the dishwasher and doing the handwash today after my lumpectomy on Friday. You all were 100% correct - the underarm incision HURTS.

I am truly impressed with you bucking the hay. It's the little pieces of "normalcy" that are true victories, aren't they?
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

You are an inspiration!
    I am proud of emptying the dishwasher and doing the handwash today after my lumpectomy on Friday. You all were 100% correct - the underarm incision HURTS.

I am truly impressed with you bucking the hay. It's the little pieces of "normalcy" that are true victories, aren't they?

Wow .. You ARE my HERO ... how wonderful
    does it feel to get back to doing something normal ? I don't know yet .. but I hope to be getting there soon.

The story about your boy's gave me a chuckle .. true to form, does'nt matter what part of the county your from .. kids will be kids.

Vicki SAm