First chemo today

Jama Sue
Jama Sue Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
BC modified radical mastectomy,today was first day of chemo,cytoxin/ taxotere.Day went wonderful until I got home,2and a half hours later I thought I was in labor(at 58 that might have upset me)then the vomiting,but if this is the worst of it.Water isn`t even staying down this evening,any suggestions?Dr.Gave me 2 anti nausea pills,plus the one in the drip today,is it normal to still be this yucky?

Comments

• Snowkitty
    Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
    Hmmm. I didn't have any
    Hmmm. I didn't have any nausea till the 3rd day. That vomiting is the pits. Keep drinking even tho it comes back up & the water tastes like crap. I was able to stomach ginger ale and coke (not diet). I think the throwing up is your body wanting to get rid of the stuff they put in. My nausea only lasted 1/2 a day. Hope yours is gone tomorrow. If not call for refill on pills.

Good luck
    Cindy
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    Checked with doctor yet?
    Can you call the doctor-on-call where you got chemo and ask about it? In my experience and from what I read on this discussion board, that nausea is not the norm. Have you taken the pills with some food? I tried to never let my stomach get empty after chemo -- a little food every couple hours. I would say to take Benedryl, but I think it would be best to check with the doctor. Hope you get relief SOON, Jama Sue!
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    I took Emend before the Chemo infusion
    and then I had anti-nausea in the drip and that seemed to work. Like Cindy said, on the 3rd day my tummy felt yucky.

But if the vomiting is that bad, call your doctor.

Praying for you,

Sylvia
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    sea60 said:

I took Emend before the Chemo infusion
    and then I had anti-nausea in the drip and that seemed to work. Like Cindy said, on the 3rd day my tummy felt yucky.

But if the vomiting is that bad, call your doctor.

Praying for you,

Sylvia

Please call your doctor now
    Jama Sue, vomiting and pain like you're describing are not normal -- the anti-nausea meds usually mostly take care of that. And hydration is really, really important after chemo. If you can't even keep water down, please call your doctor's office right away.

Please let us know what they say, and how you're doing.

Traci
  • Jama Sue
    TraciInLA said:

Please call your doctor now
    Jama Sue, vomiting and pain like you're describing are not normal -- the anti-nausea meds usually mostly take care of that. And hydration is really, really important after chemo. If you can't even keep water down, please call your doctor's office right away.

Please let us know what they say, and how you're doing.

Traci

Cinnamin Grahms
    I really, really appreciate all of your responses.At 9:10 I ate very slowly 2 cinnamin grahm crackers and half glass of water,so far so good.Feeling more like myself.If I even start to get the "labor pains" again I`m calling the doc for sure.Again thanks for taking the time to respond,it helped calm me down knowing you are all here if I need you.
  • Snowkitty
    Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
    Jama Sue said:

Cinnamin Grahms
    I really, really appreciate all of your responses.At 9:10 I ate very slowly 2 cinnamin grahm crackers and half glass of water,so far so good.Feeling more like myself.If I even start to get the "labor pains" again I`m calling the doc for sure.Again thanks for taking the time to respond,it helped calm me down knowing you are all here if I need you.

The ladies here are
    The ladies here are absolutely right about calling doc.

BTW, for the first couple days the only thing I wanted to eat was baby red potatoes, nuked & mashed. And a bit of macaroni & cheese.

Cindy
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Jama Sue said:

Cinnamin Grahms

One thing I'll add
    Jama Sue, I'll add that I also did Taxotere/Cytoxan, and, after my 1st round, I had gastrointestinal problems that weren't even as bad as what you're describing -- when my doctor found out, he was angry with me that I didn't call him. He changed my meds, and I'm telling you, the angels sang -- they really do have a lot of different meds to try, there's no reason you should suffer like that.

Even if you're doing okay now, please call your doctor's office in the morning, to let them know how you reacted and check in with them.

Take good care, and rest well,

Traci
  • Jama Sue
    TraciInLA said:

One thing I'll add
    Jama Sue, I'll add that I also did Taxotere/Cytoxan, and, after my 1st round, I had gastrointestinal problems that weren't even as bad as what you're describing -- when my doctor found out, he was angry with me that I didn't call him. He changed my meds, and I'm telling you, the angels sang -- they really do have a lot of different meds to try, there's no reason you should suffer like that.

Even if you're doing okay now, please call your doctor's office in the morning, to let them know how you reacted and check in with them.

Take good care, and rest well,

Traci

doc to be called
    Traci I promise that first thing in the morning I will make that call and let them know what happened,eapecially the pain.Thanks again Tracie and God bless.I`ll let you all know what the doc says.
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Jama Sue said:

doc to be called
    Traci I promise that first thing in the morning I will make that call and let them know what happened,eapecially the pain.Thanks again Tracie and God bless.I`ll let you all know what the doc says.

I cannot add anything new to
    I cannot add anything new to what these wonderful ladies have said, I did the same meds but did not have these probs. Just wanted to say I hope you feel better and wish you well God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

I cannot add anything new to
    I cannot add anything new to what these wonderful ladies have said, I did the same meds but did not have these probs. Just wanted to say I hope you feel better and wish you well God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice

I also took Emend -- before my chemo started and
    another medication when I arrived home - every 4 hours for 3 days after each chemo. Your Onc and his staff do not want you to suffer .. please write down systoms and call them. No need to suffer more than we have to. Believe me - so many of us have walked down this path call chemo - and all we want for you is strength, calminess and rest.

Vicki Sam