Make sure you pay your entire premium!

RE
RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hard to believe this, but apparently it is factual.

INSURANCE HORROR STORY OFF BY A PENNY

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    I have heard this....
    But, also, the companies seem to be open when you call to straighten it out...

I am on an HMO, and I feel sometimes like I should be paid by THEM...some of the mistakes were incredible...but not always entirely their fault...the biller for my ONC was lazy, and never followed up...at one point, because of her mess up, I was told I couldn't have treatment...

Thanks for the info, dear Rena!!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Insurance is there for their
    Insurance is there for their profit not your health! Mine raises the premium every year! Since it is high risk pool they can charge twice what everyone else charges. It's really getting expensive!
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Marcia527 said:

Insurance is there for their
    Insurance is there for their profit not your health! Mine raises the premium every year! Since it is high risk pool they can charge twice what everyone else charges. It's really getting expensive!

been there
    Marcia mine just went up 44 percent so I had to change to less coverage to make it affordable, it can be maddening.
  • Marcia527
    RE said:

been there
    Marcia mine just went up 44 percent so I had to change to less coverage to make it affordable, it can be maddening.

I've already got $5000
    I've already got $5000 deductable! They have the gall to send letters reminding us that if we can qualify for other insurance we have to switch! Like this is some kind of deal.
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    KathiM said:

I have heard this....
    But, also, the companies seem to be open when you call to straighten it out...

I am on an HMO, and I feel sometimes like I should be paid by THEM...some of the mistakes were incredible...but not always entirely their fault...the biller for my ONC was lazy, and never followed up...at one point, because of her mess up, I was told I couldn't have treatment...

Thanks for the info, dear Rena!!!!

Hugs, Kathi

Thanks Re for this post.
    Thanks Re for this post. Our insurance is really good and every time I call, they have been very cooperative. I am lucky too, because my rads oncologist and my oncologist have always called them to ok everything ahead of time, so, I didn't have to.

But, I do think what people have to pay that don't have it through their jobs is very unreasonable. I don't think that the so called Health Bill through the government will be much better.
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Marcia527 said:

I've already got $5000
    I've already got $5000 deductable! They have the gall to send letters reminding us that if we can qualify for other insurance we have to switch! Like this is some kind of deal.

My son did not receive a bill 2 times since he has been....
    My son is self-employeed and has had his own health insurance for over 10 years. Over a year ago, he started on dialysis for kidney failure. Since that time, the carrier had the Social Security Dept. call him to see if he needed to file for disability. That would have put him on Medicare and they would no longer need to cover his health care costs. He works full time and doesn't need to be on disability. Two different times, he did not receive his bill and had to call to get the info he needed to be sure his bill got to the right place. Imagine if he was not "with it" enough to realize that the bill had not arrived. Before his diagnosis, he had never missed receiving a bill for 10 years! Hmmmm. Sounds suspicious to me.

Keep your eyes out for your health care bill if you pay it yourself from home.

Roseann
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    roseann4 said:

My son did not receive a bill 2 times since he has been....
    My son is self-employeed and has had his own health insurance for over 10 years. Over a year ago, he started on dialysis for kidney failure. Since that time, the carrier had the Social Security Dept. call him to see if he needed to file for disability. That would have put him on Medicare and they would no longer need to cover his health care costs. He works full time and doesn't need to be on disability. Two different times, he did not receive his bill and had to call to get the info he needed to be sure his bill got to the right place. Imagine if he was not "with it" enough to realize that the bill had not arrived. Before his diagnosis, he had never missed receiving a bill for 10 years! Hmmmm. Sounds suspicious to me.

Keep your eyes out for your health care bill if you pay it yourself from home.

Roseann

I have already paid out of my pocket over $5K, and reached
    the out of pocket - max, so now everything in 100% paid, sad part is that I lose my insurance on 9/30/10 .. and no one will cover me with my preexisting "Breast Cancer".

I am still searching and trying to locate insurance ... wish me luck. HIPPA is dodging my telephone calls, and emails.

Vicki Sam
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    VickiSam said:

the out of pocket - max, so now everything in 100% paid, sad part is that I lose my insurance on 9/30/10 .. and no one will cover me with my preexisting "Breast Cancer".

I am still searching and trying to locate insurance ... wish me luck. HIPPA is dodging my telephone calls, and emails.

Vicki Sam

Insurance
    Vicki Sam I was under the impression that under the new health care laws that if you had a preexisting condition you would not be discriminated against for insurance.

I am so thankful that my husband has excellent health care. I had a $500 hospital copay and that's it. Because I will be getting prostheses my insurance will pay 80% and I'll pay 20%.
    Char
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    cahjah75 said:

Insurance
    Vicki Sam I was under the impression that under the new health care laws that if you had a preexisting condition you would not be discriminated against for insurance.

I am so thankful that my husband has excellent health care. I had a $500 hospital copay and that's it. Because I will be getting prostheses my insurance will pay 80% and I'll pay 20%.
    Char

I live in Michiagan and
    BC/BS of Michiagan is a 'Not for Profit" company and they cannot refuse anyone for anyreason or charge them higher rates (until you qualify for Medicare and then they charge a higher premium for drug coverage). They have a great plan for drug benefits after 65 and it's very reasonable.

My daughter-in-law was in management (32 yrs before a forced retirement)and she said other companies drop people with big expenses, won't enroll them. It's really awful. I feel very lucky to have retiree bc/bs thru my employer.

Judy :-)
  • Marcia527
    VickiSam said:

Vicki Sam

Texas has a high risk pool
    Texas has a high risk pool so pre-existing conditions are waived. You just need to be a resident and have continual insurance. I know things will change with this health bill. Pre-existing conditions clause should be a thing of the past.
  • bakerette
    bakerette Member Posts: 74
    Insurance
    Don't even get me started! Am involved in my own insurance battle and surgery is just a few days away. Nothing is settled! Ay yi yi!!!