Chemo curl is here !

pjdreams
pjdreams Member Posts: 77
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
I finished chemo in January of this year...my hair started growing back in March. At first it was very straight (which is how my hair has been all my life), but in May it started getting very curly ! People keep asking me if I've gotten a perm ! too funny. I've read about chemo curl but wasn't sure if it was real or a myth. I'll try to post a new picture soon. Has anyone else gotten chemo curl ?

Comments

• kathryn1
    kathryn1 Member Posts: 88 Member
    I wish!
    I have a little wave to it, but no curls! Shoot!
  • Tasgirl
    Tasgirl Member Posts: 85
    I grew up with curly/frizzy
    I grew up with curly/frizzy hair but as I got older it got straighter and boy was I glad so just imagine my horror when my hair grew back like yours - straight to start with when very short and then VERY curly to the extent that I had ringlets!!! LOL Jenny
  • azgrandma
    azgrandma Member Posts: 609 Member
    Tasgirl said:

I grew up with curly/frizzy
    I grew up with curly/frizzy hair but as I got older it got straighter and boy was I glad so just imagine my horror when my hair grew back like yours - straight to start with when very short and then VERY curly to the extent that I had ringlets!!! LOL Jenny

mine too
    mine started peach like fuzz in april, now the very back is curly, i love it. so far the top is striaght but am hoping it starts to curl also
    heck so glad to finally have hair, we can all say we will never have a bad hair day again
  • lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980 Member
    azgrandma said:

mine too
    mine started peach like fuzz in april, now the very back is curly, i love it. so far the top is striaght but am hoping it starts to curl also
    heck so glad to finally have hair, we can all say we will never have a bad hair day again

BOTH times when my hair grew back it was curly curly!
    Chemo treatments have made me bald twice so far in my cancer journey (with my 3rd 'baldy' due any day now since I've just done 3 dense-dose weekly chemo infusions since my cancer returned again). Both times my hair grew back incredibly curly, even though my hair life-long has been poker-straight. And my lashes and brows came in twice as thick as before cancer (LOVED the long thick lashes, but had to get the eyebrows professional waxed & shaped! HA!) Just an aside: I colored my tiny chemo-curls BOTH times with semi-permanent dye with no ill affects to the hair.) As funny as my little 1" ringlets look, I am sorry to think they are about to fall out again. My lashes and brows and other body hair are already falling out, so I know the skull-cap look will be here again soon. I have 3 wigs and will treat myself to a new one (BLOND this time I think) to ease the disappointment of losing these little curls once again.

(Current photo here is a WIG, taken late May on a cruise I sent on.)
  • nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member

BOTH times when my hair grew back it was curly curly!
    Chemo treatments have made me bald twice so far in my cancer journey (with my 3rd 'baldy' due any day now since I've just done 3 dense-dose weekly chemo infusions since my cancer returned again). Both times my hair grew back incredibly curly, even though my hair life-long has been poker-straight. And my lashes and brows came in twice as thick as before cancer (LOVED the long thick lashes, but had to get the eyebrows professional waxed & shaped! HA!) Just an aside: I colored my tiny chemo-curls BOTH times with semi-permanent dye with no ill affects to the hair.) As funny as my little 1" ringlets look, I am sorry to think they are about to fall out again. My lashes and brows and other body hair are already falling out, so I know the skull-cap look will be here again soon. I have 3 wigs and will treat myself to a new one (BLOND this time I think) to ease the disappointment of losing these little curls once again.

(Current photo here is a WIG, taken late May on a cruise I sent on.)

great wig
    That is a great wig. Who makes it?
  • lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980 Member
    nancy591 said:

great wig
    That is a great wig. Who makes it?

Thanks! It's an Aspen wig, professionally thinned and shaped.
    I bought this wig at a hair replacement salon, and they chose the wigs they thought would look best on me (totally DIFFERENT than the wilder styles and color I chose myself!), then cut and thinned the wig while I had it on. They'd cut off the idenntifying information from the box it came in so that I wouldn't be able to compare what I could have gotten it for online, but the tissue inside the box says 'Aspen' all over it, and I Googled 'Aspen wigs' and that's what this one is. I'm not exactly sure what wig style it is, but the Aspen wigs are really nice, lightweight, & carefree. I have 2 other wigs I bought that are more FUN, but if I wear a wig, this is the one I reach for 90% of the time.

I think today's taxol round will have me totally bald again by this time best week. We'll see! If anyone wants to see how I currently look, wigless and 'Commando', I have the photos from last week's beach vacation posted on Snapfish. You have to give Snapfish an email address & create a password, but that's all and they don't bug you much later on. (Warning: that there are LOTS of photos of my grandkids & family also, but I'm the one with the super-thin scalp-see-through curly crew cut. HA!)
    http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=4415608009/a=42589581_42589581/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/
  • msfanciful
    msfanciful Member Posts: 559
    You bet!
    The first time I

You bet!

The first time I had my 8 rounds of carbo/taxol my hair came back wavy.

I didn't know what to do with it, because all my life I knew how to handle my kinky hair. I always managed my pre-chemo hair with relaxer (straightner) and would wear a cute pixie layered cut; but wavy? It had a mind of its' own and was very difficult to relax! LOL!

It eventually grew back kinky again...I was so happy!

Now this round of weekly taxol took my hair out again, now it's very prickly looking or peach fuzz is a better definition. I hate it. I have no idea what it's going to look like.

So until it makes up its' mind, I've been keeping it cut. I'd rather be bald than have peach fuzz. Hope I don't sound too vain. :-)

Sharon
  • Tina Brown
    Tina Brown Member Posts: 1,036 Member

You bet!
    The first time I

You bet!

The first time I had my 8 rounds of carbo/taxol my hair came back wavy.

I didn't know what to do with it, because all my life I knew how to handle my kinky hair. I always managed my pre-chemo hair with relaxer (straightner) and would wear a cute pixie layered cut; but wavy? It had a mind of its' own and was very difficult to relax! LOL!

It eventually grew back kinky again...I was so happy!

Now this round of weekly taxol took my hair out again, now it's very prickly looking or peach fuzz is a better definition. I hate it. I have no idea what it's going to look like.

So until it makes up its' mind, I've been keeping it cut. I'd rather be bald than have peach fuzz. Hope I don't sound too vain. :-)

Sharon

I am almost 15 weeks post
    I am almost 15 weeks post chemo and my hair(on this picture) has grown back thick and straight. No patches but lots of grey bits. I never had grey hair before so not too pleased about that. What I am pleased about though is my eye lashes. They are much longer than before and my eye brows are just the right shape :)

There are no signs of curls, waves or kinks as yet - but you never know!

Oh Sharon, there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to look your best - so you are not vain. I actually talked about you today to my nail technician. I was saying how much I admire "your look" as you always strive to look the best you can. You look so radiant with no hair. You wear beautiful make-up and always wear dangly earrings and chunky necalaces. In fact you are my role model as I have now been out & bought some jewellry of my own.

Keep at it girl you look amazing xxxxxx Tina
  • azgrandma
    azgrandma Member Posts: 609 Member

I am almost 15 weeks post
    I am almost 15 weeks post chemo and my hair(on this picture) has grown back thick and straight. No patches but lots of grey bits. I never had grey hair before so not too pleased about that. What I am pleased about though is my eye lashes. They are much longer than before and my eye brows are just the right shape :)

There are no signs of curls, waves or kinks as yet - but you never know!

Oh Sharon, there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to look your best - so you are not vain. I actually talked about you today to my nail technician. I was saying how much I admire "your look" as you always strive to look the best you can. You look so radiant with no hair. You wear beautiful make-up and always wear dangly earrings and chunky necalaces. In fact you are my role model as I have now been out & bought some jewellry of my own.

Keep at it girl you look amazing xxxxxx Tina

I hope
    mine is real straight on top and everywhere but the nape of my neck, i am hoping it all comes in curly