diagnosed with invasive cancer and calcifications

pie
pie Member Posts: 19
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was just diagnosed with stage 2 lobular cancer and have calcifications that have not been biopsied yet. Anyone have calcifications found with their cancer? How were they treated?

Comments

• cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    I was
    I was diagnosed late May with Invasive Lobular Carcinoma in the right breast (6.1cm). Breast MRI showed a calcification on the left breast that I had biopsied. Report came back it was Lobular Carcinoma in Situ so because I'm the 5th in my family to have bc I opted for bilateral mastectomies which I had done June 22. Fortunately my sentinel nodes and others were clean. I'm waiting to speak with oncologist later this month.
    Char
  • Christine Louise
    Christine Louise Member Posts: 426 Member
    My experience
    My mammogram showed extensive microcalcifications in one breast. Biopsy showed Invasive Lobular, Lobular in Situ and Ductal in Situ. Couldn't do lumpectomy -- microcalcs were throughout breast. Opted for bi-lateral mastectomy with immediate tissue expander placement. Lucky decision -- pathology after surgery showed cancer in the other breast too. It hadn't shown up on mammogram.

I hope you know this is just my experience -- it doesn't mean this will be the treatment you will need or choose. Best wishes to you, pie!!!
  • pie
    Thanks Cahjah and Christine
    Thanks Cahjah and Christine Louise for responding. All I have been doing is taking tests and have not received any feedback as to what the surgeon will do. Your comments helped me to narrow down what might possibly happen. Some information is better than none at all.
    I send you much appreciation.
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    pie said:

Thanks Cahjah and Christine
    Thanks Cahjah and Christine Louise for responding. All I have been doing is taking tests and have not received any feedback as to what the surgeon will do. Your comments helped me to narrow down what might possibly happen. Some information is better than none at all.
    I send you much appreciation.

pie,
    My mammogram showed a mass in the left breast and microcalcifications in the right breast. I had biopsies on both sides -- they had to do a stereotactic biopsy to get to the microcalcifications -- and the mass was found to be invasive lobular, the microcalcifications invasive ductal.

Luckily, everything they found was very small, no more than 2 mm, so I was able to have lumpectomies on both sides.

In your case, I would assume they would also want to biopsy the calcifications, unless you've already decided on mastectomy?

Traci
  • pie
    TraciInLA said:

pie,
    My mammogram showed a mass in the left breast and microcalcifications in the right breast. I had biopsies on both sides -- they had to do a stereotactic biopsy to get to the microcalcifications -- and the mass was found to be invasive lobular, the microcalcifications invasive ductal.

Luckily, everything they found was very small, no more than 2 mm, so I was able to have lumpectomies on both sides.

In your case, I would assume they would also want to biopsy the calcifications, unless you've already decided on mastectomy?

Traci

Traci
    I am having the biopsy on Friday. I have not decided on which surgery I want and my surgeon has not decided yet. I just would like this over soon, but it takes so long having one procedure done after another. Mentally, I'm on a roller coaster.
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    TraciInLA said:

pie,

Traci

Microcalcifications showed
    Microcalcifications showed up on my mammogram, which led to a core needle biopsy, which showed invasive bc. I had a lumpectomy followed by radiation.

My tumor was very small, which I was thankful for.

Good luck!
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    pie said:

Traci
    I am having the biopsy on Friday. I have not decided on which surgery I want and my surgeon has not decided yet. I just would like this over soon, but it takes so long having one procedure done after another. Mentally, I'm on a roller coaster.

Breathe, and try to take your time
    pie, I think all of us here can totally relate to the "I just want this over soon" feeling, and the waiting and waiting is SO tough -- but I just want to encourage you to take your time making your decisions, getting as much information and guidance as you can from all the tests and the doctors.

Whatever surgery and course of treatment you and your doctors decide on, these are life-changing decisions. You want to make the best decision for YOU and for your future.

Please keep posting here, and let us know how your biopsy goes on Friday -- we'll all help you through this however we can.

Traci