Femera

mwallace1325
mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone stopped taking Femera because of side effects? I'm scared to stop but I'm scared to continue. My body feels like I'm at least 106 (I'm really 56) and between hot flashes and mood swings, I feel like I may explode.

Any thoughts or experiences anyone has will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Marge

Comments

• GayleMc
    GayleMc Member Posts: 311 Member
    I started Femara 10 days ago
    I started Femara 10 days ago and haven't had too much trouble YET. I have some achiness. How long have you been on it? I would be interested to know if it has a build up effect and if I can expect more side effects. I'm sorry you are so uncomfortable. Thanking you in advance for your help.
  • mwallace1325
    GayleMc said:

I started Femara 10 days ago
    I started Femara 10 days ago and haven't had too much trouble YET. I have some achiness. How long have you been on it? I would be interested to know if it has a build up effect and if I can expect more side effects. I'm sorry you are so uncomfortable. Thanking you in advance for your help.

I've been on it since mid January, 2010
    I made a list of my side effects and I'm afraid to even mention them all. You've just started and I don't want to jinx you, if all is going well for you. The main problems are joint pain and GERD. I'm thinking about stopping, but the whole "miserable from side effects" or "miserable from a reoccurrence of BC" is not a choice I'm prepared to deal with. I just wish we could see into the future. Thanks for your response. Hope you continue side effect free.
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Femara
    Hi,

I've been on Femara since March 2009 for my widespread pulmonary and pleura metastasis from breast cancer. I had such a good response from it. However, the side effects can be debilitating. I have a lot of bone and joint pain. Fatigue is another problem, but it shares this problem with my other drugs.

I took 7 weeks mini-vacation from Femara in late January until late March. The cancer was beginning to grow back and there were signs telling me to get back on. Which I did.

My spine, hip and foot are my main complaints on this drug. I do have posterior tibial tendonitis dysfunction with osteoarthritis in my right foot. I wear a brace for it. The mini-vacation did allow me to see what was PTTD pain and what was Femara. When I am on Femara, I can't really walk without pain medication. I work and so need to walk and that helps me out a lot.

My cancer is 90% ER positive and so for me AI is the answer. I failed Tamoxifen and Faslodex. I had used Arimidex for 5 years, so I do believe after Femara stops working, I might try Aromasin then Arimidex. I will never do chemotherapy again. So as long as Femara keeps doing it's magic well, I will put up with the pain.

I fell while using Arimidex and had 3 fracture vertebrae. I took some Fosamax and then Boniva to help with the bones. However, this flared up in the form of uveitis (autoimmune disease). I can not take bisphosphonates ever again. If your on AI, you should protect your bones as estrogen depletion can wreck havoc. Vaginal dryness is another problem with AI. While on Arimidex, I used a product called "Estring" which gave lubrication where it was needed. It was a ring worn 3 months inserted in the vagina. Worked very well. They don't want me to use it this time around, perhaps you can.

Perhaps you could ask your oncologist for some pain medication to help with Femara.

Good luck!

SIROD
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    I've been on Femara for 5+
    I've been on Femara for 5+ months and have had no side effects.
  • mwallace1325
    Rague said:

I've been on Femara for 5+
    I've been on Femara for 5+ months and have had no side effects.

Thank you
    Thank you ladies. My onc said not to take a break from it. I guess I'm more scared of a reoccurrence than the side effects. I appreciate your input.