Getting a Port in Wednesday

Snowkitty
Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
During 1st out of 4 chemos, nurse said I should get a port because of crappy veins. So, even with only 3 to go, port goes in a week before my 2nd chemo. I'm kinda glad because of the 3 different site attempts didn't feel so good and they finally had to do it on the inside crook of arm.

Being you ladies are spot on so far with all the advice and what can be expected (right down to if you get sick after chemo, what day will it be)I was just wondering what I can expect after port. I didn't realize it was such a big deal...5 hour stay at clinic, including pre & post. Are you guys glad if you got a port? Or glad you didn't?

Thanks,

Cindy

Comments

• missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    So Glad to have a Port
    Hi Cindy--I've had my port since January--had 6 chemo sessions with it and am so glad. It was a little tender a couple of days after insertion. Then I felt a little pinching every once in a while when I moved different ways. However, I'm so used to it now. I'm in the middle of radiation and my surgeon likes to leave it in until radiation is over also, so I'll have it removed in August. For me, having it has been a blessing.

Good luck, Hugs, Renee
  • canoegirl
    canoegirl Member Posts: 169
    Glad I got the port
    Hi Cindy,

I am glad I got the port...always had bad veins and now can't use the better of the two arms. I had my port and first chemo on the same day with no problems (other than major stress!) Because I often go to sleep with minor sedation, and didn't want to miss chemo, they went really light and I was awake through the entire procedure. Turned out to be no big deal. The place I went for the port was wonderful!

Good luck! I think you'll be glad you got the port!
    Hugs,
    Marcy
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    I was
    My Dad used the veins on his arms when he went through Chemo for Colon cancer and it just totally ruined them.

I had just a little discomfort (since it's a foreign object your body has to get used to), but then it was fine. Glad I did it!

Praying all goes well Cindy,

Sylvia
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Great veins - have port
    I've got great veins and I want to keep them so I never thought about doing Chemo without a port. Mine was put in Aug 25 2009 and I started chemo the next day - it will stay in for at least a year and probably longer. I'm IBC so my Drs. want me to leave it in for at least a year after Chemo 'just in case'. Makes sense to me to keep it in for a while at least so it stays for now - maybe years.

I never got 'sick' as in nausea with either A/C or Taxol. With A/C, I was tired for 2 days starting 2 day after infusion. It was 'tired' and napping/resting helped. Hair left, eyes and nose ran like a faucet turned on. Lost taste and appetite (still hae not gotten appetite back) With the weekly 12 Taxol I was utterly/completely exhausted the day after and only started feeling a littl bit better the day before the next one. Eyes and nose quite 'running' though.

We are each so unique - you can't expect to experience any or all of what each of us have.

Susan
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Rague said:

Great veins - have port
    I've got great veins and I want to keep them so I never thought about doing Chemo without a port. Mine was put in Aug 25 2009 and I started chemo the next day - it will stay in for at least a year and probably longer. I'm IBC so my Drs. want me to leave it in for at least a year after Chemo 'just in case'. Makes sense to me to keep it in for a while at least so it stays for now - maybe years.

I never got 'sick' as in nausea with either A/C or Taxol. With A/C, I was tired for 2 days starting 2 day after infusion. It was 'tired' and napping/resting helped. Hair left, eyes and nose ran like a faucet turned on. Lost taste and appetite (still hae not gotten appetite back) With the weekly 12 Taxol I was utterly/completely exhausted the day after and only started feeling a littl bit better the day before the next one. Eyes and nose quite 'running' though.

We are each so unique - you can't expect to experience any or all of what each of us have.

Susan

I have my port a year now
    I have my port a year now and i am sooo glad to have it. My veins are really bad to get. For Chemo, there is some very good anti nausea drugs out there. I was put on a drug called Emend for AC and this was a great help for me. I did not need this drug for taxol. I did have problems with some foods, taste changed. I almost forgot about my eyes running and nose. This was a pain, but doable.
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Kat11 said:

I have my port a year now
    I have my port a year now and i am sooo glad to have it. My veins are really bad to get. For Chemo, there is some very good anti nausea drugs out there. I was put on a drug called Emend for AC and this was a great help for me. I did not need this drug for taxol. I did have problems with some foods, taste changed. I almost forgot about my eyes running and nose. This was a pain, but doable.

I am happy I have a port as
    I am happy I have a port as my veins are very thin, I have had my port for 2 years now and I don't even know it is there. I did feel it at first, mostly a pinching. I am in chemo for the second time, Taxol and Herceptin. I am tired, but i do not have much nausea. They also use my port for blood draws.
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Ports
    I had mine put in a week before my first chemo and was happy with it throughout the process. It worked like a charm and I even kept it in for my first Zometa treatment after radiation ended. I never even noticed it and was glad that my veins would not have to go through all that trauma. I also have nonexistant veins, so it was a good idea. I had mine taken out last year. Good luck with it.

Mimi
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    mimivac said:

Ports
    I had mine put in a week before my first chemo and was happy with it throughout the process. It worked like a charm and I even kept it in for my first Zometa treatment after radiation ended. I never even noticed it and was glad that my veins would not have to go through all that trauma. I also have nonexistant veins, so it was a good idea. I had mine taken out last year. Good luck with it.

Mimi

I did not have a port, at
    I did not have a port, at the time it was not suggested and I didnt want one. In retrospect I could have used it, towards the end I had to have the"best " Iv nurse put in my IV and it sometimes took a 2-3 tries. I dont think my veins will ever be the same. anyhow best of luck, I am sure you will be glad you have it.
  • heidijez
    heidijez Member Posts: 441
    got my port on june 10
    went through first round of chemo december through april without a port - it was doable except for the third one where the chemo nurse had a horrible time getting the iv started - poked me in 4 different places before asking one of the other nurses to do it (she got it on the first try).

when we discovered that chemo didn't work and that my cancer had spread, new oncologist decided i should have a port. i had the port put in early in the morning and had chemo the same day - my only complication was that the person ahead of me had a problem, so it delayed my surgery by a couple of hours (which then affected my oncology appt and chemo start time). i've had one other chemo since that day - and have to admit it was so easy to have the labs and chemo through the port. there was a little discomfort the first week - but i feel it was more due to the steri-strips pulling and the fact that it was in the 90s! once those strips came off, i almost forgot i have the port!

so in answer to your question, i guess i would have to say i am glad i have a port this time around. i hope you will agree when you get yours. good luck to you!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    heidijez said:

got my port on june 10
    went through first round of chemo december through april without a port - it was doable except for the third one where the chemo nurse had a horrible time getting the iv started - poked me in 4 different places before asking one of the other nurses to do it (she got it on the first try).

when we discovered that chemo didn't work and that my cancer had spread, new oncologist decided i should have a port. i had the port put in early in the morning and had chemo the same day - my only complication was that the person ahead of me had a problem, so it delayed my surgery by a couple of hours (which then affected my oncology appt and chemo start time). i've had one other chemo since that day - and have to admit it was so easy to have the labs and chemo through the port. there was a little discomfort the first week - but i feel it was more due to the steri-strips pulling and the fact that it was in the 90s! once those strips came off, i almost forgot i have the port!

so in answer to your question, i guess i would have to say i am glad i have a port this time around. i hope you will agree when you get yours. good luck to you!

Same experience as Kat11 -- I did not have any ez time
    with my port installation -- etc .. but I am so glad I have it .. no question about it. Save me and the nursing staff -- wear and tear as my veins are deep below my skin - and let's face it -- who wants to be poked 3 times by anyone looking to draw blood ?

Vicki Sam
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    meena1 said:

I am happy I have a port as
    I am happy I have a port as my veins are very thin, I have had my port for 2 years now and I don't even know it is there. I did feel it at first, mostly a pinching. I am in chemo for the second time, Taxol and Herceptin. I am tired, but i do not have much nausea. They also use my port for blood draws.

My surgeon said that port
    My surgeon said that port could and probably would be used for blood draws and dye injection but none of my draws have been done through it. I was told that the techs can't do draws from ports, that it takes an RN to access it. For me and my veins - I must admit that it is a lot quicker and easier to just hit the vein for routine draws than it would be to have to flush port each time. (The guy at VA that often does my draws always tells me that I don't have the veins of a 64 y/o, 5'6", 135 lb woman - I must have 'stolen' them from some big buff man. OH well - I intend to do all I can to keep them - hence the port for chemo.)

The only time mine has been accessed (other than chemo and monthly flushes), was at the local hospital for a CT Scan - I really think that they just wanted to do a teaching session as there were a whole bunch that came in to watch it be used. It was like the Keystone Kops (many of you are too young to remember the Keystone Kops). They did get the dye in but then had to call back to the CCI about what to do after the scan - I had a chemo scheduled immediately after the scan (well actually it had been posponed to allow the scan), the CCI and Hospital are connected buildings so Chemo said to just send me on down and they would take care of it. That was when i found out that accessing the port without a numbing agent HURT a lot. The CCI had numbing spray and it wasn't bad at all, the scan did not have any - It HURT. Since I've been having flushes done at the VA clinic and my PA gave me cream (mine's generic) I don't even feel a prick like with the spray. I've also had several other scans since the port was in both at a local Radiology (not hospital) and at VA and they just use vein for the dye.

Didn't use port during surgery either - said that veins were good so no reason not to use them during surgery and it's easier to DC for the floor nurses in the vein than in the port.

Susan
  • Pinkpower
    Pinkpower Member Posts: 437
    I have to say that even
    I have to say that even though it is still hard for me to sleep on my left side due to the port, its very uncomfortable for me, I'm glad I had it put in for the chemo.
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Hi Cindy,
    I love my port. Even though I only have 4 chemo treatments, I have to take Herceptin for a year. My oncologist didn't want to wear out the veins on my right arm, since they can't use the left because of my mastectomy. Good luck. Hugs :>) Jean
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    Jean 0609 said:

Hi Cindy,
    I love my port. Even though I only have 4 chemo treatments, I have to take Herceptin for a year. My oncologist didn't want to wear out the veins on my right arm, since they can't use the left because of my mastectomy. Good luck. Hugs :>) Jean

Cindy
    Like you, i didnt have a port for my first chemo. They had to stick me so many times and almost gave up and the last chance they were going to take, they found a vein. I then was told i needed to get the port. To me, it was a lot easier. You dont have alot of pain after they put it in. Its just more convenient too. Hope it goes well.
    Laura
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Pinkpower said:

I have to say that even
    I have to say that even though it is still hard for me to sleep on my left side due to the port, its very uncomfortable for me, I'm glad I had it put in for the chemo.

I didn't have one, but, want
    I didn't have one, but, want to wish you good luck Cindy.

Hugs, Angie
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Yes, I have a port too. I
    Yes, I have a port too. I highly recommend it for those undergoing chemo. Mine will be in use for a year due to Herceptin. September will be my last infusion and then it will be taken out-Yippee! The port definitely made infusions a breeze. I hope you have an uneventful surgery.

Best of luck with your journey.
    BL
  • laurissa
    laurissa Member Posts: 773
    I have a port too
    For me it was a painful recovery, lasted about a week of swelling and bruising. Looked really bad for awhile. But it was better than getting an IV each time. I'll have it at least another year for Zometa monthly infusion. I hope you're doing ok with yours.