July Surgeries - exchanging "Expanders" ??? I seem to recall ..... there are several of us schedule

13»

Comments

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

I'm sorry too, Kim.
    Please

I'm sorry too, Kim.

Please check out the board 'exchange city' on breastcancer.org.
    http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topic/728266

What you're experiencing is not uncommon.

Hang in there. It CAN and DOES get better.

dh

Dawne .. thank you for posting this site .. I'm loggin on
    as soon as I finish this post.

Everyone .. A BIG thank you for all your prayers and support ... and information.

Vicki
  • youngnana
    youngnana Member Posts: 41
    Exchange done July 7th
    Day surgery, my right expander was up too high, so when he placed the implant, that side still wanted to ride up, so he had to cut the muscle and stitch the implant down. I do have to wear a bra 24 hours a day for the next 2 weeks, and I also wear a binder, a strechy band around the back and over the breast to hold the right side down where it belongs until its healed. I will say, trying on bras was not a good experience. The nurse advised me to get the cups to fit like I want them, get the bra smaller around and use an expander. When you get the bras larger around, the cups are spaced farther apart....Also, keep in mind, bras are made to lift and separate, and if you want cleavage, that wont work...you need underwires to help that, and cant have underwires. So, I am going for comfort. I find I cant wear regular bras for very long, they are painful across my ribcage. The implants are wonderful, and I am so happy with how they look, and feel. I have taken pain meds at bedtime, the muscles are painful on my right side, so meds help me to sleep. Dont need any meds when I'm up, no pain. One more step... done.
  • VickiSam
    youngnana said:

Exchange done July 7th
    Day surgery, my right expander was up too high, so when he placed the implant, that side still wanted to ride up, so he had to cut the muscle and stitch the implant down. I do have to wear a bra 24 hours a day for the next 2 weeks, and I also wear a binder, a strechy band around the back and over the breast to hold the right side down where it belongs until its healed. I will say, trying on bras was not a good experience. The nurse advised me to get the cups to fit like I want them, get the bra smaller around and use an expander. When you get the bras larger around, the cups are spaced farther apart....Also, keep in mind, bras are made to lift and separate, and if you want cleavage, that wont work...you need underwires to help that, and cant have underwires. So, I am going for comfort. I find I cant wear regular bras for very long, they are painful across my ribcage. The implants are wonderful, and I am so happy with how they look, and feel. I have taken pain meds at bedtime, the muscles are painful on my right side, so meds help me to sleep. Dont need any meds when I'm up, no pain. One more step... done.

youngnana -- Thanks for the very valuable
    information.

I am thinking about the underwire bra's .. Ouch, just thinking about them pushing up on all my raw and moved around muscle tissue ...

Small bras to fit new implants, another great idea.

I am so happy about your positive experience.

Vicki Sam
  • Dot53
    Dot53 Member Posts: 239 Member
    I am so envious of all of
    I am so envious of all of you who getting their expanders out soon... mine have been in since Dec and won't come out until Sept 27th... did any of have pain in certain areas with the expanders? My left was hurting for days and now the right is... its a burning kind of hurt... wondering if I am sleeping wrong???

My thoughts and prayers will be with all of you during your upcoming surgeries....

Best,
    Dot
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    youngnana said:

Exchange done July 7th

Congrats, youngnana!
    I got my implants July 7, too. Feeling less swollen and generally better every day. You received better info about bras than I did -- I got none, basically. I was so uncomfortable the first couple days that I assumed I needed a bigger bra or camisole.

I'm happy you are pleased with the implants and that you are feeling so fine!
  • Christine Louise
    Dot53 said:

I am so envious of all of
    I am so envious of all of you who getting their expanders out soon... mine have been in since Dec and won't come out until Sept 27th... did any of have pain in certain areas with the expanders? My left was hurting for days and now the right is... its a burning kind of hurt... wondering if I am sleeping wrong???

My thoughts and prayers will be with all of you during your upcoming surgeries....

Best,
    Dot

To Dot
    Yes, I had a fair amount of discomfort with the expanders. Unlike some others, I found almost any exercise at all hurt more than helped me. Housework, too, could set off pain for a couple days. So, just had to be patient and take it easy. (And have a dirty house sometimes.

Sleeping wrong is certainly possible, I found. If I slept too much/too heavily on my sides, squashing the expanders, they would hurt the next day.

Did you have nodes removed, and could those areas be causing discomfort? My expanders seemed to cut into the deep node-removal scars. Valium helped with muscle spasms while the expanders were stretching the pectorals. I felt that the spasms pulled the expanders into the tight, scarred underarms. Are you taking Tylenol or something when you start hurting?

Thanks for your kind thoughts. Soon we'll be celebrating your implants, too!
  • Dot53

To Dot
    Yes, I had a fair amount of discomfort with the expanders. Unlike some others, I found almost any exercise at all hurt more than helped me. Housework, too, could set off pain for a couple days. So, just had to be patient and take it easy. (And have a dirty house sometimes.

Sleeping wrong is certainly possible, I found. If I slept too much/too heavily on my sides, squashing the expanders, they would hurt the next day.

Did you have nodes removed, and could those areas be causing discomfort? My expanders seemed to cut into the deep node-removal scars. Valium helped with muscle spasms while the expanders were stretching the pectorals. I felt that the spasms pulled the expanders into the tight, scarred underarms. Are you taking Tylenol or something when you start hurting?

Thanks for your kind thoughts. Soon we'll be celebrating your implants, too!

Hi Christine
    Thanks for responding... it is reassuring to know I am not alone, although I am sorry there are so many others going through this too. I only had the four auxiliary nodes removed so I don't know if that would matter or not. I didn't know about the muscle spasms or the housework either... I take Aleve once in a while to stop the pain but most times I just try to work through it.... today my breasts feel hot to the touch.. does that happen to you too?

Best,
    Dot
  • Christine Louise
    Dot53 said:

Hi Christine
    Thanks for responding... it is reassuring to know I am not alone, although I am sorry there are so many others going through this too. I only had the four auxiliary nodes removed so I don't know if that would matter or not. I didn't know about the muscle spasms or the housework either... I take Aleve once in a while to stop the pain but most times I just try to work through it.... today my breasts feel hot to the touch.. does that happen to you too?

Best,
    Dot

Hot?
    No, I didn't have that with expanders. Are they red? Can you call the plastic surgeon's office and ask a nurse? I do that a lot -- I just like to touch base with them and get reassurance.

(My new implants were hot and red the day after surgery, but the ps nurse told me it was normal. Any fluid would be drawn down by gravity, since it wasn't coming out the incisions. Indeed, it did go away soon.)

I had 4 nodes removed each side, but one side is particularly deep.

Hope you are more comfortable today!
  • Dot53

Hot?
    No, I didn't have that with expanders. Are they red? Can you call the plastic surgeon's office and ask a nurse? I do that a lot -- I just like to touch base with them and get reassurance.

(My new implants were hot and red the day after surgery, but the ps nurse told me it was normal. Any fluid would be drawn down by gravity, since it wasn't coming out the incisions. Indeed, it did go away soon.)

I had 4 nodes removed each side, but one side is particularly deep.

Hope you are more comfortable today!

Hi Again
    No they weren't red but just hot to the touch.. it has happened a few times since my surgery. I am feeling much better today, I slept on my back last night. I have a feeling that sleeping on my side is what is causing my discomfort... thanks for responding..

Dot
  • AngelBaby
    AngelBaby Member Posts: 47
    Dot53 said:

Hi Again
    No they weren't red but just hot to the touch.. it has happened a few times since my surgery. I am feeling much better today, I slept on my back last night. I have a feeling that sleeping on my side is what is causing my discomfort... thanks for responding..

Dot

Me too
    Count me in...I'm going for pre-op on Wednesday with surgery 7/21. I'm a little nervous but you guys have helped me a lot. Thanks girls
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    AngelBaby said:

Me too
    Count me in...I'm going for pre-op on Wednesday with surgery 7/21. I'm a little nervous but you guys have helped me a lot. Thanks girls

Good luck to you angelbaby!
    Good luck to you angelbaby! Sending you prayers and healing thoughts!

Hugs, Megan
  • VickiSam
    Megan M said:

Good luck to you angelbaby!
    Good luck to you angelbaby! Sending you prayers and healing thoughts!

Hugs, Megan

I am so happy that everyone is sharing our
    experiences .. with our expanders and upcoming exchange surgeries. Every experience good or bad, along with helpful hints .. will assist us all in recovering and a step forward to getting back to NORMAL.

Thank you all .. Hugs and prayers

Vicki Sam